UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spiderman: No Way Home, Thoughts?

MiniFiend UK

I've just watched it for the second time. I took my Grandson to see it.

Seeing the excitement and hearing it as well from a kid makes it all the more a better movie for me. Like prob the majority of ppl here we know the history and backstory of the all the plots and comic series that the MCU an also the DCU are pulling from and that can at times make us overly nitpicky or critical of not being 100% true to the source material.

So as I said I went with my 10 year old Grandson. He knew there was villains from the none MCU  movies from the trailer and he seen the other Spidey movies on TV with me or his Mum and Dad but because we try an keep his online activitys balanced for his age he hasnt got in the habit of tracking down spoilers etc for stuff. That was all he knew, so his excitement when it all came together for the big sequences etc was just great.

Is No Way Home the best Spidey movie? I Dunno but it sure is a blast going in with an open mind an just buzzing off the reaction of someone who is all in for the ride just makes it awhole lot of fun.

It's rather good in that regard, an incredible achievement in terms of 'comfort food' drawing from the 'canon' of superhero cinema. The real world and fairly mainstream context regarding the intricacies of who has had and will have the rights to Spidey makes the achievement all the more impressive for many, especially given the sizeable cinematic history of the character, but I try to leave those sorts of perspectives out of my thinking. Thus, it's all the more incredible the film manages to weave the magic of all these Spider-Men reunited at last into its very fabric. I've heard some say the film executes this endeavour at the expense of many things but I'd perhaps wager that such an undertaking could only ever have been undertaken wholeheartedly, for good or ill.

Very cool to jam in the villains as well though, I've always loved DaFoe's Goblin and Molina's Octopus as I saw them at cinema at just the right age, with my grandmother :) No Way Home is certainly a crowning jewel in the cinematic Spider-Man crown. I'm not sure I'd call it the best, even if just for much of its power deriving from knowledge of a larger cinematic 'canon' but it's absolutely an achievement, even if it it is in essence culminative. My pick for best may even be Raimi's Spider-Man 2, but that and No Way Home would undoubtably make a tremendous double feature

I have got to say, I felt like it was off to a very rushed and rocky start. But I suppose they needed a bit of rushing in order to establish the scenario and all the characters with enough time to let the actual movie unfold. 
Once it did kick in, I had a very good time. There were a few laughs, and I will fully admit to shedding a tear or two. 
I feel a bit badly for the Amazing Spider-Man villains. They just never had the gravitas or screen presence of the original trilogy's antagonists. There were a few too many 'in jokes' made

Spoiler

(especially at how ridiculous Electro was, and how 'cool' he is now).

You know, the sort of joke that borders on breaking the forth wall and giving the audience a knowing wink. 
I will, however, give the team absolute props for finding a way to let

Spoiler

Andrew Garfield find some small amount of redemption. It was one of the quieter moments in the film where they just let the actor tell the story with his face and genuinely hit me right in the feels. 

I'm currently watching my way through the series from the start with my partner (he's never seen any of the MCU films), so I'll be curious to see how I feel about it on second watch.