UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

how often do you guys experience quality issues?

lately i’ve been picking up a few things i’ve been wanting from past lines, and i’ve had more than a few parts break off almost immediately.

both of the x force box sets i’ve picked up had problems (cable’s hand breaking, domino’s leg breaking at the hip) and now my new nova + symbiote venom had both figures with bad hips. all of them were new and sealed, but purchased through ebay.

should i be more gentle? it feels like a really thick paint app clogging things up

Despite my notoriously general griping I am lucky enough perhaps to say that, IMHO ,there are very few minimates that have given me issues.  Hydro-man is my particular boogey (more than one) but I am sure other collectors will dwell on theirs. 

X-Force box set ?  10+ years old which is perhaps irrelevant (or not) ?  However this sad f**k  once dipped all his 'new ' additions in warm ,soapy water . Unnecesary ? Perhaps but  maybe that's why I haven't had many problems. 

Edited by buttheadsmate

1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

Despite my notoriously general griping I am lucky enough perhaps to say that, IMHO ,there are very few minimates that have given me issues.  Hydro-man is my particular boogey (more than one) but I am sure other collectors will dwell on theirs. 

X-Force box set ?  10+ years old which is perhaps irrelevant (or not) ?  However this sad f**k  once dipped all his 'new ' additions in warm ,soapy water . Unnecesary ? Perhaps but  maybe that's why I haven't had many problems. 

not as sad as the guy with a small gang of broken figures lol

thanks for the tip though i’ll give it a try going forward

That's definitely a downside to playing catch-up. There's no contacting customer service at DST to get replacement parts for certain figures. 

I've only had to deal with DST CS two or three times and made out okay but the issues were with the most current releases. 

Yes, I'd recommend being gentle. I've cringed watching unboxing videos of NEW figures being manhandled right out of the package. I treat my plastic crack with respect. When in doubt; warm, soapy water.  

Given the sheer volume I buy and work with, statistically few quality issues, but a small handful nonetheless.

I've only encountered one missing accessory. But I have had four mates break. One was a Best Of Reed Richards arm peg that came right off, two others were lower leg/shin parts, Sasquatch and Blastaar. And I bought a (used) blue Professor X whose head peg came right off when removing the head.

Re: deco: One deco quality issue was well documented: a Spidey box set that was rushed in production that had significant paint issues. More recently (minor): GSXM Colossus's boot deco didn't come out great.

thanks for chiming in guys, i guess i was more trying to see if there’s a specific era to be mindful of. from when i first started collecting til my initial break around ~Wave 11, i don’t think i ever had any issues. of the newest mates, i think one roadworn hero thor had a hip problem right after purchasing from WG, but for the most part they’re solid. just seems like there was a noticeable difference in the plastic itself and then the heavy, glossy paint pretty much seals the joints lol.

anyway! gonna use this time to salvage what i can. good news is nova can still use his flight base instead of his broke-ass legs haha

When it comes to breaking the little bastards would do that all the time. It was sadly rather universal. 
However DC in particular had a lot of trouble with the inside of the torso cracking and not holding in legs correctly so watch for that. 

There was also this weird era right around Scorpion/House of M Spider-Man times where the figures had a defect where there were weirdly short neck pegs. It caused the heads to sit much closer to the neck and they weren’t able to move as effectively. It wasn’t an issue that lasted long but it kinda got on my nerves. 
Compare The Vertibre-Challenged Spider-Girl here with the more elegantly necked Superior Spider-Man (allhailIvanmayhereignforeverandletmehavefirstcrackathiscollectionshouldheevergetoutofthegame)

http://minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=816&n=Spider-Girl

http://minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=1823&n=Superior+Spider-Man

Edited by Trekker 42