UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

D&D 80s Cartoon

On 2/15/2023 at 7:44 AM, DSTZach said:

Yes, there are sheets like this for every Minimate. I'd bet there are some old ones that we'd have trouble locating, they may be in a CD-ROM archive somewhere, but I'm sure current designer Barry Bradfield has everything he's ever done. Pre-Barry, Uriel Caton did a lot of work on the line, and I have some of those hand-penciled sheets in my archives. Pre-Uriel you might get to Nelson Asencio, and I don't know how he worked, but I definitely pulled some of his artwork off of discs for use in the 10th anniversary Minimates book.

DSS was part of a library deal, meaning we signed a license to draw on multiple movies from a studio's library. A list of what was available was probably circulated to the staff, and movies were chosen that had potential. Sure, it's not a toyetic action film, but being able to produce a Madonna figure is a pretty great opportunity, sales-wise and press-wise. An action figure would have required her likeness rights, unless the studio had them already (unlikely), but Minimates are non-likeness figures. I'm pretty sure Rocky, Silence of the Lambs, Fistful of Dollars and Platoon were part of library deals, and so were some of the great "lost sets" like Godfather, Beverly Hills Cop and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

this is such a cool post! The products of these library deals are such an exciting part of minimate history, i had no idea about two of those lost sets either, thanks for insight

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/21/2023 at 9:07 AM, minimateship said:

this is such a cool post! The products of these library deals are such an exciting part of minimate history, i had no idea about two of those lost sets either, thanks for insight

You might find this page interesting. A former multiverser I believe and I think there are a couple of unreleased designs there.

https://www.ironcowprod.com/plastic/professional/

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2023 at 6:39 AM, cylonchaney said:

You might find this page interesting. A former multiverser I believe and I think there are a couple of unreleased designs there.

https://www.ironcowprod.com/plastic/professional/

Ah yes! These should be made into a book. 

I just saw D&D movie last weekend.  I loved the nod to the 80's cartoon.  I look forward to finally getting these Minimates.  Also, I have a few pages of hand drawn minimate design work, but I don't think I know who did them.

If it's hand-drawn, it's likely by Uriel Caton. He still designs for us, but mostly on PVC dioramas and statues. I still have some of his artwork I should give away one of these days.

I suppose it could be Nelson Asencio artwork, but that would make it some of the original artwork, from 20 years ago. 

Nowadays all MM design is done by Barry Bradfield, and he works digitally, I believe. 

I will look through my folder.  I also have original art of a Minimate done by Tommy Castillo that my team got done for The Hunt scavenger hunt at SDCC.  I gotta find it all. You have me interested.  One of the items I know is of the original Maestro from the Hulk four pack.

On 4/25/2023 at 3:54 PM, nandoninny said:

oh man -- i loved Tommy!!  i got a few sketches from him (all in sketchbooks).  guy was amazing and just super kind to fans.  last time i talked to him he was in a lot of pain but was optimistic.  very sad to lose him

I met him at a show in Dallas and it was right after Hurricane Katrina. I drove up to the show for a change of scenery.  I bought some of his art and we talked for a long time about what I was going back home to.  Real nice guy. I sought him out at shows after that.

I have many more sheets than I thought.  Some are just parts to figures or even part of the figure, but several are nice drawings on the character design sheet.  

Wow! That's great! Let's get Joes up there too.

With as epic as the packaging is for these D&D mates, any chance those photos could be added? 

I personally was "in" from the start, but the retro TSR packaging would have taken me over the line if I was on the fence at all 

Design sheets were always one of my favorite things. I've got a folder of them on my old computer; they were always really useful to crib from and make custom decals. I also have some originals that an extremely cool person from DST sent me as a thank you for picking up some exclusives. One of them was even an unproduced figure.

Also, in looking back through this thread I wanted to expand on the Desperately Seeking Susan question; other longtimers here can probably back me up, but I remember Chuck saying that his wife is a huge Madonna fan, and he basically made him for her when he saw that was part of the blanket license. Then when Urban Outfitters picked them up they actually became one of the most successful releases of all time.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, spidermatt said:

Hi Zach! With new licenses comin out has there been any thought about Doctor Who minimates? Like these other lines theres a big back log of characters to chose from.

Lord knows it's time for Dr. Who mates.

Maybe they'd regenerate some interest in the minimate line. :)