UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Upgrade & Its Moderation Week!

So in retrospect, I'll try to be nicer. But for the record, the guys at DST are big boys. I think they can handle it. Especially with all the praise they got. <_<

Again, I realize they are big boys. The point is that they are answering questions as a favor. Joke with them if you must. Be honest about issues you are seeing in product. Praise them for the good stuff. But be nice, be cool and ask a serious question. No rants, no attacks, no IMO posts.

I think they CAN handle it, too. The point is, they don't have to handle it from us (as a forum), but are willing to FOR FUN. Don't spoil it.

If you want to be a jack-ass, email them independant of this forum.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regard to the upgrade. A thicko asks.... 'Where's the reply button on PM's?" I just ain't seeing one. All I can do is quote and reply that way. Please help a thicko out.

Quote is the only way I've found... seems odd...... will look somemore... womdering if I deleted a line of code womewhere...

With regard to the upgrade. A thicko asks.... 'Where's the reply button on PM's?" I just ain't seeing one. All I can do is quote and reply that way. Please help a thicko out.

:lol: i remember myself saying the same thing earlyer in the tread :lol:

If we add a Trek forum, brace yourself for an influx of jackasses.

Can we just say for the record right now that we'll ban people who start threads like "Who's the best Star Trek Captain?" ;)

This place was so nice without the Trek element - oh well, I'm sure they felt the same about us back at the AA forums.

^^ *Cough* Seconded *Cough*

All though nice work on the upgrade and I have to totalus agree with everything said above there have been times when I have been frustrated by the idioms and the short replies as some of them arent funny or continuing a thread in anyway. A bit more heavy hand on the moderation is needed... maybe employing the trusted few to help the staff mod the boards? You guys do so much work so you guys should be allowed the time to unwind and concentrate on doing other things to aid the board... brining on board a few hand selected moderators those you know are gonna do a decent job involved to lend a hand so you guys are not pressured so much anymore. If they're hand selected that way you know who is not going to jerk about, delete topics or start being too domineering and heading the way another forum went. Just some idea's to help you out. :)

Kudos to the Staff of MMV.

cheers,

Tk

hey TK,

I dont think more mods are needed, One of the things that 'the other place' suffered from at the end was overmoderation (I just madeup a selfcontradictory word :D ) too many cooks and all that. 2-3 active mods is plenty, Ady works like crazy for this place but he'd still do that if we made everyone Mods because he loves the place so more wouldn't really help.

I think that these threads have done their job in pointing out that things were starting to slide, making people stop to think WHAT & WHY they are posting and we'd prefer not to end up like any of a million other forums where it's like lord of the flies. ( yes it's an exageration but not by much :P )

T.

Point taken TBT oh person of wise and wisdom, hmmm thats two words I thought I would ever associate with TBT :P Anyway I was thinking along the lines of an additional two not like a full mass of them as that would be silly. They would be selected by the current staff and of course be people they know ;) I of course hede your advice and stop there as the point was made above no need to carry it on.

cheers,

Tk

All I know, I modded sites for 7 years, I have no envy for you guys. Yall are doing a much better job right now then I ever did.

Shane, you must really not be reading the same thread I was. My jack-ass meter didn't go off once. Unless you're referring to me. I'm immune to my own meter. :P

If we add a Trek forum, brace yourself for an influx of jackasses.

Can we just say for the record right now that we'll ban people who start threads like "Who's the best Star Trek Captain?" ;)

This place was so nice without the Trek element - oh well, I'm sure they felt the same about us back at the AA forums.

To be fair to the Trekkers though, "Trek Talk" was by far and away the busiest section on the AA forums ~ as it is now. AA were largely at fault themselves for inviting Trekkers to post their opinions about the shows and the films ~ not just the toys and divisions between the two got muddied. This plainly is a forum to discuss toys and collecting. FHC site remains on track because Trekkers go there to discuss toys and collecting ~ opinions go over to TU where you will see some familiar names still slugging it out! :lol:

Its only still the busiest because we're not there... this place has a heck of a lot more psots than the entire AA board.

Their total is around 7k, ours is over 20k.

Be interesting to see what happens in regards to the Trek section here, although it'll probably be a while off, my unwritten rule for forum sections is that a line only gets them when solicited.

^^^Well, that's because your members are well and truly settled here and the new AA board sucks behind. I have put my AA account up for deletion because of a certain idiot that can't resist making trouble.

Just make sure that you make it clear that your "Trek Talk" section is only for talking about the minimates, and that should keep things civil! :)

Just make sure that you make it clear that your "Trek Talk" section is only for talking about the minimates, and that should keep things civil! :)

I honestly don't know how you'd be able to get away with that. One inherent aspect of every toy board I've been to is The Wish List, and such lists don't just pop up out of thin air, they're based on favorite characters or stories. A forum that only allows discussion of existing product but not the property would be pretty damned dull.

What makes a forum civil is the membership. Stereotypical Trekkies are pretty opinionated, which is fine. What isn't fine is the intolerance I've found on many a Trek board, which is tragically ironic considering Trek's Vulcan philosophy of infinite diversity. I guess Spock never preached tolerance.

That said, I think we've got a pretty good-natured cast of characters here. It was pretty rare that we had ANY problems with those Minimate collectors back on the AA board, certainly not as often as we did with the self-professed Trekkies. But with a Trek forum comes more traffic, and it's bound to attract at least one obnoxious zealot.

But that's why we have moderators. :PIMP:

To be honest I've always joked about how bad the Trekkies are and yes hey do get caught up in their own world.

But this thread is starting to make me smile, you're making them out to be like Genghis Kahn's hordes... not geeky people who care too much about a fictional universe.

My guess is a new trek section will only attract those who like Trek & Minimates, which if memory of the members from the old AA site isnt' that many.

Several times I tried to broach the subject of minimates with 'the Hoards of Trek' and they all said they are too childish (In reply I always pointed out that they frooth at the mouth over details of a toy spaceship.), of course a lot of that was purely bitterness that AA Trek products had gone quiet and minimates ruled the roost ( No matter what Jules says, trek was very much on the decline from the days when they had the place to themselves and resented that.).

I say we wait and see before building the baracades... I cant see a sudden noticable influx and I dont think it's going to make a huge difference to us.

T.

^^^True, Trek was well into decline (and with JJ Abrams now at the helm you truly can belive in a fate worse than death! :biggrin: ), but the 7" collectors at least never went short of product, it was a pretty consistant if slow trickle, and now we can hardly keep up AA are pushing out product so fast!

I too used to hate the esoteric 'wish lists', but then if I saw an obvious wishlist thread, then I stayed out of it. The same with the Ent E debacle and other ships threads. I didn't used to go and wag my finger at them. Talking about Trek itself is different, of course!

Trek is a very different animal than other franchises that breed toys. It's as simple as that. It's down to the moderation here to make it plain that toys is the reason why thet should be posting here, and maybe keep the tedious wishlists tidied into one thread! TBH, you're not going to get some of the most rampant Trek Talk posters here (OK, you got one! :biggrin: ) because I don't think they'll buy minimates. They tend to be into 7" action figures, Playmates, Mego, props and ~ of course ~ships! ;)

For instance, you're not going to get a certain Belgian dropping buy because he only likes figures in clothes!

I also have a problem I thought I'd point out. I can't stay logged in, even when I click the "remember me" box.

Clear your cookies, if that still doesnt work let me know, I can force a new cookie key.

Okay, I don't know if I did something out you did, but I can stay logged in now. :)