UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Latest Q&A from DST

Just read the latest Q&A over on the AA boards, and found some interesting Street Fighter "news":

Will the second wave of Street Fighter Minimates be released?

DSTChuck: Not looking good...

Are the Street Fighter 4-packs doing as well as you guys hoped? Do you think they could warrant the release of wave 2? What's your take on the trouble with the first wave? Was it the lack of availability, or would a more popular pool of characters have sold better?

DSTChuck: Sales on the 4 packs have been lukewarm.

So, the future of SF2 isn't looking so bright right now. Did find this interesting though:

In a previous Q&A, I asked if there was a P2 colored Lilith in the blind-packed Street Fighter Minimates made for the Japanese market. In response, you said that you'd have to check the matrix to find out for sure. Have you come across that matrix recently, and does P2 Lilith exist?

DSTChuck: I believe it does exist.

Very deflating news for us SF2 fans, but I think this line is dead. It makes more sense for DST to focus on their core Marvel and Star Trek properties now. Unless we see some new Street Fighter games or movies coming out in the future, I don't think this wave will ever see the light of day.

DSTChuck tells it like it is.

Perfect. Thanks! (I was too lazy to look for myself...)

Now I can work on Blanka (an extra Hulk body should work ok as a base) and Ken (just gotta buy another 4 pack and customize Ryu) at the very least. Civillian Logan could be a good base for Guile.

Too bad they didn't do Honda. I'm thinking Kingpin would make a good base for him.

:(

Talbon, Felicia, Blanka and Ken are some of my favourite Darkstalker and Street Fighter characters, and I was really looking forward to adding them to my Minimate collection.

ok folks..... Before you all mourn the death of SFII mates, bear in mind that the answers on the AA site might not be the most up to date. That Q&A was pretty old and they likely had the answers sitting around for a bit & the last Q&A here sounded a lot more optimistic.

Lets see if we can get Matt to comment..

T.

I've still not given up yet, Street Fighter is one of my favourite games ever! Hopefully with this new surge of minimates this year, they could capitalise an put SF back in the limelight. Maybe a rethinkin of series 2, dropping Felicia and talban (even though I like Dark Stalkers) and include maybe Sagat, Vega, Dhalslim or Balrog, who all can be made from re-used pieces. Whatever the case.....I need a Blanka minimate!

The nail's not in the coffin yet, but I'd say not to get one's hopes up. We've gotten a few conflicting responses through the various Q&A's saying that the line is both doomed, destined to see a second wave, and iffy comments in between. I think if they can hold off on cancelling the line before the upcoming live-action Street Fighter movie (yes, there's supposed to be a new one, look here), it may show some more life. Also, if they can take the plunge and get the second wave out there, they may be surprised by the results. The second wave features a wider variety of different characters, with a few fan favorites tossed in to make it sound. I think the availability of the first wave is what has this line on shaky grounds, because even though I'd never heard of Darkstalkers before these minimates came out, I still bought them when I finally could find them. It doesn't help matters that new Street Fighter games aren't exactly popping up regularly.

Ummmmm about that live ction movie. I think I remember reading something in Tips and Tricks about a director saying something about making another live action SF2 movie. Of course nothing is concrete, but the director did express interest in it.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I'd say after seeing those protos for wave 2 so long ago, then getting no news on it since, we're pretty much in the same place LotR was. I'm not saying the line is dead until AA/DST say something to that effect, but I'm also not holding out hope on seeing anything new from it.

• 4 weeks later...