UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What do you consider to be the best Iron Man Minimate?

TheMinimateKing30

Following the reception to the "What do you consider to be the best Thor Minimate", I've decided to follow it up with this. What are your guys' thoughts on the definitive version of ol' Shellhead?

For me, it's a tie between Holographic Iron Man (as the best Classic Iron Man) and Wave 32 Extremis Iron Man (as the best Modern Iron Man).

Lemme know your thoughts below.

With 80 different (or mostly different) Iron Man Minimates from which to choose, this is a tough one.

For comics, I have to go with Classic Iron Man from Series 25. I like the old-school lines, the metallic paint, and unlike the Heroic Age version you can see Tony's eyes.

From the MCU, I may have to go with the Mark III Iron Man from Series 21. With the sculpted legs, the alternate look, and that tiny removable faceplate, it's just a fun toy.

Honorable mention goes to Walgreens Iron Man from Wave 2.5 for fitting in so well with the Best of/Greatest Hits assortments and including an alternate noggin with a HUD!

I usually use NeoClassic with my Avengers displays, but I want to get my hands on hologram Iron Man. I think the suit looks particularly good. 

But favorite is a weird one. I looooove Ultimate Iron Man. Love that design in general and it looks great in Minimate form. 

4 minutes ago, Trekker 42 said:

I usually use NeoClassic with my Avengers displays, but I want to get my hands on hologram Iron Man. I think the suit looks particularly good. 

But favorite is a weird one. I looooove Ultimate Iron Man. Love that design in general and it looks great in Minimate form. 

I agree. I don't have Holo Iron Man yet, but judging from the pictures, as well as Smash's review on YouTube, it looks fantastic.

Ultimate Iron Man's a pretty hot take, NGL. IMO, it's not hard to see why the design itself is hated by so many, but the Minimate looks good. Definitely fits well in a display of the bulkier, tank-like suits (Any of the Buster armors or War Machines).

I actually really like the Gamerverse Iron Man. It's a great combo of sculpted pieces and paint applications. 

Movie Stealth Iron Man (TRU exclusive) and the one from the Modern Heroic Age box set are also high on the list.

Edited by Onyx_6

I've got to go with the original Hulkbuster but that very first TRU Stealth/Gauntlet pack heralded in an entirely new era of minimates.....perhaps my favourite Marvel 2-pack of all,they are sensational.

It is incredible that that set was released 13 years ...almost to the day .....I wobbled in my Minimate collecting at that time, how was I going to get access to ToysRUs Minimates ???   I thank my lucky stars for all the help I have been given,then & now.

I'm not really well-versed in Iron Man's looks or his minimates, but I'd like to give an honourable mention to Wave 21 Mk 1 Iron Man armour that you can strip down entirely to a filthy, singleted Tony in captivity outfit.

I just love the playability of it, how as with many a mate you can play dress-up, but then in this case it's also a little bit of a one minimate playset as you can have him tinker on the armour in the appropriate outfit, maintain the arc reactor or even set up little R&D scenarios wearing individual armour parts or imprison him in your bits box and have him don his landmark armour in a cave that is your OWN box of scraps!

On 11/12/2021 at 12:24 PM, DSTZach said:

I like Iron Man MK 42, for some reason. I know some don;t like those shoulders, but it's shiny. 

Diamond-Select-Toys-Iron-Man-Minimates-2

For action poses, they limit what you can do with him. That's why reason for not liking those arms. Looks great in default poses though, great sculpting 

• 4 weeks later...

after getting mark 47 from homecoming, i think that might just be the coolest looking iron man minimate. which is crazy because it reminds me of the ultimates and i was never a fan of that look in the comics. the chest piece and sculpted upper arms look great together, would like to see that more. 

C9108FF8-8F04-4D9E-8ADB-470FDDDE97B4.jpeg

Edited by minifigvig

Despite the helmet not being quite long enough, I still adore the Silver Centurian from the exclusive 2-pack
That silver made the red stand out in a different way... it was cooler - almost a cherry red compared to the gold Iron Men. 

image.png.9ae58e05b9a406cfd71a56b1bc41443c.png
Hail Ivan! 

Despite the figure being a bit bulky, I also had a strange amount of love for the "movie" stealth suit (Spoiler: doesn't actually appear in movie).
Something about the colours again - the deep metallic not-primary-blue with the red eyes just also looked great.

Honorable mention to the comic Hulkbuster.  

• 8 months later...

Having given it some thought, I think I'd have to say my favorite MCU Iron Man Minimate has to be either the Mark VII from Wave 45 (the Avengers movie wave) or the Mark LXXXV from the Endgame line.

I've grown to deeply love the Mark VII over the years, to the point where I can consider it my favorite of the original 7 armors from Phase 1.

The Mark LXXXV I love because it's literally classic Iron Man, but with an MCU aesthetic. Favorite armor in the MCU bar none.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, buttheadsmate said:

I've got to go with the original Hulkbuster...

That is just an epic Minimate. It's definitely Top 5 on the all-time list for me.

My favorite Classic Iron Man is a mix. I'm also someone who doesn't think he looks quite right in true gold, so I like the more comic-y yellows. But I also like really detailed tampos. So:

Best of / Greatest Hits: I took everything but the arms & legs, since they look a little plain without detail.

Ultimate Avengers 2 Pack-In: I took the arms & legs here, because the tampos are nuts -- unlike the very first Iron Man, both the wrists and the ankles have the concentric bands, and the yellow arms & legs have a lot of muscular detail.