D&D 80s Cartoon

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, elhonez said:

I'd write a blank check for more of these, sight unseen. 

Anyway...

What's the packaging going to look like?

Based on the listing details, I believe the packaging will be like the Power Ranger Series 1 packaging, which I think is amazing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Siiiick.

@Zach, are there design sheets like this for every MiniMate ever created? Does DST keep them all, or are some lost to the sands of time?

Also, total tangent, but how in the actual hell did the "Desperately Seeking Susan" two-pack come about?

4 minutes ago, elhonez said:

Siiiick.

@Zach, are there design sheets like this for every MiniMate ever created? Does DST keep them all, or are some lost to the sands of time?

Yes, there are sheets like this for every Minimate. I'd bet there are some old ones that we'd have trouble locating, they may be in a CD-ROM archive somewhere, but I'm sure current designer Barry Bradfield has everything he's ever done. Pre-Barry, Uriel Caton did a lot of work on the line, and I have some of those hand-penciled sheets in my archives. Pre-Uriel you might get to Nelson Asencio, and I don't know how he worked, but I definitely pulled some of his artwork off of discs for use in the 10th anniversary Minimates book.

4 minutes ago, elhonez said:

Also, total tangent, but how in the actual hell did the "Desperately Seeking Susan" two-pack come about?

DSS was part of a library deal, meaning we signed a license to draw on multiple movies from a studio's library. A list of what was available was probably circulated to the staff, and movies were chosen that had potential. Sure, it's not a toyetic action film, but being able to produce a Madonna figure is a pretty great opportunity, sales-wise and press-wise. An action figure would have required her likeness rights, unless the studio had them already (unlikely), but Minimates are non-likeness figures. I'm pretty sure Rocky, Silence of the Lambs, Fistful of Dollars and Platoon were part of library deals, and so were some of the great "lost sets" like Godfather, Beverly Hills Cop and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Thanks for the context! To be clear, I harbor only incredulity, not disdain for that set -- if it were up to me there'd probably be Murder She Wrote, Max Headroom, Glengarry Glen Ross, and/or 60 Minutes MiniMates. 'Mate em all, I say.

Also I had no idea Ferris Bueller was ever on the docket. That is a tragic loss to be sure.

But back to our regularly scheduled programming: D&D rules, I love how Warduke turned out. Any plans past these first two sets, or will it be wait-and-see?