UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Shang Chi Movie Mates

mc2109

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/9/2021 at 9:53 AM, buttheadsmate said:

A valid point although I question most ?    

Leg articulation (with Minimates in general) is a sore subject with me , so many minimates have separate feet parts  for almost no reason at all ( unless you want to pose the feet 'a la penguin' or Charlie Chaplin .....whilst many others have rigid 'bootlike' appendages which are totally inarticulate ( TMNT /Iron Man etc.etc.) !?

Then there's the Minimate knee joint that will only bend 90 degrees .....a gentle redesign to increase the angle would make so much difference to poseability but it seems like I'm the only person that it bothers. 

Nope. I’m bothered. But then again I also am annoyed we don’t get extra hands.

The only reason I bothered giving Minimates a try was because of the articulation. As far as I know it's still superior to every other block figure available (especially LEGO), which is an admittedly low bar, but Minimates leaps over that bar with ease.

Is there room for improvement? Sure. Would it help attract more consumers than it would it would lose? Hard to tell. I've often wondered if simply changing the size of the peg hole in the foot would be a benefit since the brand would no longer compete in the construction set category.

Personally, I'd welcome a bicep swivel so long as gravity didn't make the forearm fall off. But is it worth the development costs?

16 hours ago, MisterPL said:

The only reason I bothered giving Minimates a try was because of the articulation. As far as I know it's still superior to every other block figure available (especially LEGO), which is an admittedly low bar, but Minimates leaps over that bar with ease.

Is there room for improvement? Sure. Would it help attract more consumers than it would it would lose? Hard to tell. I've often wondered if simply changing the size of the peg hole in the foot would be a benefit since the brand would no longer compete in the construction set category.

Personally, I'd welcome a bicep swivel so long as gravity didn't make the forearm fall off. But is it worth the development costs?

You are getting far deeper than I my friend. I just want each mate to come with extra posing hands. The number of Jesus and Puck figures i own just for the hands is almost at cult level.

• 2 months later...

After seeing the Shang Chi Marvels Legends figures being clearanced before the movie is even out makes me think DST made the right choice by not making these. Death Dealer was the only cool looking one to me. The rest were ok at best. I have a feeling the Eternals movie is not going to be good so I am not upset that we aren't seeing minimates for that movie.

I'm not a MCU minimate fan but I would buy minimates of the Moon Knight show, Venom 2 (Sony pictures I know) and the upcoming Spider-Man movie. It sounds like characters from the Raimi movies and the Amazing Spider-Man films will be in the new Spider-Man movie. That would be a great opportunity to give us a Spider-Man 1 Green Goblin and a Garfield Spider-man plus others.

I'm not convinced one SKU (a 4-pack) would have been a mistake in the specialty market. The mass market has to move product much quicker than specialty but unlike mass, Shang-Chi is a known entity in comic shops.

That said, this pandemic has been profoundly disruptive to supply chains and release dates. If Shang-Chi pulls a Black Panther, retailers will be miffed. 

I would have been more for 616 versions of the characters the movie versions, but that just me. The majority of MCU figures don't grab my interest other then the original Iron Man ones.

I am hoping Shang Chi does well as a movie release (The later trailers look good.)

uQTzIHi.jpg

work in progress. Can't decide if I like with or without sleeves. To bruce lee hair or not to bruce lee hair? Dull gold gauntlets or bright gold gauntlets?

Life is full of difficult decisions. I decided on Ming from comic book men for the face. Miles Morales prototype backwards for the shirt, which could work with some sleeves too. I also thought animated Antman could work for his torso.

YPBJH9X.jpeg

Here's the QC I did.  More of a mid 00s comics version than an MCU or Classic Comics version.  Basically just a Ryu body on some Deadpool legs and some strikeforce X-Men cuffs.

Yours looks fantastic, Wookiefodder.  Great use of that wonky protoMiles torso.

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing the movie I guess a hypothetical wave would be 

Shang-Chi & Wenwu

Katy & Death Dealer 

Xialing & Razorfist

Boxset: 

Shang-Chi 

Wenwu

*Ying Nan (Shang-Chi's aunt)

*Ying Li ( Shang-Chi's mother)

Pack in Morris microfigure

Realistically they probably would've done just one boxset and put the main characters there. Would've loved to have this film represented in my collection. 

2 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I wonder if the low preorders on Bruce Lee Minimates had any impact on DST's decision to pass on Marvel's first movie with an Asian lead. I sure hope not.

That would be heartbreaking. I was thinking of the same this about the Eternals mates. The most diverse cast in Marvel history and they pass on ‘mates? I just keep shaking my head over this. Makes no sense. 

On 8/22/2021 at 6:47 PM, THE_CRIPPLER said:

After seeing the Shang Chi Marvels Legends figures being clearanced before the movie is even out makes me think DST made the right choice by not making these. Death Dealer was the only cool looking one to me. The rest were ok at best. I have a feeling the Eternals movie is not going to be good so I am not upset that we aren't seeing minimates for that movie.

I'm not a MCU minimate fan but I would buy minimates of the Moon Knight show, Venom 2 (Sony pictures I know) and the upcoming Spider-Man movie. It sounds like characters from the Raimi movies and the Amazing Spider-Man films will be in the new Spider-Man movie. That would be a great opportunity to give us a Spider-Man 1 Green Goblin and a Garfield Spider-man plus others.

This might not be the place but I emphatically second the new spider-man being an absolutely excellent chance for not only a Raimi Green Goblin but also a Raimi Doctorpus. While I am disappointed (and tbh a little shocked) that the latest installation of the wildly successful MCU has warranted no minimates at all, I am hopeful that throwing back to the Raimi films (and indeed, the genesis of the modern Marvel feature film fandom) in the new Spider-Man will usher in a new wave of nostalgia for those films and hopefully allow we minimate fans to finally have a chance at the Raimi designs that may have kickstarted some of our Marvel/Spider-Man fandom. 

For two things that dominated the early millennium (Raimi's Spiderman renaissance and the arrival of the hyper-articulated block figure that is the minimate ) it seems an absolutely travesty they are still yet to be married. The Raimi spider verse was, for many, the first instance of the Marvel world they experienced, and I feel the level of nostalgia amongst my generation for the Raimi trilogy is often overlooked.

Tl;Dr : would love a Raimi Green Goblin/Doctor Octopus, in the event DST don't make a habit of skipping Marvel cinematic tie-ins.

On 9/12/2021 at 7:22 PM, MisterPL said:

I wonder if the low preorders on Bruce Lee Minimates had any impact on DST's decision to pass on Marvel's first movie with an Asian lead. I sure hope not.

It had nothing to do with Bruce Lee. Unfortunately, a potential retail partner for Shang Chi dropped out. 

On 9/12/2021 at 9:37 PM, Padrino said:

That would be heartbreaking. I was thinking of the same this about the Eternals mates. The most diverse cast in Marvel history and they pass on ‘mates? I just keep shaking my head over this. Makes no sense. 

To be fair, the Eternals are not a proven sales giant. Even their comic history is spotty and you don't meet a lot of "Eternals fans". I am curious how the Legends do. 

Maybe if Shang-Chi had a lead named "Chris" the retailer would have been more supportive.

I'm having trouble recalling how many Guardians of the Galaxy fans I knew of before that flick hit. Not that I found the first trailer for Eternals impressive by any stretch. It may be a property worth revisiting.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:31 PM, MisterPL said:

Maybe if Shang-Chi had a lead named "Chris" the retailer would have been more supportive.

Maybe!

On 9/15/2021 at 2:31 PM, MisterPL said:

I'm having trouble recalling how many Guardians of the Galaxy fans I knew of before that flick hit. Not that I found the first trailer for Eternals impressive by any stretch. It may be a property worth revisiting.

The new GOTG was pretty popular in comics, coming off of that big Annihilation crossover like they did. Granted, few of the characters were big stars before that. I read about Drax and Nebula in the 1990s Surfer comics, and about Gamora in the Infinity War, and about Rocket in the original Rocket series (big Mignola fan), so I knew most of them save Star-Lord and Groot (who I kinda knew of as a Marvel monster in passing). But I have literally never read any Eternals comics, and could not name any beyond Ikaris and Sersi. My only exposure is probably the Official Handbook.