UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

LOTR Wave 3

Awww... That means we have to go back there... :(

Well I cant see me making the big leap back to AA forums and posting regularly, I dont have time to be in two places and post... Sure I cruise by once every few days to see if there is anything of interest or news we dont have here and it actually seems we have a better 'network' for finding out info here than there.

Ady built this place after the old board "collapsed" out of a passion for minimates and to give us all somewhere to hangout, it just feels a lot more solid and 'real' here right now, to be honest I would feel uncomfortable jumping back to AA just on the promise of a 'few prizes for regular posters'.

It's obvious that most of the minimate fanbase is happy here but for whatever reason it appears AA want everyone to move back there and are offering 'regular updates and prizes' as incentives, things they've promised before with every itteration of their board, but they never quite seem to appear. Oddly the biggest 'fan thing' that they did was in unison with a member who pretty much drove the whole project.

Like all of you I love minimates and will continue to buy and customise them, however it does feel like instead of working with us as discussed with both AA&DST at SDCC they are becoming self absorbed over the new forum.

It does make me wonder where the priorities are if fans that have been keeping the flame alive whilst we've had a very cold year without minimates are being left on the outside for the sake of the new shiny board.

T.

• 2 weeks later...
Some of you might have seen this over on the AA forums:

Morpheus: "LOTR is over. License has expired so you won't see them. We have samples, but that was it..."

Me: Any chance of the samples being for sale or used as prizes in a draw?

Morpheus: You Betcha Fujis - we are working on getting alot of different prizes for board members that post and contribute to the AA community so watch out for postings from Neo.

It'll be interesting to see what happens...if anything.

That'd be awesome! But I don't really like the AA forums. This place rules!

• 1 month later...

Man, I wish they could bring these out. Perhaps on Fellowship's 10th anniversary or something, AA could renew the license and cap off the LOTR 'mates. Presumably they already have the molds & design work done...

Man, I wish they could bring these out. Perhaps on Fellowship's 10th anniversary or something, AA could renew the license and cap off the LOTR 'mates. Presumably they already have the molds & design work done...

Very unlikely we'll EVER see them but yes they had all the moulds and everything ready to go.

T.

• 2 years later...

Everyone got their "dead horse" beating sticks?

I think everyone was okay with this one staying dead because it was out of scale with everything since its release, plus we had gotten many of the main characters (one could argue that all we were missing was Liv Tyler, since we had the entire fellowship and enough baddies to army build with).

Street Fighter keeps coming back because Ken, Blanka, Guile, and the character that everyone else loved to play as didn't make it out before the line was pulled. BSG will keep coming back, because we don't have all the cast and thus, not all the Cylons. Trek will keep coming back because we don't have all the aliens or all the ship crews, not to mention two shows that weren't even touched, let alone over a dozen movies. Even 24 and Rocky had favorites and key players that were not yet realized.

So, I'd gladly give up a third wave of LotR to see one of these other licenses flesh out its cast in a more complete image.

Everyone got their "dead horse" beating sticks?

I think everyone was okay with this one staying dead because it was out of scale with everything since its release, plus we had gotten many of the main characters (one could argue that all we were missing was Liv Tyler, since we had the entire fellowship and enough baddies to army build with).

Street Fighter keeps coming back because Ken, Blanka, Guile, and the character that everyone else loved to play as didn't make it out before the line was pulled. BSG will keep coming back, because we don't have all the cast and thus, not all the Cylons. Trek will keep coming back because we don't have all the aliens or all the ship crews, not to mention two shows that weren't even touched, let alone over a dozen movies. Even 24 and Rocky had favorites and key players that were not yet realized.

So, I'd gladly give up a third wave of LotR to see one of these other licenses flesh out its cast in a more complete image.

I am NOT glad that this line ended. It remains, to this day, one of my favorite Minimate lines of all time.

And those Ringwraiths looked AMAZING! I was PUMPED about the Ringwraiths. There are very few minimates series I actually preorder, but this was one. So I sincerely miss it.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, groundhog7s, but this just isn't going to happen. AA have been asked, repeatedly, about any scenario you can think of for finishing off LOTR. All this happened years ago. They don't even own the license anymore to make figures.

LOTR, like Street Fighter, is dead. Period.

I'm really not looking for it to return. I just wanted to bring up the fact that no one talks about these anymore. Like how Seinfeld is a show about nothing, most post is about how there's nothing to post about.

Now Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I know it's a matter of time til we see those again.

Now Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I know it's a matter of time til we see those again.

:wallbash: LOL.

If we ever got CTHD at the 2" scale then I'd be all over those. (JUST thinking out loud, please don't throw bricks at me) Actually my dad is a huge fan of Asian epic movies so I'd appreciate 2" Minimates of anything like them... though I'll probably be partial to mates of Jet Li (Once Upon A Time In China and Hero FTW!) and Kung Fu Hustle... though mates of any generic samurai and the classic Rashomon movie would be wicked cool too.

Back on topic: Thanks to that whole scale thing I was never really partial to the LOTR mates (bar my lone, insanely-overpriced Sauron mate). But just because they're 2" I might consider collecting the Hobbit mates (Frodo, Merry, Pippin, Gollum), if not for the fact that some of these are crazy-hard to find these days.

I think it had something to do with their license expiring, where as SFII just... quit. LOTR they couldn't do anything else. The rest of the stuff they wouldn't. I'd like to think people understand the difference. However I believe I'm giving people too much credit, and they just didn't like LotR. I'm with you, Trekker. I had that Aowen/Witch King 2 pack pre-ordered. They were my 2 favorite characters.

• 1 month later...