UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST SDCC 2021 Exclusives

The fact is that the last Marvel minimate box set was Avengers Endgame , that was 2 years ago  .  Personally, I have kept up my Marvel Minimate collecting in the last 2 years with Walgreen releases  & quite why WG 'mates aren't revered is yet another mystery to me . IMHO WG 'mates are that 'pinnacle' that I alluded to in an earlier post, they're stunning .  

An SDCC ,updated ,Endgame set is the first box-set after a 2 year drought  , when compared to what I'm seeing in the WG waves  , they look ordinary , very ordinary. 

I'm going to a pub next week for a beer ,the first time in many a long day .  Despite the wait & despite the novelty I will still want good beer not just any ordinary beer .   

BTW ..........Ou est Le Falcon ?

Edited by buttheadsmate
sarcasm

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

The fact is that the last Marvel minimate box set was Avengers Endgame , that was 2 years ago  .  Personally, I have kept up my Marvel Minimate collecting in the last 2 years with Walgreen releases  & quite why WG 'mates aren't revered is yet another mystery to me . IMHO WG 'mates are that 'pinnacle' that I alluded to in an earlier post, they're stunning .  

An SDCC ,updated ,Endgame set is the first box-set after a 2 year drought  , when compared to what I'm seeing in the WG waves  , they look ordinary , very ordinary. 

I'm going to a pub next week for a beer ,the first time in many a long day .  Despite the wait & despite the novelty I will still want good beer not just any ordinary beer .   

BTW ..........Ou est Le Falcon ?

some people

Retailers can order as many as they want, but their orders will be allocated. So for our store if I ordered 100 or 200 or even 1000 sets, I might only get like 50 no matter what my order was. That is how it works with many SDCC exclusives for retailers. So most stores play it safe and assume they won't get their full order, so they only make 50 preorders available. If they happen to get more, they can always put them back in stock. That is what we will have to do for our store. 

1 hour ago, spidermatt said:

How are these avengers exclusive sets already sold out on places like big bad toy store?

I ordered one.  And when luke opens up orders i’ll probably order another set.  I’m not a scalper - i just think this set looks like a lot of fun and maybe i’ll want to open one and keep one closed bc i honestly think the packaging will be awesome.  

that and i have (i believe) every marvel movie mate and i’ve been collecting minimates since the oversized art asylum days.   I got the first toyfair promo and the rob zombie, alice cooper, etc ones and never quit.  I don’t have them all but i buy what i like and when i don’t like something i just don’t buy it.  But i don’t complain it got made.  Someone else’s collecting joy rarely impacts what i like.   And honestly, the fact that this set is getting produced is bringing me joy. 

not every minimate fan is on this forum and thankfully there are people that want this set.  It increases the chances of future sets.  Marvel legends can make more characters because they know people will buy them.    

Edited by nandoninny

51 minutes ago, nandoninny said:

I ordered one.  And when luke opens up orders i’ll probably order another set.  I’m not a scalper - i just think this set looks like a lot of fun and maybe i’ll want to open one and keep one closed bc i honestly think the packaging will be awesome.  

that and i have (i believe) every marvel movie mate and i’ve been collecting minimates since the oversized art asylum days.   I got the first toyfair promo and the rob zombie, alice cooper, etc ones and never quit.  I don’t have them all but i buy what i like and when i don’t like something i just don’t buy it.  But i don’t complain it got made.  Someone else’s collecting joy rarely impacts what i like.   And honestly, the fact that this set is getting produced is bringing me joy. 

not every minimate fan is on this forum and thankfully there are people that want this set.  It increases the chances of future sets.  Marvel legends can make more characters because they know people will buy them.    

Very cool that you ordered them. I usually order my mates from luke and bbts. But i didnt know these were out until i checked facebook then went to bbts and ee and saw they were both sold out.

1 hour ago, nandoninny said:

You're the best, gold star for you!

Edited by Mattallica

29 minutes ago, Mattallica said:

You're the best, gold star for you!

Matt, please, I'm worried about you. You've gotten really heated at almost anything these days, and I think this level of anger towards everything is really dangerous for your mental health. I know you're frustrated over a lot of how Minimates have been, but yelling at Zach and dropping f-bombs over a box set meant for casual buyers isn't the best way to cope. You don't like when there's no new Minimates, but you also get furious when there's new Minimates that aren't specifically what you want. I know you're passionate about the line, but they're still just toys in the end. I think you need to step away for a bit, it really worries me that you get this angry over stuff

"You've gotten really heated at almost anything these days" 

i commented on one thing, then people want to call me out for my opinion,  thats on them.

Zach obviously was butt hurt that i didnt care for the new set and used "fuck you" many times in his post as a way to single me out ( i said it once), maybe we should be  concerned  for him

I appreciate your concern, but im good

SDCC always brings out the best in all of us .... well...er....some people :D

Fortunately,this year, there appears to be an absence of those great joy-bringers that unite the common man ,promos.  Who can forget the joy that those Gold Alligators & Vorins brought us :(  Oh how I wish I could have been at one of those private parties with good ol' Digger.

I'm not sure whether I commented at the time ?

Lessons were learnt & at SDCC2017 DST gave us the last Turtle to complete our collections  ,that worked well , I remember it being Nickelodeon's fault ,not DST's.:rolleyes:

There won't actually be anybody at SDCC this year will there ,so selling 2000 of these on line might be a good decision ?

Scalping Diamond Cardboard Collectors exclusive might be a winner.

-butthurtsmate 

Not Marvel. Similar concept.

hm

I’m putting my guess firmly on Joes, but personally I’d prefer more Transformers. 
Could be a new line or something making a comeback though which would be welcome. 
As a dark horse guess I’m gonna throw out there the Fellowship of the Ring. Big collection of well known characters and its Fellowship’s 20th anniversary. 

... Jesus fucking Christ it’s Fellowship’s 20th anniversary. 

And it occurred to me that DST has done a pack that large once before with a 10 pack for the Hall of Armor which was SDCC exclusive. 
Hell I’d be all for a LOTR 10 pack with the Fellowship and Gollum. 

Edited by Trekker 42

image.jpeg.e4329f6ad5031e67ec12232a5342a59f.jpeg

What's this? What's this? It's a new gift set of Nightmare before Christmas Minimates! Based on Tim Burton's stop-motion classic, Jack Skellington, Sally, the Mayor, the Wolfman, Behemoth and the Clown with the Tearaway Face come packaged in a hexagonal display that shows off a different character on each side. Each 2-inch Minimates mini-figure features multiple points of articulation and fully interchangeable parts. Designed by Barry Bradfield! Limited to 1000 pieces.

Of course we care about long-time fans. If DST didn't give a [darn] about long-time fans, we wouldn't still be rolling out series 80 and 81 to specialty stores with half of them being all-new characters. We'd walk away and focus on movies and animated at Walgreens.

As far as me coming on this board and saying something should not be TAKEN as a "[dang] you," i'm merely pointing out that not every single release in a line -- ANY line -- can be about the old fans. Marvel Legends inserts Spidey, Cap or IM whenever they can, and repackages them in new retro packaging and fans go nuts. 

MM Series 82 is all existing characters in new variations -- is that a [dang] you to long-time MM fans? From what I've been hearing, no. People are excited. 

This is a commemorative set. It commemorates something. The movie came out almost a decade ago. We upgraded the figures because I think Minimates have improved since then, they're always improving, because a long-time fan designs them and another one chooses the line-ups. 

hmmmm, i thought for sure it'd be LOTR but that's cool.

now, as a long time fan who has all the NBX i'm gonna wait to see if there are variations i consider worth getting and if not i'll pass without getting upset.  any chance to spread the minimate love is good for me.

i mentioned it in the GI JOE thread in different words but its impossible to please everyone and some people will always find something to complain about.

now, the other part of visiting DST's booth at SDCC is seeing the new releases.  so now that we know what the exclusives are for minimates i'm dying to know what news is gonna trickle out.  my big hopes is for GI Joe set 2 and very much hoping a mortal kombat line gets announced (pure hope and speculation on my part).

As always, thanks for the heads up Zach.  As for the berating DSTs exclusives, lets not get personal. Make your opinion known and move on. This place has always been a sounding board for opinions on DSTs (and many others) offerings, but it is NOT a place to abuse others about their love or hate of said offerings. The world is toxic enough, don't bring it here.

Sorry, I should not have used foul language, and I should not have targeted someone's negative opinions as being necessary for a response. I love MInimates, and I love DST, and I can get overly defensive.  I still think this release is more indicative of the perceived potentially broad appeal of Minimates rather than a negation of the long-term fan base. 

Edited by DSTZach

30 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

.... I should not have targeted someone's negative opinions as being necessary for a response.

All i ever said was I didn't like the set, not that others couldn't or shouldn't.

it was others that made/are still making it personal.

12 minutes ago, Mattallica said:

All i ever said was I didn't like the set, not that others couldn't or shouldn't.

it was others that made/are still making it personal.

To be fair, you said the set was a "f--- you", which is more than dislike, it's an implication that the set was designed to specifically exclude or even annoy existing fans. I think that was what I took issue with. People are obviously free to dislike it. But I apologize for targeting you.

Edited by DSTZach
apology

As far as new NBX characters go, I think we are getting to the bottom of the barrel and/or the limits of Minimate engineering. On the one hand you have barely-speaking characters like the witches, Frankenstein, Gatekeeper... on the other hand you have overly-designed characters like the Creature and the Hanging Tree. 

Edited by DSTZach
typo