NYCC 2022 MInimates

DSTZach

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do the rangers have any weapons other than Tommy’s sword?

Both sets look amazing! Power Rangers really pop

I am so excited for these!

It does seem interesting. Season 3 (and the first movie, which these designs point very strongly towards) debuted in 1995. The tail end of the VHS era, but still far enough from DVD’s that it feels like an unusual choice…

unless that DVD is a legit thing. Is it like the old DAVE school minimate animations? If that’s the case, it would be an amazing addition to the box set, and then the DVD formatting would make more practical sense in terms of giving the customer a way to easily view the animation.

but my big question is why this set is marketed as ‘season 3’ when everything about those suits looks like the movie designs…?   Is there some sort of licensing issue preventing the use of the movie for marketing purposes?

I assume the shape of the package dictated the DVD box as opposed to the VHS format. DVD cases are narrower relative to the size of the front and with 6 figures instead of 4, the size of the front needs to be larger relative to the depth.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:24 PM, Onyx_6 said:

Do the rangers have any weapons other than Tommy’s sword?

No.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:10 PM, SCW said:

Does the Ranger set actually come with a DVD? That “fake” DVD (assuming it is fake) seems odd. 

Nope, fake DVD. Like the VHS sets come with a fake VHS. 

On 9/27/2022 at 7:08 AM, Donny B said:

but my big question is why this set is marketed as ‘season 3’ when everything about those suits looks like the movie designs…?   Is there some sort of licensing issue preventing the use of the movie for marketing purposes?

No comment.

On 9/26/2022 at 3:41 PM, Padrino said:

These are amazing!!! Unfortunately, large gatherings are impossible for me now. Will they be available to purchase after the show?

Not the promo, but the other two will be on the DST website. And I believe Luke can order them as well, starting around the time of the show.

On 9/26/2022 at 5:32 PM, youbastards said:

@DSTZach any chance you can grab a handfull of the promo AEW mate for us?

Sure!

4 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Not the promo, but the other two will be on the DST website. And I believe Luke can order them as well, starting around the time of the show.

Sure!

Thanks. Just to clarify, is the preorder on midnight Tuesday leading to Wednesday or midnight Wednesday leading to Thursday? 

On 9/28/2022 at 10:26 AM, DSTZach said:

No.

Nope, fake DVD. Like the VHS sets come with a fake VHS. 

No comment.

Aren't the fake VHS tapes actually just the package itself though? I mean, the figures are inside that VHS "tape" and then there's a slipcover, no?

It's weird that the DVD actually includes a physical phony DVD. 

Perhaps instead of a non functioning DVD we could have got the Rangers weapons lol.

It's a picture of a DVD, not a removable fake DVD. So it's not like we spent all the weapons money on it. A real DVD would have significantly increased the cost of the set. A fake DVD wouldn't have been cheap either. 

And I am not a Rangers expert, but someone said they didn't really use weapons in the movie, and this was originally a Movie set. You may have to borrow some of the seven bazillion weapons from the regular TV box sets. 

On 9/30/2022 at 3:34 PM, DSTZach said:

It's a picture of a DVD, not a removable fake DVD. So it's not like we spent all the weapons money on it. A real DVD would have significantly increased the cost of the set. A fake DVD wouldn't have been cheap either. 

And I am not a Rangers expert, but someone said they didn't really use weapons in the movie, and this was originally a Movie set. You may have to borrow some of the seven bazillion weapons from the regular TV box sets. 

Ah, as for the DVD, that's fair. Good sticker I suppose. It looks like a legit DVD.

As for the weapons, been a while since I watched the movie but I don't recall them really using them. But the set feels light on accessories regardless.

These are absolutely gorgeous the packaging renaissance continues! Loving the DVD discussion; I too thought that it was real at first...a curiosity though, is (was?) it more common for promo&special stickers to be on the inside of rental cases in the states? or is this just a case of keeping them off the pretty box fronts/avoiding confusion perhaps. Absolutely stunning regardless & the minimates font looks a little new? or maybe just new to me

on a related note I think the weathered stickers near the dvd are a nifty touch indeed, even though I can't quite make it out (a bee perhaps?)

I think it’s probably more common for stickers to be on the cassettes but certainly plenty of video stores also put them on the cases as well. Just depends on what the store did but cases tended to be more bare in my experience.

I love the attention to detail; the tacky former sticker residue and half ripped off sticker are brilliant and remind me of my university days working in a book store / video rental library.

I'm sure different stores had different practices. We would have stickers on the outside of the box to denote price, genre, rental length, etc... and then stickers on the cassette/dvd itself with the store's logo and information in case they were lost/stolen.

The Ranger set not having weapons other than Saba makes sense if it was restricted to using current molds. While five of the Rangers had folded blade blasters in their respective color; they were never unholstered or used during the movie. Only the White, Pink & Blue used weapons in the movie during a single fight.  White Ranger used Saba like in the show but the Blue & Pink used the Stega Stinger & the Pterodactyl Thunder Whip instead of their weapons that were from the show so to be movie accurate that would have required brand new weapon molds for those items. Also given Saba is sentient; technically he is a character as well as a weapon so I think he merits inclusion easily. As for White Ranger's shield being tampo instead of molded it makes sense when looking at the costumes designs since other than his shoulders it was the exact same chest piece as the other Rangers with no extra bulk but colored to match the shield colors of the show.

Edited by HellfireSamurai

11 hours ago, HellfireSamurai said:

The Ranger set not having weapons other than Saba makes sense if it was restricted to using current molds. While five of the Rangers had folded blade blasters in their respective color; they were never unholstered or used during the movie. Only the White, Pink & Blue used weapons in the movie during a single fight.  White Ranger used Saba like in the show but the Blue & Pink used the Stega Stinger & the Pterodactyl Thunder Whip instead of their weapons that were from the show so to be movie accurate that would have required brand new weapon molds for those items. Also given Saba is sentient; technically he is a character as well as a weapon so I think he merits inclusion easily. As for White Ranger's shield being tampo instead of molded it makes sense when looking at the costumes designs since other than his shoulders it was the exact same chest piece as the other Rangers with no extra bulk but colored to match the shield colors of the show.

IMO even though the chest is less pronounced in the film, the way it's designed it does look to be a raised piece. Slightly more so than the other rangers. Could be an optical illusion with the way the trim goes around it or whatever, but it might not be. Either way on the Minimate it looks, awkward to me. Especially when there is a piece already sculpted that could have been used. Could have easily painted the chest and included the chest piece as well, so people could use both or choose how they use it.

As for the weapons, again, it's less about being "movie accurate" to me (I mean, who cares about movie accuracy it's not officially a "movie" set) and more about value. The set looks barren and it carries the highest price point of the NYCC MM sets. I get that there are more figures, but it just feels a bit light on accessories. Even if they'd just thrown in some of the Ranger's weapons (even though they aren't used in the movie) it would have made the value feel a bit more substantial.

Perhaps they didn't want to spoil the MMPR box set 2 by including the weapons.

And yes, the regular Ranger sets come with tons of weapons. That's cool. But this "movie" set just feels a little light to me.

I'm sure I'll probably end up snagging it because the MMPR stuff has been quite nice.