SuperChefMate

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Still on the fence about this set. Losing a character doesn't seem like a wise decision, but I agree with others that it definitely shouldn't be Mary.

I feel like its crazy to have seen these in October and still not have a confirmed solicitation. DST should look into Kickstarter FFS.

2 hours ago, Swarm198 said:

Still on the fence about this set. Losing a character doesn't seem like a wise decision, but I agree with others that it definitely shouldn't be Mary.

I feel like its crazy to have seen these in October and still not have a confirmed solicitation. DST should look into Kickstarter FFS.

It’s a sad state of affairs. It’s almost like they announced too soon or it’s taking too long. Really wish we could get into a rhythm for releases across the totality of the line. It always seems to feel like feast or famine. 

On 4/14/2023 at 7:53 PM, Swarm198 said:

It's not Mary. And we're trying to make sets more affordable, so unless we cut paint apps or new parts, fewer characters per set is the game plan. The price is going to go down, is my understanding. 

On 4/14/2023 at 7:53 PM, Swarm198 said:

I showed a sneak peek of 84 artwork at NYCC because 82 was out and 83 was on pre-order, and that's traditionally when we reveal the next series. I honestly thought they would have been solicited by now, I'm trying to get them moved up, but I guess sneak peeks need to be spread out more or eliminated.

Not sure how Kickstarter would change anything, aside from making them available to fewer retailers and killing the line entirely. Amazon, BBTS, EE and Luke currently support the line, I don't know how that would change if we went direct to consumer as our primary venue. Also not sure it's faster. 

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

It's not Mary. And we're trying to make sets more affordable, so unless we cut paint apps or new parts, fewer characters per set is the game plan. The price is going to go down, is my understanding. 

I showed a sneak peek of 84 artwork at NYCC because 82 was out and 83 was on pre-order, and that's traditionally when we reveal the next series. I honestly thought they would have been solicited by now, I'm trying to get them moved up, but I guess sneak peeks need to be spread out more or eliminated.

Not sure how Kickstarter would change anything, aside from making them available to fewer retailers and killing the line entirely. Amazon, BBTS, EE and Luke currently support the line, I don't know how that would change if we went direct to consumer as our primary venue. Also not sure it's faster. 

Please tell me it's not Echo. She looks perfect and we've never had her, before.

Mary and Echo make the set, to me.

Edited by Navaan

12 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

IMHO it would be a tragedy to regress from where we are now . 

It would be but if you think about it those margins have to be slim. I don’t recall them increasing their prices on two packs greatly over the last twenty years. Even the Walgreens two packs came with some accessories and they were under 10 bucks. The company needs to make money to continue to survive and that means increasing profit margins. So something has to give. 

I just wish they communicated to the masses better or figured out how to create a rhythm for interested people that aren’t diehards that come here. Finding out we have two sets coming on the same day without much notice is frustrating for fans of the line. 

I’m surprised no one has done an article showcasing the history of minimates and all of the characters/ licenses that have been made.  I was too young for mego but my understanding is that a huge part of the appeal was being able have captain america interact with batman and the planet of the apes in the same scale/format.   For me that was a huge part of the appeal of minimates.   Something like that could open people’s eyes a little bit and hopefully win some folks over.   

The Minimates brand could definitely benefit from some sort of high profile retrospective. It's one of the longest running single toylines and maintains a rabid cult status (as this very message board indicates). 

18 minutes ago, nandoninny said:

planet of the apes

Also, Planet of the Apes minimates please :D

Edited by NerdyTrev

3 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

I just wish they communicated to the masses better or figured out how to create a rhythm for interested people that aren’t diehards that come here. Finding out we have two sets coming on the same day without much notice is frustrating for fans of the line. 

We have a ship dates calendar on our website, that breaks things down by quarter. I know, three months is a big window, but we can't tell people exactly when they'll be in stores (or in our webstore, for that matter) until they are in our warehouse. International and trans-continental freight shipping is too unpredictable, plus there are warehouse workloads to take into consideration.

I just gave everybody a one- to two-week heads-up, but that may be the best I can do. AEW MM ships tomorrow, MMPR Series 2 ships NEXT WEDNESDAY. So you get to spread out your purchases a little. That said, I'm willing to bet that VERY few people outside of hardcores will be into AEW AND MMPR MM, causing a purchasing dilemma.  

And only hardcores "need" to buy these on release day. Everyone else will buy as they discover them in stores, see ads online or in various publications (Previews, ToyCollectr, and yes, Archie) or see reviews online (I ship this stuff out regularly).

13 minutes ago, Navaan said:

Any chance we can get confirmation of who is still in the pack? Hoping Echo is still safe with her show coming out? I know you said Mary should be clear and good!

I believe we are dropping Kingpin. We made a great Kingpin not too long ago. Don't quote me, we'll all find out next month, I think. 

9 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I believe we are dropping Kingpin. We made a great Kingpin not too long ago. Don't quote me, we'll all find out next month, I think. 

This feels like the best option to me. Kingpin uses the most plastic... and if memory serves, the TRU Bullseye wasn't as easy to find for a lot of folks (and he came out like 15 years ago). I'm glad it's not one of the new characters.

12 minutes ago, Nessex said:

This feels like the best option to me. Kingpin uses the most plastic... and if memory serves, the TRU Bullseye wasn't as easy to find for a lot of folks (and he came out like 15 years ago). I'm glad it's not one of the new characters.

This, this, this. We don't need a black suit Kingpin- it is cool, but honestly, Echo, Mary, and a more militant Bullseye are the killers of the wave.

1 hour ago, Trekker 42 said:

Netflix Kingpin was pretty damn killer too and works very well as a comic black suit Kingpin if need be. He was my first choice to drop and I stand by that being the right choice. 

Amen.

16 hours ago, Swarm198 said:

Well we've been waiting on the animated X-Men wave since October of 2020, so I think I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

I meant from when we offered a set to release would not be faster. It's currently six months or so. The 84 reveal obviously happened too early, but once we offer it it will be six months. Announcing the X-Men series was WAY premature, since Walgreens dropped out after I announced it. I get too excited for this stuff, and tend to spill the beans too early.

That said, the X-Men set is one of the ones we had talked about offering online, in whatever format, but it is not yet on the schedule for a specific date.

3 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I meant from when we offered a set to release would not be faster. It's currently six months or so. The 84 reveal obviously happened too early, but once we offer it it will be six months. Announcing the X-Men series was WAY premature, since Walgreens dropped out after I announced it. I get too excited for this stuff, and tend to spill the beans too early.

That said, the X-Men set is one of the ones we had talked about offering online, in whatever format, but it is not yet on the schedule for a specific date.

Darn you, Walgreens!

Anything new on that new vendor?

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on this one re solicit? Hopeful to get these in my hands!

Need to replace my Echo custom, kitbash my Typhoid Mary minimate, and usinv parts to make a Diamondback stand-in and that Echo hair to update my Panam Palmer minimate.