UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST SDCC 2021 Exclusives

2 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Zach ,should I now be encouraged to formally pursue a 1000 run fan-boy box-set ?

I imagine that would depend on how much your villains would cost. Are we talking lots of new tooling or just printing?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I imagine that would depend on how much your villains would cost. Are we talking lots of new tooling or just printing?

Did they limit these to 1k? If that’s the case no wonder they just did basic reissues. Also if we can do this fan set that @buttheadsmateis talking about I want my wrecking crew! Or at least my new Mutants guy/girl chests vs a hellion guy/girl. 

8 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Inevitably tooling influences choice but I see no real reason to hold back too much , this is about achieving a small dream rather than a huge profit .  My 'actual' dream-list of Marvel Minimate characters would include,for example, a 'Mimic' but he's unlikely to be saleable enough .....this is about achieving a small dream rather than losing my shirt:rolleyes:

I've mentioned the AIM guy, I honestly feel that that one character is simple enough & saleable . Tooling-minimal . 

The 2nd. character I'd want is, coincidentally in many ways , The Super Adaptoid who is undoubtedly my most wanted Minimate .  Tooling obviously exists, just buy in a can or two of green paint & off we go. 

So far so good ? One compromise ,one grail ,little or no tooling .

The 3rd. character is the hardest choice because it might define a theme , it seems that a theme is essential .....but this is a fan-boy box-set so in many ways I may want to change my mind ..... MODOK is the commercial decision but I'm not sure. 

5 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Now let's speculate the other four figures that would make up that Logan set. ?

Well, the serial killer himself, Professor X, Laura, and a villain so Donald Pierce

22 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Some of my favourite villains would come with 'my' wishlist box set , I have a long-term wish to be involved in a fan-boy (albeit old fan-boy) box set .  I'd invest $$$ but i get to pick the figures & only one would be a re-run ... an AIM guy ....obviously.      Seems a bit harsh to me that Luke had to sign up for 3000 sets now that a 1000 run, SDCC exclusive has been announced !   

Zach ,should I now be encouraged to formally pursue a 1000 run fan-boy box-set ?

The size of the run depends on a lot of factors, but yeah, tooling and deco are the big ones. Luke's Multiple Man two-pack run was a lot smaller than 3,000 pieces, but obviously the legwork had been done, and they were being made at the same time as the main run.

We can justify a lower run if we see a set as a marketing expense, one that will increase visibility and sales of the line, through press or retail presence (like this SDCC set). A set that is going to an e-tailer warehouse or a UK barn is another story. 

BUT if you're really serious about a set, you should talk to Luke about splitting a run, and go through him, as he has a sales rep and a proven sales history and a US address. As far as I know we still don't sell to the UK.

BUT, not all tooling ever created is still available. The AIM agent tooling is no longer around, that was a question I asked VERY recently in regards to an existing tooling set, and it's a no-go. 

Hope you guys like the hexagonal packaging. And get a good look at Laura, things are shifting around a bit so I'm not sure when she'll be released. 

Edited by DSTZach

Thanks for the candid reply, please note that I am serious about this ,so I'll remind you  that I'm not 12 years old & that I am quite aware that the market for my Minimates set would be the US & not the UK .  :rolleyes:  I'm a fan-boy not fucking stupid.

I have no e-tailer warehouse & no barn but I've just sold (a barn) again so, for a little while, I am fairly rich & still not stupid. :thumbsup:  

Luke would undoubtedly be my first port of call , I think he would take me seriously bearing in mind that he has supplied me with a case of every box set ever made & 4 cases of every wave of nigh on every line that DST has ever produced.

That might imply that I actually am stupid.

Perhaps now is the time to say that I have at the very least 6 unopened packs of every production Minimate ever made.

Now that is stupid .:yes:

I also have others:blink:

I would be more than happy to sponsor ( right word? ) my own choice of Minimates , it will be cheaper than buying  dozens of sets from some of the woeful releases that I've found myself enduring over the years . My choice nobody forced me.

I'm sorry I picked on such a difficult idea for my re-run figure , heaven forbid us some new tooling for a 12 year old Minimate's helmet :sarcasm-1: .  If a yellow painted Minimate with a newly-tooled' helmet is going to be a hurdle then I am beginning to see what I'm up against!  

So let's start again ........

Ouch. My response was completely earnest and heartfelt. I even threw in a reference to your barn full of Minimates (which you sold???) in what I thought was a personalizing sort of way. I could have told you to go jump in your lake, but I took your interest VERY seriously. Sorry if it did not come across that way. 

I was just pointing out, in what I thought was my most helpful way possible, that (A) you would need to go through someone else, as DIamond Comics has no idea who you are, and would not sell to you in the UK, and (B) Getting a run of 1000 pieces is highly unlikely, especially if you want new tooling, which INCLUDES the AIM agent. But these are all just suggestions, not rules, since I'm not in sales.

I would LOVE to see a box set of new or re-purposed Minimates designed by Luke and BHM, but I think it would be more likely that DST would come up with a few set concepts and pitch them to you guys as possibilities. That's how it usually works. That said, there was an army-builder box set idea we were kicking around (with no AIM agent), so that would potentially be one of the suggestions. 

It's honestly OK Zach :yes:  I'm actually moving to the lake , in a house that I've been building for the last 2 years . I'm actually getting quite good at it now.  Mon Repos.

If I appear egocentric ...Amen ! That however isn't my goal , ICGAF about being officially associated with this dream box set but if I'm paying I'm choosing... with an awful lot of help from my friends (or foes) ....Chef Duff got his way so why can't I .

1 hour ago, cylonchaney said:

Did you know bhm gets paid for these dad jokes? It's not very lucrative though.

He's got to deliver multiple puns per nickel.

Puns per nickel! I would be insulted we are British my dear chap. Pennies, pounds, feet and inches if you please, lol

The Chef Duff Minimates where a surprise to me. Probably because I thought it was such a whisk of a set. Looking back in the database (Hail Ivan) Its a stonker (Good) of a minimate pack and the extras just make it.