UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

For a new Minimates collector: Any suggestions?

novafan3

Hello Minimate Multiverse forum users,

I am a huge marvel comics and action figures fan and collector. I have collected for years, mainly 6" Marvel Legends and single-issue comics, but I've recently taken a liking to Minimates. They have made a striking impression on me mainly because of the close accuracy to comic art, poseability, abundance of accessories, and overall accessibility. I have owned a few in the past, and currently own the absorbing man and captain america 2-pack from series 5. 

So, here is my question:

For a user looking to build a marvel collection, what are your suggestions for marvel minimates for certain characters and what should I be looking out for?

i would think about what costumes you prefer and what teams you want to build and then try lukestoystore and ebay. if you’re like me (and a few others) you will probably have to skip the first appearance x-men since angel in that costume is super rare. i was able to get the 90’s x-men when they came out but it looks like those go for a few extra bucks if that’s what you’re into. the more popular characters have a lot of options to choose from so i would look around the minimate database for the ones you think look best.

good luck, have fun!

Hm, if I were just starting out fresh, I'd look for big lots of loose MiniMates on sites like eBay and Mercari. Luke's Toy Store is also great for new releases (boxed), and loose singles.

Otherwise, just follow your interests! Judging by your username, you may want to start with this one:

a90824bd-63c5-4da8-84db-24653441c78d_1.e

I went all in and collected EVERYTHING Marvel for a while.
I would decide on what you want to collect (MCU, Classic 616, 90's, etc...) and then check out the Flea Market section of the forums here. It's not as active as it once was, but if you post what you're looking for, people will no doubt help you out. 
Minimates aren't so easy to come by here in Australia, so I owe a large portion of my collection to the friends I've made on here. 

8 hours ago, elhonez said:

Hm, if I were just starting out fresh, I'd look for big lots of loose MiniMates on sites like eBay and Mercari. Luke's Toy Store is also great for new releases (boxed), and loose singles.

I'd totally agree with that.

Being totally ruthless ( & you need to be ) I would ignore almost everything made before late 2008 & then concentrate on the TRU waves which IMHO are generally head & shoulders above their contemporary LCS waves. I am not saying that, prior to late 2008, there was nothing worth collecting but nigh on everything has been revisited since.

There are no more than a dozen or so pre-2009 Marvel minimates that still hold up alongside late Marvel mates. Harsh ? Maybe but I'll stick to my guns.

There was a sea change for all minimates when the new Marvel TRU waves arrived .

I'd say get ready to start spending money these days. 

There's definitely recent waves you can get stuff cheap but most cool or classic characters might set you back a bit (but the good thing is "set you back" doesn't mean what it means with marvel legends) 

I'd definitely say check out Lukestoystore.com , he does sales pretty frequently that has loose minimates and accessories. Plus he makes custom items. 

Lastly, if you're on Instagram, I'd say get into the community. If you are, I'll give you suggestions of pages to follow. 

Find your niche and fill it out first. 
If you’re a big X-Men fan and you’re itching to get that big X-Men display up, hunt them. If you come across some good stuff outside that then that’s great, but target the things you most want to see in your collection. 
And use the HELL out of Minimatedatabase.com

Spend a while browsing your favorite characters. Ivan’s photos are so good you’ll be able to find your favorite versions of your favorite characters and then you can just look for those. 

And for God’s sake if something comes around that’s new and you like it, buy it! I paid dearly for my Mephisto and Thanos because I didn’t take proper advantage of getting those sets at the time and I’m still hunting Kang and the goddamn Juggernaut. Don’t let yourself regret. Put in that preorder even if you don’t like every character in the set. The rest make for great spare parts. 

• 9 months later...