UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What do you consider to be the best Thor Minimate?

TheMinimateKing30

Hey, guys. I'm relatively new here and I just wanted to ask what your personal thoughts were on what the best Thor Minimate ever is. I'm having trouble deciding on whether to get the Thor from the Classic Heroic Age box set or Thor Reborn, which I've heard contesting arguments before on being the best Thor Minimate(s) ever produced.

IDK. I'd just like to hear thoughts of other collectors directly.

@TheMinimateKing30, welcome to the boards! 

In my own opinion, the Thor Reborn and Modern Heroic Age minimates are wonderful. However, the bulky chest pieces look odd to me for some reason. 

there is a Modern Thor from the MvC wave 3 that is my personal favorite modern Thor. He doesn’t have a chest piece and he had a new (at the time) cape that looks awesome.

Depending on what you want out of your Thor, I have two main suggestions. 
Keep in mind I have no tolerance for bulk chests on Thor. He’s big but he ain’t Hulk. 

1. Greatest Hits Thor. I LOVE this Minimate. He’s my Go-To for Thor at any time. Perfect representation of the classic look. Plus if you grab him in a two pack instead of loose you get either one of the best Cap minimates or the best Comic Loki Minimate. 

2. Marvel Now Thor BUT you replace his ugly ass helmet with any other Thor’s helmet. I think the armor on this guy is solid for a modern day Thor. I just hate his helmet. So grab him and any other helmet and you’re golden. 

I also really like the FA Thor and his neat long handle Mjolnir. Nobody else has that. 

And if you’re looking for a movie Thor, I am a big fan of Roadworn Hero Thor. Or taking the original movie’s Thor and replacing the head with Avengers 1 or Dark World 

I like this topic. It feels like a topic MMMV should do more often. 

I consider that a definitive Thor has never been made ....for 3 or 4 reasons ......helmet, arms & perhaps cape.

Thor is big but he ain't no Hulk but I (in my mind) always associate (comic) Thor with massively strong arms encompassed by a suitably massive cape . We have the cape on a few Thors but we have yet to get the arms .

Minimates 'suffer' helmets & hats .....period.   Why on earth DST can't just mold a head & helmet as one has always been beyond me...they do it when it suits them not when the character would benefit.  This applies to many Minimates, none more so than Thing but don't start me on that one!

All Thors would benefit from an 'arm-change' & IMHO all existing Thors benefit from the immediate removal of their helmets:pinch:

FA Thor perhaps gets my vote .

Greatest hits/Best of Thor and FA (TRU Wave 12) Thor are my two favorite basic Thor figures.  Wave 64 lady Thor isn't Thor Thor, but it is a damn fine minimate.  I'm also a fan of unworthy Thor.  He's not a standard Thor, but he has a cool, unique look.  

I think I combine pieces to make a perfect classic Thor. I'm forgetting which at the moment. I'll take a stab with my failing memory:

Favorite portraits: Best Of, Ages of Thunder

Favorite standard helmet & cape: Stormbreaker Box

Favorite hair-front helmet & raised-shoulder cape: Heroes Return

Best base body: Stormbreaker

(Only) legs with 5th & 6th "armor circles": First Appearance

Best boots: Best Of

Favorite accessory: Spinning Hammer

On 10/23/2021 at 10:26 AM, buttheadsmate said:

Why on earth DST can't just mold a head & helmet as one has always been beyond me...

It occurred to me that I failed to mention what I had been thinking .....the Beta Ray Bill 'mates have the head molded with the helmet . 

It would seem that a Norse hero's head doesn't warrant a one piece helmeted head although an 'orse hero gets one :no:

It should also borne in mind that the early Thor minimates were sans hair piece so we had a choice of 'big thick helmeted' Thor or bald Thor .......not to be confused with Balder Thor.  The helmet over hair effectively works (to a degree) but I believe it makes the figure top-heavy .

Not posted on here for a while but couldn't ignore this topic since thor is my favourite character.  For me it's got to be classic all the way and I would echo what some others have said that despite him being released lots of times he's never been done "right".  The FA version is the best but he is simply too slim.  While I agree that he's not the hulk, he is closer to that than spiderman.  Also most classic thors only have 4 circles rather than 6, and the hair needs to hang quite long down the front, which some don't.  Thus I agree that the only way to get a perfect thor is customising or amalgamating several versions.  Maybe one day DST will do him the way i would like but I kind of doubt it these days...

Having said that I think the female version is superb some of the modern ones are pretty good.

On 10/28/2021 at 4:35 PM, MisterPL said:

I'm with elhonez. I'm not sure I have a single Minimate that I'd consider to depict a definitive God of Thunder but I'd definitely be tempted to put together a Franken-Thor.

As far as off-the-shelf 'mates, I'm leaning toward Best of with Classic Heroic Age as a close second. (Hail Ivan!)

+1 on "Best of" being the best off-the-shelf version for classic Thor.

At some point I'll stop being lazy and share a pic of one of my Franken-Thors.

This topic sent me down another MMDB rabbit hole and reminded me that we still haven’t gotten a comic version of the Destroyer. 

I’m salty about this. 

Pack him in with a Hela or something and release him. 

On 11/4/2021 at 7:12 PM, Trekker 42 said:

This topic sent me down another MMDB rabbit hole and reminded me that we still haven’t gotten a comic version of the Destroyer. 

I’m salty about this. 

Shameless self promotion ? (also my kid Loki custom) 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRUO9y6Mqo4/

• 9 months later...
On 11/4/2021 at 8:12 PM, Trekker 42 said:

I’m salty about this. 

Diamond's still hoping people forget about the Destroyer so they don't have to make him again. Callin' it. XD