UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Shang Chi Movie Mates

mc2109

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Yikes...I'm feeling increasingly glad I gave up on Marvel Movie Minimates!

I'm just not a fan of incomplete lines and DST seems to be moving away from MCU more and more. I could kinda get FFH and WandaVision since there was a lot of old character overlap there, but to skip a brand new character movie (with lots of bright and dynamic character designs), I'm not sure what that says about the line going forward...

Sadly, it makes sense. There would be way too much for them to keep up with at this rate of 4 films and however many D+ series a year, on top of producing comic based assortments. I'd be curious to see sales numbers of MCU waves compared to all comic and walgreens assortments- that would be my final hope that some would still be produced, but it does feel like it's the end of an era. 

There was a time when some movies warranted more than one assortment. Now we can't even get a 2-pack that includes the titular character.

If anything warranted concern it was when Chuck, a self-professed Spider-Fan, passed on Far From Home AND Into the Spider-verse. At least Ghost Rider got prototypes. Is DST offering any Shang-Chi product or are they just passing on Minimates?

Well here's hoping they do something like they did for FFH and Spider-Verse and release a themed wave to coincide with the new movies.  Like I would love a comic inspired line involving any of these new movie or D plus characters: A Master of Kung Fu Shang Chi, Death Dealer, White Vision, an updated USAgent, etc.  Give me them any day of the week over the bland, overly complicated designs from the MCU.

Uh.... er... no offense to the people who love those designs?

That's disappointing. Hasbro and Funko are both jumping on the train for the movie, Bandai just showed off their Figuarts for him, kind of lame that DST would skip out on it. Maybe Walgreens didn't want to and DST didn't see any luck for a comic shop set. I know Disney's own store does the occasional Marvel Select (They had Sam Cap, FFH Spidey, I'm sure they'll do one for Shang-Chi), I don't see why at least 2-pack would be out of the realm of possibility.

FWIW, Minimates were designed, but things got shifted around and the timing did not work out. We didn't just look at it and say "pass." 

I am not aware of a Select figure from the movie, either, but we would have to sell a lot more MS figures to make it work out than we would MM.

Edited by DSTZach

I'm not sure whether to laugh or roll my eyes when I read "the timing did not work out." I can't recall when timing has ever been DST's strong suit. This is the company that tried to debut John Wick 2 Minimates instead of John Wick when John Wick 3 is hitting theaters. This is the company that struggles to get out anniversary product within the correct calendar year.

Shang-Chi doesn't hit until September. There's merchandise on the shelves right now, WAY ahead of time, after only one trailer.

Seems like there's time to throw out a solicitation and let the consumers decide if they want at least a 4-pack from this flick.

I'm not sure whether I can voice a supportive voice..or not... for the Shang-Chi movie & subsequent Minimates  .  

It's been fairly obvious...leastways from my perspective ....that DST's Minimate direction has been completely rudderless for somewhile f@cking years. 

Right now we're soliciting for January shipping items. A little outside the window.

And we release Minimates as and where and when we can. If Walgreens or any hypothetical large buyer is not interested, that severely impacts the profitability of any potential release. If there is confidence in a product to succeed in pre-orders at independent retailers, meaning at the required numbers, we'll offer it. We do not want to continually offer products and continually cancel them. It does not give the best signals to retailers or consumers. 

It is nice to know that you tried. 
Eternals going the same way?

I guess this is the good cutoff point for MCU minimates for me. With Black Widow being a prequel before Endgame and FWS kinda acting as an Endgame epilogue I can solidly say that the story ends there and not feel too incomplete (despite FFH being missed)

I can say that but frankly I’m expecting to get pulled in by something like Fantastic Four. 

5 hours ago, DSTZach said:

FWIW, Minimates were designed

Zach, any chance DST would ever release unused design concepts to the public. For these specifically, but any 'mates that didn't make the final cut? That would be so cool to see. 

Again, all that makes sense. It's just sad to see DST unable to keep up with the higher capital companies like Hasbro and Funko that crank stuff out so quickly. Or at least that minimates don't get the same treatment and excitement as select figures

13 minutes ago, bofox said:

It's just sad to see DST unable to keep up with the higher capital companies like Hasbro and Funko that crank stuff out so quickly. 

That's what gets me. It was my understanding that Minimates enjoy a much quicker turnaround time from concept through licensor approval to production. I distinctly recall a representative bragging about the relatively rapid turnaround for these block figures.

And let's not underestimate the window of opportunity with collectibles aimed at geeks. Some of us waited years to finally get the main bad guy from that space movie a few decades back. If Shang-Chi becomes the next Black Panther, DST might want to consider taking a chance and letting the market decide what they want.

We got multiple waves for X-Men Origins Wolverine and Spider-Man 3, lol.

Thank god DST is focusing on the hot properties like Logan and Deadpool.  It gives me hope that maybe they will release Shang-Chi Minimates in 5-6 years, you know, when the product release window is right.

I personally can’t wait for next year’s Fant4stic and New Mutants releases.

Edited by youbastards

A valid point although I question most ?    

Leg articulation (with Minimates in general) is a sore subject with me , so many minimates have separate feet parts  for almost no reason at all ( unless you want to pose the feet 'a la penguin' or Charlie Chaplin .....whilst many others have rigid 'bootlike' appendages which are totally inarticulate ( TMNT /Iron Man etc.etc.) !?

Then there's the Minimate knee joint that will only bend 90 degrees .....a gentle redesign to increase the angle would make so much difference to poseability but it seems like I'm the only person that it bothers.