UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST SDCC 2021 Exclusives

Remember, these will be available through Luke's and other retailers, so don;t worry if GG sells out. We were conservative this year, we over-ordered last year on a lot of stuff. 

DiamondSelectToys.com is still a work in progress. 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m assuming DST’s target audience for this set is new collectors because 6 minimates from 9 yrs ago (w very minor tweaks) for $40 is not appealing at all. Especially w all the umade goodness from Endgame. 

Edited by fwoosheyman

To be fair to DST, Hasbro is still mining the Avengers movies for Marvel Legends figures (they have announced four new figures from them this last week alone) so I think there definitely must still be a market for toys from these movies.

57 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

I’m assuming DST’s target audience for this set is new collectors because 6 minimates from 9 yrs ago (w two minor tweaks) for $40 is not appealing at all. Especially w all the umade goodness from Endgame. 

plus suckers like me who love the marvel movie mates and gotta have em all -- even if it is just a cool exclusive packaging to keep it in (assuming its gonna be cool anyways)

Glad they’re confirmed to be new prints. The first promo shot was literally the same as the prototype pics from the 2012 figures. 

I still would have preferred a big Endgame final battle set, but I’m just happy to see Minimates at a convention again.

Edited by Smashmaster12

1 hour ago, hellpop said:

To be fair to DST, Hasbro is still mining the Avengers movies for Marvel Legends figures (they have announced four new figures from them this last week alone) so I think there definitely must still be a market for toys from these movies.

I agree 100%. However, Hasbro is making unmade characters and filling in the gaps. Give me some movie-mates of characters/costumes that haven’t been made and I’m all in. Even if they are packed w some re-releases. 

2 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Obviously the set isn't for everybody. But if you're late to Minimates, you might want a Movie 1 set. 

I hear you.

Those of us that weren't late to Minimates might add to our collections our 15th Hawkeye or Black Widow ,our 31st Thor ,our 49th Hulk & our 50th Captain America.

A boxed set of A+list SDCC Marvel Minimates should be the pinnacle of everything that has come before , here's the rub (for me at least) none of them is going to be a classic or a must-have & that speaks volumes .    

Edited by buttheadsmate

I’d really have to see what the packaging on this thing looks like, if the figures are posed inside and it makes for a nice looking display, then sure, if not and the just vanilla posed the whole way around, then nah, only got room for one of each character in my mcu setup, and none of the figures  here would knock off the ones I already have up

Did I forget 'our' 81st. Iron Man ?   I wasn't sure whether he'd be our 81st. or 82nd. 

I've read that there will be 1000 sets of these (source Dorkside Toys) & ,each & every site I am finding, limits your spending to one set .......there is one ebay seller however that is prepared to sell you a set for $154.98 & appears to have 8 cases of 12 in his future inventory. 

1000 sets ?  IMHO that wouldn't be the first time DST has produced such a small number of Minimates . 

10 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Obviously the set isn't for everybody.  

Obviously.

Seems I'm with a lot of folks here. MCU mates aren't my main interest as is, so a purchase would actually depend on how they are packaged instead of the figures themselves. Other MCU figures for me are better then these figures for iconic MCU looks.

Nice figures in all but not a OMG WOW must buy to have or replace a figure that has come before it.

As I've said I may buy a set just on the packaging concept if it looks good as I can imagine it on a small battery operated rotating stand in a display case etc.

I'm hoping the packaging is based on this shot:
the+avengers+movie.gif

By the way, what happened to "part two" of this announcement? Is another set going to be offered? Maybe based on NEW Avengers? (Scarlet Witch, White Vision, Captain America, White Wolf, etc.)

4 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

By the way, what happened to "part two" of this announcement? Is another set going to be offered? Maybe based on NEW Avengers? (Scarlet Witch, White Vision, Captain America, White Wolf, etc.)

that'd be awesome but i doubt both minimate sets would be marvel film related.....announcements will continue until friday so we'll see.

i honestly don't even know what to guess.

based on the original announcement there is still a Lord of the Rings exclusive to come.  doubt that would be the other minimate but who knows.  there's still time for the spanish inquisition box set

How is a set of Minimates a [dang] you to anybody? We could have made NO Minimates as an SDCC exclusive, and I'm sure that would have been considered a [dang] You by somebody as well. I bet if the set had had one, two, or three new Minimates and three-to-five rehashes it would have been considered a [dang] You to somebody who didn't want to pay for dupes. My guess is there is a very narrow window of what would NOT have been considered a [dang] You, at least to some people. 

The overall concept of the set was the original six Avengers, as a tribute to that in-the-round scene. They were nearly all updated somewhat. Falcon, Thor, BW and Hulk are all noticeably different. Cap and IM not so much.

Edition size is actually 2000. Not sure why retailers are limiting it, but it still may very well end up selling out. This should discourage scalpers, assuming there are any interested parties. 

I'd share the packaged concept art -- which retailers like Luke are allowed to see, but no one has actually shared, and I probably shouldn't share -- but it is a very early concept.

Second set is not Marvel, but is a similar concept.

Edited by DSTZach
language

29 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

How is a set of Minimates a fuck you to anybody? We could have made NO Minimates as an SDCC exclusive, and I'm sure that would have been considered a Fuck You by somebody as well. I bet if the set had had one, two, or three new Minimates and three-to-five rehashes it would have been considered a Fuck You to somebody who didn't want to pay for dupes. My guess is there is a very narrow window of what would NOT have been considered a Fuck You, at least to some people. 

the set does nothing for those of us who have supported this line for years  thats a FUCK YOU, but more importantly is  YOUR comment that makes it that much more obvious that DST doesnt give a FUCK about long time fans, and for you to make such a statement on a site like this that is primarily inhabited by long time fans and then to  be surprised by the reaction is just sad. 

it seems like you have a grasp of alot of scenarios, that would be met with dissatisfaction from "fans" why not try doing something different then?

-Some people