UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST SDCC 2021 Exclusives

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

To be fair, you said the set was a "f--- you", which is more than dislike, it's an implication that the set was designed to specifically exclude or even annoy existing fans. I think that was what I took issue with. People are obviously free to dislike it. But I apologize for targeting you.

I never said and don't think the set was designed to exclude anyone,that would be stupid for any company to do, and don't put words in my mouth, i never said or implied anything like that.  However being this is a SDCC exclusive,  at a higher price point, and sold exclusively online it is more targeted to adult collectors rather than children or casual buyers, unlike rehashes sold at walgreens at $8, and to not in some way make this appeal to them is a mistake, that's the difference, and why i still think it is a "fuck you" to long time collectors. i call 'em as i see 'em and that's the way i see it on this. As for you taking issue with it again i never said Zach fucked up or what ever, so thats on you. dont take things so personally.

its funny how people always say(and im not singling you, Zach, out on this) everyone's entitled to their opinion, yet i've received alot of crap for voicing mine.

Edited by Mattallica

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DSTZach said:

We upgraded the figures because I think Minimates have improved since then, they're always improving, because a long-time fan designs them and another one chooses the line-ups. 

Does this mean Cap will get the latest shield attachment? (Which was met with mixed reviews.)

1 hour ago, Shanester said:

Its not about voicing opinion. Its how people voice their opinion. 

Yes,

so  honest question, what was wrong with the way i voiced my opinion, was it the F word?( i've  seen the same or worse on here many times) looking at my original post i stated that I felt this was a F U to long time collectors, nothing more.

1 hour ago, Mattallica said:

Yes,

so  honest question, what was wrong with the way i voiced my opinion, was it the F word?( i've  seen the same or worse on here many times) looking at my original post i stated that I felt this was a F U to long time collectors, nothing more.

There was some perceived threat in the little tone you can glean from worded post.  I myself thought maybe you were angry about something, so I reached out.  

40 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

Different facial expressions make these a bit more desirable .

To me, different facial expressions make it an entirely different figure, even if it is of the same character, with its own need to be collected...

I'm loving them both. Sure I have collected both Marvel and NBX since the beginning and I have all of these characters but you know what has changed? I now have 3 little boys and 2 in particular absolutely LOVE Avengers and NBX. I have always been hesitant to let them play with my figures but with these newer updates I believe Im going to pass the old figures on to them to enjoy and add these upgrades to the shelf. 

I would have loved it if we got new characters or new properties but I gotta admit im just happy to see 2 minimate exclusives announced. Now who do I need to talk to about releasing a ST:TNG 6 pack for next years celebration of the 35th anniversary? Picard, Riker, Worf, Data, Geordi and Crusher would be just fine. Throw in a few extra heads and call it a day....

1 hour ago, Shanester said:

To me, different facial expressions make it an entirely different figure, even if it is of the same character, with its own need to be collected...

Oh ...that need :D   

Subtlety (that really is a shit word to spell) can mean everything to a sometimes cynical collector . I'm not a big fan of NBX 'mates but I do appreciate them , this set I understand .  

I am excited to see what the packaging will look like. I remember other SDCC threads were we were lamenting that the packaging couldn't be more "special" than a regular 4-pack. I think this is a good chance to see what DST can do. 

The NBX select package that I saw, with the Black Light feature, was awesome! If Zero is glow-in-the-Dark like he looks, I hope we have a single black light to highlight him (assuming he is included as I don't see him listed in the description).

I appreciate that these sets give folks a new chance at these old figures, while also giving long-time collectors a new packaging in which to display the set. 

And @DSTZach, we got the witches already. Don't think I remember Frankenstein's Monster, although the parts should be there already.

8 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

It'd be great if the Nightmare Before Christmas characters had a variety of expressions that intentionally lent themselves to stop-motion.

As someone who has done Minimate Stop-Motion, this would be amazing! Closest I was able to come was using a couple different Tony Stark heads and swapping them back and forth.

20 hours ago, DSTZach said:

As far as new NBX characters go, I think we are getting to the bottom of the barrel and/or the limits of Minimate engineering. On the one hand you have barely-speaking characters like the witches, Frankenstein, Gatekeeper... on the other hand you have overly-designed characters like the Creature and the Hanging Tree. 

So can we expect any further NBX Minimates?  The line has been dormant for 2 1/2 years (October 2018 was the last release), it would be nice if we could get some additional characters and accessories, like the Select line is and has been getting all this time.

Has Walgreens ever given any indication why they will carry the Select figures but not the Minimates? 

Alternatively, a seasonal specialty boxset with a couple re-do characters, a couple new characters, and some new accessories/display pieces seems like feasible option.  

Edited by youbastards

On 5/12/2021 at 4:39 PM, DSTZach said:

I'd share the packaged concept art -- which retailers like Luke are allowed to see, but no one has actually shared, and I probably shouldn't share -- but it is a very early concept.

Is this packaging being looked at as a possible replacement to the specialty 2-pack cases since is it still 6 Minimates per wave?  This would allow retailers to order full sets in numbers they need without worrying about being stuck with leftover single packs they might not be able to move.

If 2-pack cases are still going to be produced, is there any chance more of these 6-pack box sets could be produced to supplement in between wave solicitations?  I would love to see DST alternate Marvel waves with Marvel deluxe box sets, this would be a great way to get some of the teams we’ve been clamoring for over the years, Warriors Three, New Warriors, Wrecking Crew, Inhumans, etc.

2 hours ago, youbastards said:

So can we expect any further NBX Minimates?  The line has been dormant for 2 1/2 years (October 2018 was the last release), it would be nice if we could get some additional characters and accessories, like the Select line is and has been getting all this time.

I am not aware of any plans, but if these do well, maybe.

Has Walgreens ever given any indication why they will carry the Select figures but not the Minimates? 

I do not know. This may have entirely been based on timing, why it did not go to Walgreens. But Marvel is a much stronger brand than NBX, and the style needs to stretch to fit the NBX designs, so maybe they have more confidence in Marvel MM than NBX MM.

Alternatively, a seasonal specialty boxset with a couple re-do characters, a couple new characters, and some new accessories/display pieces seems like feasible option.  

If this does well, maybe we'll do more!

Is this packaging being looked at as a possible replacement to the specialty 2-pack cases since is it still 6 Minimates per wave?  This would allow retailers to order full sets in numbers they need without worrying about being stuck with leftover single packs they might not be able to move.

Not that I am aware of, but it is certainly less of an impulse item in this format. 

If 2-pack cases are still going to be produced, is there any chance more of these 6-pack box sets could be produced to supplement in between wave solicitations?  I would love to see DST alternate Marvel waves with Marvel deluxe box sets, this would be a great way to get some of the teams we’ve been clamoring for over the years, Warriors Three, New Warriors, Wrecking Crew, Inhumans, etc.

I agree!

1 hour ago, nandoninny said:

so @DSTZach, is the packaging just packaging or is there a cool base that holds 6 figures that also goes into this?  just curious since someone mentioned a blacklight feature in the packaging of the NBX one.  i'm a sucker for cool display bases. 

From what I have seen, it is six windows/trays in the round, under a hexagonal cover. But the cover can be removed to reveal a diorama-type artwork that surrounds the figures, so I believe they can be displayed without the cover (still in trays). Not sure if you can remove them from the trays and put them back into the diorama-type artwork. Waiting on some details. 

No black light in this one, sadly.

13 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Walgreens seems pretty keen on NBX at least once a year. Marvel might be an evergreen but NBX has shown up every Halloween for as long as I can recall.

WG has had our NBX figures on the shelf year-round for a while now. Not sure if that will continue, or if we're moving in other directions. I know their planned Creature Under the Stairs exclusive is now going to comic shops.