UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 84 (Daredevil)

SuperChefMate

1 hour ago, elhonez said:

I'm trying to game this one out, here's what I'm thinking:

Hat/Hair: Zoot? Bullock? Doc Brown? Tiger Jacket Rocky? (painted)

Bandanna: Elektra-Devil

Arms: Damaged Superman (or Shadowcat, if I don't think he should be as "tore up")

Gloves: Damaged Cap

Legs/Pelvis: Civil War Damaged Cap

Pelvis Cover: Pole Zombie, painted

What about a chest block? Any solid blue ones, with wrinkled cloth details? Like Sin-Eater, but blue?

For torso, what say you about Paul Monroe, aka Jesus, from the Walking Dead line? It’s a button down but might not be too bad.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Chooch said:

To be fair I knew to look up Night Shift, but name and (bonkers) powers I didn't recall. I wonder if Gypsy Moth just walks behind him fixing things.

Ok - I had to google Gypsy Moth too. Now you're just showing off! 😂

16 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

My wife has a similar pair.:unsure:

🤣

On 10/26/2022 at 9:03 AM, Freaqualizer said:

For torso, what say you about Paul Monroe, aka Jesus, from the Walking Dead line? It’s a button down but might not be too bad.

Hmm maybe too dark? I think I could make a button down work, but need that bright saturated blue to match the Superman / Cap bits.

I think we might be getting closer! I don't see Tatter D. as having ripped abs, but at least part of the chest block would be obscured by the scarf/mask. 90s Cyclops seems to do a little less crossfit, but that would be a pricey chest block.

Expendables Paine looks about right, but is still probably too dark. Hannibal Lecter maybe, assuming the scarf would cover his collar?

• 2 months later...

We're tweaking the set a little bit to try and bring the price down. I'm not sure of the final order numbers on Young Avengers, but the FF set was not a sell-out by any stretch (no pun intended), so we know a $50 set is a tough sell. If we can make a set that runs for $40, we will do that, even if it means it is a five-pack instead of a six-pack. Not sure which character would get cut, or when we'll offer it, but I'll keep everyone posted. Young Avengers set is still set to go as a six-pack, as far as I know.

47 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

We're tweaking the set a little bit to try and bring the price down. I'm not sure of the final order numbers on Young Avengers, but the FF set was not a sell-out by any stretch (no pun intended), so we know a $50 set is a tough sell. If we can make a set that runs for $40, we will do that, even if it means it is a five-pack instead of a six-pack. Not sure which character would get cut, or when we'll offer it, but I'll keep everyone posted. Young Avengers set is still set to go as a six-pack, as far as I know.

One fan's opinion, have no issue losing Bullseye or Kingpin. There are already multiples of them and I personally won't miss them. The others are waaaay to good to lose.

i'm going to say that even though bullseye is one of my favorite characters.......this look isn't one i'd miss.  however, if he came with parts to make regular bullseye then maybe lose kingpin as the last release of bullseye is hard to come by.  i do really like this look for kingpin though so i'd hate to miss out.

that said, don't touch the ladies!!!!  all 3 of them are awesome!  

Edited by nandoninny

I really wish they would go back to 2-packs with a build a figure. The FF set was cool, but a tad pricey. I am passing on the Young Avengers set though since I don't care for any of them. That is something I have never done before for a Marvel Minimates release. 

On 10/26/2022 at 5:39 PM, buttheadsmate said:

My wife has a similar pair.:unsure:

sorry to quote but just wanted to say i howled out loud at this one, as is often the case with your posts BHM XD so good

EDIT: to add to the discussion: i've no idea who to cut from the team and i too think 2-pack with a B-A-F was a solid way of doing things BUT have we ever considered two 3 packs, with a B-A-F or similar linking element between idk i'm just spitballing

Edited by minimateship

On 1/4/2023 at 9:20 PM, Trekker 42 said:

I’d dump Kingpin. This isn’t an iconic look for him and we haven’t had Bullseye since that Thunderbolts 2 pack nobody could find. 

Your post initially threw me ( T'Bolt 2 pack ) ...up to speed now ....TRU Marvel Wave 3 :thumbsup:  You're right that 2 pack was elusive & IMHO nailed the character. 

What may need to be realised is, that that was over 13 years ago :ohmy:*.  On one hand you could say that now is the chance for 'all those' that missed it to get another chance.

Are there really that many Marvel Minimate collectors left that haven't got a 'Bullseye' that would buy this wave to get one? Are there that many new collectors who would desire this over all others ? I don't think there is but that is just my opinion . 

Kingpin ? I have similar opinions .

There are so many iconic characters that could be made that would be loved by new & old (& very old) collectors.

* The Golden era for Marvel Minimate characters.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I get why they didn't go with classic looks for Kingpin & Bullseye but due to that easy drop for those guys since even if a newer collector wanted those characters; they would likely want the classic looks.

Heck this set might be able to do well enough as a 4pk on it's own since we haven't had 2 of the characters ever & yellow DD was long overdue for an update. 

My favorite Marvel MiniMates release-style is still the 4-pack wave model that included a variant and an army-builder. Oh man, I bought so many. I am still drowning in Sentinels, AIM Agents, Dreadnoughts, Hellfire Guards and more. And I love it.

Next up would be the added value of the "build-a-figure" model. Looking at you, Spider-Slayer!

I must confess to not understanding why these models were abandoned. I have only conjecture based on reading-between-the-lines of DST comms, both official and unofficial, and my admittedly limited knowledge of the economics of toy wholesaling and distribution. Plus some n=1 first-hand data of encountering MM product "in the wild," i.e. first-hand experiences with what moved and what didn't. Oh, and anecdotes from you lot.

With that belabored preamble, let the juices flow:

• I gathered that the economics of two-packs / "sticker shock" as a result of inflation due to "macroeconomic headwinds" made the team feel that this model would become untenable to consumers, but...
    • Is that understanding actually correct?
    • Would a huge price tag for a 6-pack actually be that much better? Was DST just testing the waters with this, or was there another reason for confidence in trying this model here?
    • Was the 6-pack pivot a way to hedge against certain 2-packs selling better than others, leaving a glut of the less-popular two packs in a wave on the shelves?
    • Are these big Marvel boxes actually performing worse than the two-packs? It sounds like maybe yes, based on where this thread is going.
    • Are bigger packs the only way forward now, i.e. no going back to previous retail executions like 2-packs?
    • Does it cost less to develop & produce one six pack vs. three two-packs?
    • Were BAFs discontinued due to some license stipulation from Hasbro?
    • Was this pivot in part due to retail pressures, for example product not moving, and dissatisfied retail customers who needed to see something new (big boxes) to have the appetite to try MM again?

Lastly, a tangent: I'm going to get a lot of rotten fruit thrown at me here, but I actually think blind boxes/blind bags are pretty fun -- any thought about returning to these? The price of singles could be appealing relative to the $50 commitment of box sets now. I wouldn't want these for every release, only certain things. Like army builders. Or like what Toy Robot used to do with niche stuff. I have always felt that a very Kirby-inspired, brightly colored set of Celestials would be great in blind boxes, with commons and chases and the whole thing. Their designs fit pretty well with that whole weird vinyl collectible toy vibe.

Really lastly: My summary is that 2-packs are mo' betta for me as a collector. And it was really cool when DST produced Army Builders and BAFs, and I miss 'em. 

i am speaking purely from my ass here with no inside knowledge of any of this but.....

blind packs pissed off a lot of hardcore collectors b/c we're completists and hate the idea of not getting that one per case figure

b/c we're completests, we want the whole set

comic shops were buying a case, selling a set, then sitting on the rest

so they said, lets make better packaging for a set and that way comic shops only have to order what they know they will sell

the people that like to buy doubles of stuff are now upset b/c they need to buy a $50 set to get one extra herbie

i have no idea what the solution is......other than to keep buying as much product as i can to help ensure it keeps coming

i do have a mountain of unopened older sets i should probably start to sell.  

i think the right question would be how to bring in new fans?  by offering favorites?  how did the greatest hits lines do?  by offering new stuff?  like joe and transformers?  

i think more press is needed.  not sure who should be paid off to make sure more toy sites cover these and show off how great they can be but that's what i really wish would happen.

i think offering a figure with something else -- like a comic or a record would help get some exposure to new people.  not sure what record but maybe the soundtrack to the new marvel movie on vinyl with the toy packaged in.  i bought those dvd's that came with figures....but i was already buying the toys so i wasn't a 'new' customer.

Edited by nandoninny

1 hour ago, elhonez said:

My favorite Marvel MiniMates release-style is still the 4-pack wave model that included a variant and an army-builder. Oh man, I bought so many. I am still drowning in Sentinels, AIM Agents, Dreadnoughts, Hellfire Guards and more. And I love it.

Next up would be the added value of the "build-a-figure" model. Looking at you, Spider-Slayer!

I agree with this. Loved this model. No idea of the economics but it certainly made me motivated to buy extras to build the army I want.  I gave away the one or two extra figures that I had no interest in. 

I don't mind whole-team waves, like we have been getting. That said, I would have bought a ton of Doctor Doom 2-packs for that cape alone! 

I am no fan of blind packs. If that is the model then I will buy purely through the secondary market. I want to know what my money is getting me.

Somebody needs to figure out who actually buys Minimates these days . Once that is established then somebody needs to figure out who would potentially buy Minimates .

I actually like the characters in this wave but let's be totally honest , I'm 67 , I have adequate versions of most of the characters & I know who they are .  The original yeloDD 'mate looks bloody awful now but are there that many new Minimate fans going to get excited about this new one ?  I'll be very pleased to get one but it ain't going to generate new blood which is what this line desperately needs.

I realise that the TRU Bullseye was supposedly scarce , for those who wanted one then I'm sorry but that pack was released in 2009 ! Nearly 14 years later , we have a new version of what I consider to have been a perfect Minimate which is being aimed at whom ?  I don't profess to know the answers & I'm concerned whether DST does .