UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

D&D 80s Cartoon

It’s confirmed by Zach, 2 six packs, one for heroes another for villains. 

So, I believe the heroes are pretty obvious, can’t wait to see the designs for Hank, Eric, Diana, Presto, Sheila & Bobby. 

Besides Venger, which other villains do you guys think will be in that set?

I think these are a home run @DSTZach

Edited by Carlos_

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm guessing Uni and Dungeonmaster for the mini-minimates ... I also hope, since i believe were both in the cartoon, that we see Strongheart and Warduke.

Those two, plus the main toon cast, are characters I have wanted to make for so long. It is a tough one for customizers, since each figure would require a bunch of new accesories and parts.

This line is up there with me, as much as Thundercats and GI Joe. Was hoping for all three since the early days ... 20 years ago at this point!

I'm loving this new age of minimates. I'm happy DST hasn't given up on our favorite little figures. Only a few other properties would get me this pumped... I still hope for Hanna-Barbera, MOTU, Silvehawks and Battle Of the Planets...

Damn. Drizzt Do'Urden falls under D&D. Surely there is a way for you to make Minimates based on his books. He is probably the most well known character from the D&D realm. I bought the figure that Hasbro released last year and would love a Minimate to go along with him.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:07 PM, Mattallica said:

now these could be  cool, i just hope they are affordable

On 7/2/2022 at 6:57 PM, DSTZach said:

6-pack prices are locked in, I believe, at $50. Most will include a seventh mini-figure like HERBIE.

...and they're not!

almost 8 1/2 bucks per MM, that's crazy, for example(and not a great one) marvel legends are $25 ish but are about 10 times as much plastic, more tooling, paint apps, packaging etc.

i guess ill just have to wait until these inevitably hit Amazon at a discount 

55 minutes ago, Mattallica said:

...and they're not!

almost 8 1/2 bucks per MM, that's crazy, for example(and not a great one) marvel legends are $25 ish but are about 10 times as much plastic, more tooling, paint apps, packaging etc.

i guess ill just have to wait until these inevitably hit Amazon at a discount 

I think your math is wrong on a LOT of that (MAYBE plastic, MAYBE total tooling depending on the ML buck used, but packaging and paint apps, including tampo printing, are comparable, if not more elaborate), but it doesn't matter, because there isn't a direct relationship between cost and height. Reaction figures go for $20, and while I will admit that is kind of a rip-off, they are usually 100% new tooling, variants notwithstanding. 

This is the new price of Minimates, due to all of the increased costs in manufacturing, materials and transportation. I HOPE everyone will stick around, but I know it is a tough row to hoe. I'm hoping the 4-packs will stay at $30, I have not heard of any change there. NO idea how much the AEW 2-packs will cost, and that has not been finalized, but I will assume around $13-15.

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

I think your math is wrong on a LOT of that (MAYBE plastic, MAYBE total tooling depending on the ML buck used, but packaging and paint apps, including tampo printing, are comparable, if not more elaborate), but it doesn't matter, because there isn't a direct relationship between cost and height. Reaction figures go for $20, and while I will admit that is kind of a rip-off, they are usually 100% new tooling, variants notwithstanding. 

This is the new price of Minimates, due to all of the increased costs in manufacturing, materials and transportation. I HOPE everyone will stick around, but I know it is a tough row to hoe. I'm hoping the 4-packs will stay at $30, I have not heard of any change there. NO idea how much the AEW 2-packs will cost, and that has not been finalized, but I will assume around $13-15.

wait wait wait if you're going to call me out on this lets go over your statement here.

my math is wrong on a lot of that ?  i named 4 things: plastic, tooling, paint and packaging

you then say ok maybe plastic(anyone can see that there is a lot more plastic used in the average ML fig compared to a MM)" and tooling (come on really look at all the detail on a ML fig compared to a Basic MM its no contest) so that's two out of four right there not "a lot", but then there are the other two, packaging its again a no brainer ML are bigger and therefor the packaging is bigger ie more cardboard and plastic, then paint, ML use more variety of colors and a hell of alot more just to cover those figs than on  MM again that's easy for anyone to see, so how is my math off?

and when did i say there was a  "relationship between cost and height" ?

its funny how some manufacturers are using the current world situation as an excuse to raise their prices to unfair levels while some like McFarlane toys are making it work with only slight increases, and don't play the "increased costs in manufacturing, materials and transportation" line to justify a 100% mark up from a year or so  ago ( we  were paying $8 for a two pack of MM a year or so ago) again other manufacturers are not doubling their prices.

Edited by Mattallica

Okay, MY math was wrong. You were wrong about HALF of what you said, not most. But ML does not use 10x the material across the board. 

Okay, you could argue that a ML uses 10x the plastic of a MM. I can see that. And while I am frequently informed that ML re-uses body tooling at a high-ish rate, let's ignore that since ALL MM bodies and heads use the same tooling and say they have 10x the NEW tooling on one ML vs. 1 MM. Say 1-2 steel tools per ML vs. 1 tool for 4-6 MM.

But packaging is comparable dollar for dollar. Our blister for $30 worth of MM is comparable to a $25 ML package. So let's say 4× cost. And the amount of printing and number of paint applications on one MM is, I think, comparable to that of one ML. The AMOUNT of paint is not the primary cost, the number of things they have to paint is. And printing on 11 different MM parts adds up. 

As far as "using" the current reality as an "excuse" to raise prices, that's a heck of an accusation. While I'm sure some items like gas and cars are seeing artificial inflation, toys made overseas, of plastic, by a large population of real people, not machines, are absolutely seeing an increase in costs.

Plus, more expensive items can absorb increases in cost easier than low-priced items. I've said before that MM don't have a very large profit margin, so a few cents' increase in cost per MM can severely impact the amount of profit we make, making MM literally not worth making. We have to increase the price just to make them profitable and pay salaries. We can't sell a toy at break-even prices. 

The number of sets made also affects price. We can charge WG less for a set made at Walgreens numbers than we can for a set made at specialty store numbers. And WG can charge less because they don't need to make a large a profit.. they make their money in volume, and charge more for other things. WG two-packs were $8, but specialty two-packs were $10. And now they need to be more. 

Note that although the cost increases are the same, we have not increased the price of Marvel Select (yet), because a few cents can be absorbed by our profits on that line. We aren't making as much, but so far it is manageable within the pricing structure. So McFarlane is either absorbing the cost increases, or they were selling their figures for too much to begin with.

Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to explain the reality.

Edited by DSTZach

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

Okay, MY math was wrong. You were wrong about HALF of what you said, not most. But ML does not use 10x the material across the board. 

Okay, you could argue that a ML uses 10x the plastic of a MM. I can see that. And while I am frequently informed that ML re-uses body tooling at a high-ish rate, let's ignore that since ALL MM bodies and heads use the same tooling and say they have 10x the NEW tooling on one ML vs. 1 MM. Say 1-2 steel tools per ML vs. 1 tool for 4-6 MM.

But packaging is comparable dollar for dollar. Our blister for $30 worth of MM is comparable to a $25 ML package. So let's say 4× cost. And the amount of printing and number of paint applications on one MM is, I think, comparable to that of one ML. The AMOUNT of paint is not the primary cost, the number of things they have to paint is. And printing on 11 different MM parts adds up. 

As far as "using" the current reality as an "excuse" to raise prices, that's a heck of an accusation. While I'm sure some items like gas and cars are seeing artificial inflation, toys made overseas, of plastic, by a large population of real people, not machines, are absolutely seeing an increase in costs.

Plus, more expensive items can absorb increases in cost easier than low-priced items. I've said before that MM don't have a very large profit margin, so a few cents' increase in cost per MM can severely impact the amount of profit we make, making MM literally not worth making. We have to increase the price just to make them profitable and pay salaries. We can't sell a toy at break-even prices. 

The number of sets made also affects price. We can charge WG less for a set made at Walgreens numbers than we can for a set made at specialty store numbers. And WG can charge less because they don't need to make a large a profit.. they make their money in volume, and charge more for other things. WG two-packs were $8, but specialty two-packs were $10. And now they need to be more. 

Note that although the cost increases are the same, we have not increased the price of Marvel Select (yet), because a few cents can be absorbed by our profits on that line. We aren't making as much, but so far it is manageable within the pricing structure. So McFarlane is either absorbing the cost increases, or they were selling their figures for too much to begin with.

Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to explain the reality.

how was i WRONG about half my statements?

figure to figure a ML uses lets say 10x  the plastic  of a MM

packaging wise you cant change it and say $30 worth of MM vs $25 of ML it has to stay figure to figure not 1ML vs 4 MM so two MM in a tiny box vs 2 ML with their giant packaging they use a ton more

paint you say the number of apps is comparable ok, but you cant disregard the amount of paint even if its just a bit still its not free so more =more$ because as you said a few cents can "severely impact"  the price.  i believe the average ML has at least 11 parts by the way so...

tooling im sure you can fit alot more "new" parts on a MM one than a ML just based on the scale of the parts, both lines have a lot of reused parts but i still give the nod to ML they always have new heads, and accessories lately MM have been very vanilla mates with paint and maybe one or two accessories. so the whole body is reused every time so another one on the list that i was " right" about but you want to ignore that. hmm

just imagine a MM deadpool vs a ML deadpool same colors same(id say ML would have more but whatever) apps its going to be more paint, more plastic more packaging more $ but they have only raised their prices what 25% MM have doubled in price in the last year or 2, so yeah a few cents can raise the price but double come on,   and if they are not profitable i can understand, but trying to squeeze the fans  for them to turn a profit is crap. if specialty 2 packs were $10 why are they now essentially $17 (6pack $50/3) thats quite the bit of inflation compared to the competition. 

i also understand how it works when you can sell in higher numbers via a store like WG to have them be a bit cheaper for the consumer, so whose fault is that get out there and sell them to some big store buyers, i see all kinds of crap toys being sold in target, walmart etc surly dst could land one of them if they really wanted to, maybe they need better marketing.

FYI  McFarlane is absorbing the cost increases, it can be done.

i dont know why you bring up unrelated things like the relationship between cost and height, and Marvel select, who was talking about either one of those things? not Me.

and no i dont think youre trying to pick a fight but it does seem funny how you always quote me then try to refute my posts

Edited by Mattallica

6 hours ago, Mattallica said:

and no i dont think youre trying to pick a fight but it does seem funny how you always quote me then try to refute my posts

It's actually not funny when you say we're taking advantage of false data to artificially increase prices.  

Quick hits:

- One four-pack of MM uses about as much packaging material as one ML figure. So it's more like 1:4 than 1:10. I couldn't do the math on one MM in packaging, as we haven't done that in a while. 

- Yes, ML have 11 parts or so. But they don't have to hand-print detailed linework on 2-3 sides of every part. That's why I said the paint costs were comparable on a MM.

- I mentioned MS because it demonstrated in our own stable of products why McFarlane doesn't have to change their price -- high-priced toys can absorb a few cents change easier than low-priced toys. 

And MM have not doubled in price, unless you are comparing a mass-market produced, underpriced WG 2-pack MM from two years ago to a specialty-produced 4-pack MM from six months from now. Then, absolutely. BUT if we were making MM for Walgreens today, they couldn't possibly offer them for $7.50, no matter how little profit they want to make. It would probably be closer to $10 or $12, and then, only due to volume. 

And you can't just dismiss "if they're not profitable" as an "I understand." Do you want Minimates? Then we need to pass that cost increase on. If MM fans -- old AND NEW -- don't want to pay it, then they will die a natural death, not living on life support, where we make the product and sell it at zero-profit prices.

And we certainly try to sell to larger stores. Marketing can help get it in front of consumers, but Sales needs to get it in front of retailers. (It's complicated, I know.) License has a lot to do with it, hopefully AEW action figures selling out regularly will lead some retailers to bring Minimates in. BUT hopefully the marketing we did on the license announcement will bring consumers and retailers to the table, the story was picked up pretty widely by sports and toy sites alike. 

I take little joy in refuting posts, but I think it's necessary in order for fans to really understand what's going on. 

3 hours ago, DSTZach said:

It's actually not funny when you say we're taking advantage of false data to artificially increase prices.  

Quick hits:

- One four-pack of MM uses about as much packaging material as one ML figure. So it's more like 1:4 than 1:10. I couldn't do the math on one MM in packaging, as we haven't done that in a while. 

- Yes, ML have 11 parts or so. But they don't have to hand-print detailed linework on 2-3 sides of every part. That's why I said the paint costs were comparable on a MM.

- I mentioned MS because it demonstrated in our own stable of products why McFarlane doesn't have to change their price -- high-priced toys can absorb a few cents change easier than low-priced toys. 

And MM have not doubled in price, unless you are comparing a mass-market produced, underpriced WG 2-pack MM from two years ago to a specialty-produced 4-pack MM from six months from now. Then, absolutely. BUT if we were making MM for Walgreens today, they couldn't possibly offer them for $7.50, no matter how little profit they want to make. It would probably be closer to $10 or $12, and then, only due to volume. 

And you can't just dismiss "if they're not profitable" as an "I understand." Do you want Minimates? Then we need to pass that cost increase on. If MM fans -- old AND NEW -- don't want to pay it, then they will die a natural death, not living on life support, where we make the product and sell it at zero-profit prices.

And we certainly try to sell to larger stores. Marketing can help get it in front of consumers, but Sales needs to get it in front of retailers. (It's complicated, I know.) License has a lot to do with it, hopefully AEW action figures selling out regularly will lead some retailers to bring Minimates in. BUT hopefully the marketing we did on the license announcement will bring consumers and retailers to the table, the story was picked up pretty widely by sports and toy sites alike. 

I take little joy in refuting posts, but I think it's necessary in order for fans to really understand what's going on. 

Where did i say you're "taking advantage of false data to artificially increase prices.? " dont put words in my mouth

i simply said you were trying to have the fans/consumers pay more of a price increase than other companies, i have no access to your data, so how would i know if its false or not?

okay:

"One four-pack of MM uses about as much packaging material as one ML figure. So it's more like 1:4 than 1:10. I couldn't do the math on one MM in packaging, as we haven't done that in a while"

i dont believe i said 10x as much packaging i said more, your misconstruing things.

but on a 1:1 ratio or a 2pack to two Ml figures its obvious that ML uses way more.

-" Yes, ML have 11 parts or so. But they don't have to hand-print detailed linework on 2-3 sides of every part."

ok maybe they dont but do MM? really? c'mon

"MM have not doubled in price, unless you are comparing a mass-market produced, underpriced WG 2-pack MM from two years ago to a specialty-produced 4-pack MM from six months from now. Then, absolutely."

you kind of answered your own question here, yes as a consumer i was paying @$8 for a two pack(@$4 per MM) now its $30 for a 4 pack($7.50 per mate)so roughly a 100% increase in price in 1-2 years 

"And you can't just dismiss "if they're not profitable" as an "I understand." "

i can and did, like any other product i understand that a company not being able to turn a profit may end up  canceling that product, would i be happy about that? No but i certainly  understand it.

"Do you want Minimates?"  i think i  already answered that but , Yes, do i want to pay way too much for them compared to other products? NO!

"And we certainly try to sell to larger stores. Marketing can help get it in front of consumers, but Sales needs to get it in front of retailers. (It's complicated, I know.)"

Ooh salty, yes i misspoke/typed i meant Sales not Marketing 

"License has a lot to do with it, hopefully AEW action figures selling out regularly will lead some retailers to bring Minimates in. BUT hopefully the marketing we did on the license announcement will bring consumers and retailers to the table, the story was picked up pretty widely by sports and toy sites alike. "

I hope it does lead to MM ending up in larger outlets of course, i wonder how wrestling fans will view the value of a $30(or more?) 4pack of MM to a $20 6" figure? 

"I take little joy in refuting posts, but I think it's necessary in order for fans to really understand what's going on." 

and i appreciate you talking to us, but as you have admitted in our back and forth you seem to "make" a lot of errors in your information.