• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I don't even really do customs, but I see a bunch of obvious choices here:

She-Hulk

Namor

Aunt May (sorry Bones)

Plus, lotsa new hairpieces (not meant to be a dig on Shatner)

And those accesories, while very specific to Trek, are AWESOME!

So this really isn't the announcement? Maybe it IS Spider-Man 3 'mates.

I've been hanging-on to a Playmates Galileo shuttle and an AMT/ERTL command bridge model (2" scale is nearly perfect for these) for just this occassion.

cdubya - Can you give us a comparison pic of the AMT/ERTL model? I'm thinking about ordering the command bridge model. It looked about right to fit the new 2" Trek Minimates. It would be fun to put together while I await these new Trek Minimates!

(Yeah, yeah, I'm supposed to be on a Minimate free hiatus. But all this great news is pulling me back in!)

I've been hanging-on to a Playmates Galileo shuttle and an AMT/ERTL command bridge model (2" scale is nearly perfect for these) for just this occassion.

cdubya - Can you give us a comparison pic of the AMT/ERTL model? I'm thinking about ordering the command bridge model. It looked about right to fit the new 2" Trek Minimates. It would be fun to put together while I await these new Trek Minimates!

(Yeah, yeah, I'm supposed to be on a Minimate free hiatus. But all this great news is pulling me back in!)

And welcome back, JP!

cdubya, or any one, I second JP's request. Can we get more details and/or pics of both the bridge model and the Galileo? (I thought Playmates stuff was 5"?)

Alright, I'm ready to preorder a case. I'm surprised (and glad!) that Capt. Pike will be in a regular pack; I assumed he would be a variant of Kirk. All the accessories look great, especially the shoulder-strap tricorder.

VINA VINA VINA!

:)

Look great

Can't wait

"these 2" Minimates will be in scale with all past releases" - then they'll be 3"?

OK, I guess it is officially time for me to give up on the 3" scale (except for DCD doing it for the bigguns). Goodbye little minimate thumbs... I'll miss ya.

*pours out 3" of a 40 on the ground*

Forgive me, but I think the previous 3-inch mates had much better likenesses than the current ones.

Can't argue with that. I don't see why they didn't simply use the existing (and pre-approved) art and just reduce it to fit the new scale.

And I'm a little concerned that this is nothing but TOS. I know we're celebrating the 40th but there's been all sorts of demand for other characters that wouldn't saturate the market so much. I really think they should have gone with a TOS 2-pack, a DS9 2-pack, and an ENT 2-pack.

Oh, and screw the chase figures. I friggin' hate those. Still. (Although having an extra Scotty body makes for a perfect redshirt custom opportunity. In which case ALL chase figures should come with potential army builders.)

Hey Ady. I know this isn't a solicitation, but is this announcement enough to warrant a dedicated Trek forum? B)

And I'm a little concerned that this is nothing but TOS. I know we're celebrating the 40th but there's been all sorts of demand for other characters that wouldn't saturate the market so much. I really think they should have gone with a TOS 2-pack, a DS9 2-pack, and an ENT 2-pack.

My only concern there would be Street Fighter-itis. Y'know, that disease where we only get part of a line of figures and have to wait for some special retailer exclusive to get the rest of the figures that should have come out in the first place? Unfortunately, there is no cure other than releasing waves of figures such as this one - where all the central players are included in the first go around.

I think AA/DST have proven that TOS is the best place to start with. It is the (arguably) most iconic, so it helps to build the fanbase before moving on to other properties. It makes sense. DST is even going back to TOS with TWOK, more than likely to help re-establish the base before moving on to DS9 (at least that is what it looks like to me).

Then again, I'm afraid to build an argument on anything in the toy industry, as shaky as it is right now.

Love 'em! I am kind of a (insert favored trek fan term here) I'm going to guess that won't surprise to many of you, lol My trek of choice is by far and away TOS its what I grew up with. I really like the choices they've made but I'm sorry theres no nameless red shirt for away team adventures fatalities. poor scotty I imagine he will be decapitated many times

And welcome back, JP!

cdubya, or any one, I second JP's request. Can we get more details and/or pics of both the bridge model and the Galileo? (I thought Playmates stuff was 5"?)

Sorry guys, I haven't even put the model together myself yet (in the event that this line got canned and I wanted to resell it). I do assure you though, the scale is compatible with the standard 2" mates. The figures (Kirk, Spock, and Sulu) are 2" and while their proportions are normal compared to the blockier minis, everything seems to be the right height and scale(although the chairs are a tad slender for accuracy-nards, but "hey, this is the super-D mini-verse!"). I purchased the Galileo years ago to shuttle my 3" minis, but was a bit disappointed in how large they seemed in comparison to the door(mind you, it was extremely out of scale for the 5" that it was intended for), and remember thinking how I wish that these Minimates were 2" after posing Spidey in the doorway and interior(a much better fit)...prophecy fulfilled! The enormous seats had to be removed and I have yet to find replacements, but this news has definitely rekindled my interest in doing so! I will try to take a few photos of the Galileo with some minis and perhaps a few of the bridge model pieces to give a better idea of what I'm talking about (once I remember which box in the garage/toy vault I stored these in!). Who knows, if the damn weather weren't so cold (for spray-painting), I might even manage to slap the kit together. We probably won't get these mates until next Fall, so I've got some time to prepare.