UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Desert Island DST


Recommended Posts

Some of you are perhaps inferring from the title that this thread will be a blatant rip-off of BBC Radio's Desert Island Discs program, and you'd be absolutely correct.

For those not familiar, folks appearing on the program are interviewed about which eight records, book and 'luxury' item they'd most like to be stranded with were they stranded/marooned on a comfortable desert island catering to their survival needs. Obviously my pinching the format is a massive endorsement and if that sounds cool to you then do go search up some of your favourite Brits with the programs name and should they have appeared it's always a light and enlightening listen and many spin-offs of the exquisite format exist. 

All that transparency begets the question my thread poses proper, which eight minimates would you most like to have with you were you to be spending a while in some of safe yet secluded isolation, be it stranded on cosy islands or in perhaps more modern spin, in hotel quarantine or some sort of spacehopping situation. Feel free to chime also with books, luxury items or indeed records also. It's poor form not to post my own list but rest assured one I'll be posting one here once I whittle my list down.

 

So the question is, which eight minimates would you like to have with you were you stranded and stuck with your own company in a safe and comfortable setting?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh this one is easy for me

1. TRU Spider Sense Peter Parker

2. TRU Chameleon

3. Green Goblin from the Unmasked Spidey set

4. Venom (the purple one with a symbiotic spidey under him)

5. Kingpin (TRU)

6. Frontal Assault Punisher

7. Lizard (Luke’s Toy Store Exclusive)

8. Kraven (the recent one)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite thing about Minimates is all the different licensed properties. I'd want to take this as an opportunity to select eight characters from their respective universes and gather them on the island.

Alien - Isolation Xenomorph

Battlestar Galactica - Lt. Boomer

Buck Rogers - Wilma Deering

DC - Green Arrow

Lost in Space - Robot B-9

Marvel - Daredevil

Star Trek - Captain Sisko

Tomb Raider - Battle-damaged Lara Croft

I think that would be a fun story.

(If DST ever offers classic Planet of the Apes Minimates, someone's getting bumped for Zira!)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Legacy Picard (From the two pack with Hugh the Borg)

Superman (the one in the two pack with Battle Armor Luthor)

Snake Eyes

Optimus Prime

Uhura (from the Mirror Mirror box set)

Dana Barrett (from the Ghostbusters Series 1 box set)

Falcon (from the Falcon and Winter Soldier series two pack with Baron Zemo)

Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet.

I think these would be my eight picks for the ones I would want on a Desert Isle.

Edited by Captain Paco
to add my eight choice...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1) Snake Eyes

2) "Kaine Parker" Scarlet Spider (box & show may call him Ben Reilly but none of us are fooled)

3) Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider

4) Nightwing

5) Captain America (Age of Ultron- best MCU Cap to me since I like the white on his biceps compared to his other suits)

6) Lobo

7) Nightstorm Predator

8 ) my kitbash Dan Ketch Ghost Rider

Edited by HellfireSamurai
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I limited myself to just Marvel. And I really tried to keep it to eight. BUT I FAILED. 

1. Doctor Doom (Best of)

2. Juggernaut (Excalibur)

3. Warlock (New Mutants)

4. Spiral

5. Apocalypse (Axis)

6. Doctor Octopus (Deadly Foes)

7. Beta Ray Bill (W42)

8. Surtur

Plus Five: Hobgoblin (Heroic), Jack o' Lantern, Stilt-Man, Dreadnought, Blade (First Appearance)

Edited by elhonez
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2021 at 2:17 PM, MisterPL said:

🤓 👍  You like the flat colors, too?

Shiny happy people  minimates are rarely my favourites .

 

There are very few moulded ,unpainted plastic Minimates that I can stomach ....worst of all are the 'marriages' .....'mates that are part -painted  & part- moulded -unpainted .....that would be personified by FF Thing .  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Done exactly as you describe......... that would be a beautiful 'mate  .

 I was going to qualify my remark about my 'dislike' of 'mouldy' Minimates but I'm pretty sure that most of us (?) appreciate the evolution of the Minimate away from the early coloured unpainted plastic figures to the what we generally get these days .  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Wow, so many lovely responses! my apologies on leaving the thread hanging, I'll share some thoughts soon but first kudos must be paid to @buttheadsmate practical kindling thinking, especially with Zik's abundance of constituent parts :P with good rationing he could light up many a night... speaking of

 

1) Dr Manhattan - Perhaps somewhat in the spirit of BHM's answer, I'll go with a somewhat utilitarian choice of my own. I absolutely adore GitD minimates, especially in the dark, and with an absence of modern luxuries I imagine something with a little glow for those lonely nights would be glorious. I wouldn't be surprised to end up with other glowy guys in my Desert Island Mates, but I chose Doctor Manhattan, as what with his self imposed exile/martain wellness retreat  I can think of no one better to spend a lengthy, solitarily, contemplative time :) 

 

2) "Valley of Darkness" Cylon - I absolutely adore Modern Cylon Centurion minimates. I find the deployment of specialised parts to be one of the earliest, and best, examples of imaginative engineering creating a truly ambitious block figure without compromising the iconic base body. I chose the Valley of Darkness Cylon because of his bloody paint applications in a suitable echo of Tom Hanks' volleyball when he was cast away himself. I wonder how long before I dub him Winston? 😛 

 

3) Classic Cylon Centurion - one from the box set, so he has memories of the glory days of the Cylon Empire to share with his more contemporary chum. Honestly, the idea of having a Cylon of either era would be great for scenarios and whatnot, it's similarly iconic and well executed as above (especially with the the man-in-suit Centurion style lending itself to dressing up the minimate body; I'd argue this is as an excellent example of the elegant possibility in simplicity of the minimate base body, while the above Centurion is quite the ambitious subversion) and perhaps this candidate could even channel @cylonchaneyonce the madness of isolation begins to set in. Perhaps I should add a Vulture mini(heads)mate to go with, or even abuse the parameters of this hypothetical to get my hands on the @DSTZach custom mate to chat about my island sideburns with 😛 also, classic BSG adventure 'The Return of Starbuck' features a Cylon and Starbuck crash landing onto a deserted, desert plant perhaps similar to this very hypothetical. 

 

4) Marv - I almost mentioned the Geppimate in my above riff on mates on real world figures, and arched an eyebrow in consideration of his accessories...which led me to think of Marv. Ostensibly, all the accessories in The Hard Goodbye boxset with the exception of Kevin's alternate head and perhaps one of the handguns, are most appropriate to and intended for use by, Marv. I forgot to mention above that the classic Centurion's gun and sword, and the possibility of mounting them on him, also seemed like a nice detail for play and scenarios. We can't get by on just accessories though, and thus I'm also quite interested in Marv's 'looks', between plain and band-aid faces, and coats and singlets, that's quite a few looks to chop and change up, and who knows, perhaps an original character custom should I manage to pry Kevin's disembodied head from grippable hair piece, or a nice coat for Dr Manhattan to wear 😛

 

There's four, and soon enough I'll provide four more. Perhaps Marv will be revised out in the edit, or perhaps this will be the first of a few 'load-outs' of 8 minimates that go great together and I'll finish this out with four who go great with these four (in which case, prepare for some monochrome love). Thanks of course to everyone who's come along with some Desert Island Picks of their own! I imagine I'll do a post of quotes with my thoughts on all the lovely lists; this one's awfully lengthy as is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2021 at 8:25 PM, Trekker 42 said:

Oh this one is easy for me

1. TRU Spider Sense Peter Parker

2. TRU Chameleon

3. Green Goblin from the Unmasked Spidey set

4. Venom (the purple one with a symbiotic spidey under him)

5. Kingpin (TRU)

6. Frontal Assault Punisher

7. Lizard (Luke’s Toy Store Exclusive)

8. Kraven (the recent one)

Great list, all Marvel! A good mix of plausibly interacting characters, and I can see much fun with swapping parts with Lizard, the TRU two pack and Venom to name a few.

 

On 11/13/2021 at 3:59 AM, MisterPL said:

My favorite thing about Minimates is all the different licensed properties. I'd want to take this as an opportunity to select eight characters from their respective universes and gather them on the island.

Alien - Isolation Xenomorph

Battlestar Galactica - Lt. Boomer

Buck Rogers - Wilma Deering

DC - Green Arrow

Lost in Space - Robot B-9

Marvel - Daredevil

Star Trek - Captain Sisko

Tomb Raider - Battle-damaged Lara Croft

I think that would be a fun story.

(If DST ever offers classic Planet of the Apes Minimates, someone's getting bumped for Zira!)

 

Another great list, I do like the variety and the perspective of all these characters gathering. I love the B-9 Robot, and I can assure y'all there will be a xenomorph represented by the time I finish my eight. I am curious though an what makes the Isolation alien your pick of the xenomate bunch? If there were a 'best two-packs of all time' thread I'd definitely it put it forward with Amanda Ripley. Boomer and Lara Croft are very suited to being stranded on the island, what with their own experience of being castaways and the Alien would be just as menacing a foe is in game!

 

On 11/13/2021 at 4:09 AM, Captain Paco said:

Legacy Picard (From the two pack with Hugh the Borg)

Superman (the one in the two pack with Battle Armor Luthor)

Snake Eyes

Optimus Prime

Uhura (from the Mirror Mirror box set)

Dana Barrett (from the Ghostbusters Series 1 box set)

Falcon (from the Falcon and Winter Soldier series two pack with Baron Zemo)

I think these would be my seven picks for the ones I would want on a Desert Isle.

 

On 11/13/2021 at 10:07 AM, HellfireSamurai said:

1) Snake Eyes

2) "Kaine Parker" Scarlet Spider (box & show may call him Ben Reilly but none of us are fooled)

3) Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider

4) Nightwing

5) Captain America (Age of Ultron- best MCU Cap to me since I like the white on his biceps compared to his other suits)

6) Lobo

7) Nightstorm Predator

8 ) my kitbash Dan Ketch Ghost Rider

 

So much love for Snake Eyes! Y'all are really helping me convince myself that I should get myself one of him. Also, Optimus Prime; great to see some recent 'mates on the list, DST's still got it it seems ;) 

 

On 11/18/2021 at 9:41 AM, elhonez said:

I limited myself to just Marvel. And I really tried to keep it to eight. BUT I FAILED. 

1. Doctor Doom (Best of)

2. Juggernaut (Excalibur)

3. Warlock (New Mutants)

4. Spiral

5. Apocalypse (Axis)

6. Doctor Octopus (Deadly Foes)

7. Beta Ray Bill (W42)

8. Surtur

Plus Five: Hobgoblin (Heroic), Jack o' Lantern, Stilt-Man, Dreadnought, Blade (First Appearance)

 I'm loving these lists with some sort of implicit theme, be it all Marvel, or all differing properties, and I will concur with you all that this particular Doom and his aforementioned colours are an absolutely brilliant instance of the character and execution of the comic book look. I'm sure I'm not alone in adoring how much the Marvel Minimates can have vibrant colour and near 2D looks, as though they've just walked off the page and onto the minimate base body.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1st. Black Spider-Man ..simply special.

Wonder Woman ...gorgeous , almost not a minimate more like a tiny real Wonder Woman. Help needed!

1st. Hulkbuster..perhaps the best minimate ever made but amongst the least articulate .

Dead Six ...the personification (?) of my collecting OCD ,I have no real reason to own so many of this odd Minimate but if I see one I buy it. More help needed.

Dracula ....he has belatedly become a favourite .

Spidey Max statue ..my ego gets the better of me with this one , almost unique & its in my collection . It should've been in everybody's. 

Original Deadpool release.. I'll confess that I'd hardly heard of DP when this arrived , what a Minimate,never bettered.

Invaders Namor . It's him but little !!

Gauntlet Stark / Stealth iron Man .....the moment in (Minimate) time when everything changed . I'll class this as one Minimate if I may?

Super-Adaptoid ..........one day.

 

I would guess that over the years I would have had a different list ....that's todays.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

1. DC - Superman
The archetypical hero and such a simple, effective minimate. 

2. DC - Mary Marvel
Just as well done as Superman, but also an impressive enough deep cut into the DC pantheon and a profession of my love for Golden Age Marvel Family comics.

3. Marvel - Black Costume Spider-Man
BHM is right. This one's the best of the best. 

4. Marvel - Vision
Probably my favorite Marvel character, and the minimate is full of such charm. Looks exactly as he needs to, phasing arms and all. 

5. Godzilla - Mechagodzilla
As iconic as the main man himself, and a testament to the talent of the minimates sculptors. 

6. Alien - 1979 Alien
Just like Mechagodzilla, an impressive feat of sculpting showcasing the transformative quality of minimates while also the most definitive version of the character, IMHO.

7. Universal Monsters - Bride of Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein is one of my most favorite movies and the impressionist quality of this minimate overjoys me. 

8. Westerns - Showdown Blondie
You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2022 at 8:30 PM, buttheadsmate said:

1st. Black Spider-Man ..simply special.

Wonder Woman ...gorgeous , almost not a minimate more like a tiny real Wonder Woman. Help needed!

1st. Hulkbuster..perhaps the best minimate ever made but amongst the least articulate .

Dead Six ...the personification (?) of my collecting OCD ,I have no real reason to own so many of this odd Minimate but if I see one I buy it. More help needed.

Dracula ....he has belatedly become a favourite .

Spidey Max statue ..my ego gets the better of me with this one , almost unique & its in my collection . It should've been in everybody's. 

Original Deadpool release.. I'll confess that I'd hardly heard of DP when this arrived , what a Minimate,never bettered.

Invaders Namor . It's him but little !!

Gauntlet Stark / Stealth iron Man .....the moment in (Minimate) time when everything changed . I'll class this as one Minimate if I may?

Super-Adaptoid ..........one day.

 

I would guess that over the years I would have had a different list ....that's todays.

 

now this is a list we've been waiting for, from someone quite familiar with the format...can y'all imagine being interviewed about your minimate choices live on the radio?

my gosh what a world that would be. It's absolutely delightful logging back in after a while and seeing so more responses, hats off to yis :) 

So much to agree with BHM about here though, from the joy wonder and glory that is that first black spidey to that testament to the scope of the BSG line that is Dead Six (I figure I'd never had much time for until I came to the forums, my eyes are now open...) I also particularly enjoy Stealth Iron Man's presence and the sort of watershed moment he's representing

Rude of me to assume BHM but I take it you're referring to the colour version of Dracula (in line with your other choices) or are you a monochrome man also (B&Wheadsmate? :P ) my top 8 also changes like the weather, fingers crossed we might all get to share & pontificate on some more lists in times to come

 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:31 AM, NerdyTrev said:

1. DC - Superman
The archetypical hero and such a simple, effective minimate. 

2. DC - Mary Marvel
Just as well done as Superman, but also an impressive enough deep cut into the DC pantheon and a profession of my love for Golden Age Marvel Family comics.

3. Marvel - Black Costume Spider-Man
BHM is right. This one's the best of the best. 

4. Marvel - Vision
Probably my favorite Marvel character, and the minimate is full of such charm. Looks exactly as he needs to, phasing arms and all. 

5. Godzilla - Mechagodzilla
As iconic as the main man himself, and a testament to the talent of the minimates sculptors. 

6. Alien - 1979 Alien
Just like Mechagodzilla, an impressive feat of sculpting showcasing the transformative quality of minimates while also the most definitive version of the character, IMHO.

7. Universal Monsters - Bride of Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein is one of my most favorite movies and the impressionist quality of this minimate overjoys me. 

8. Westerns - Showdown Blondie
You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

 

The thing about these lists, as elhonez noted, is they can really showcase the sheer diversity of minimates; it's one of my favourite things how once a licence becomes minimated it's now styled and in scale with an absolute GLUT of pop culture properties. Lovely to see some more black spidey love and also Superman, I feel like those two are real 'frontmen' minimates (indeed, I found an issue of Toyfare with Cap and Supes mates gorgeously gracing the cover...)

Also grand to see so many monsters mashing in these lists! Just trying to decide which AliBen$ Xenomorph to take along to this desert island and I'll return with my final four 😛 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...