UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

G.I. Joe Minimates!

The Adventure Team and Super Adventure Team sets should be some sort of con exclusive. Series 3 and 4 should have been released before these were even considered. If DST cares about the sales of the G.I. Joe Minimates why would they not release series 3 and 4 first. They are going to easily outsell the Adventure team sets and shouldn't DST want that? Are others at DST even aware of all this negative feedback over the choices for release? 

99% of us G.I. Joe Minimates collectors can see that, yet DST seems to be blind to that fact. We of course will buy the Adventure Team sets because we are Minimates fans, but you all are really messing up on this line (between the lack of advertising and the characters released so far).

The Review Spot is another Youtube channel that would do reviews of the G.I. Joe Minimates if you sent him some sets. I know he has done some Minimate reviews in the past. I think he even reviewed the first G.I. Joe box set. Do a search on Facebook and join the G.I. Joe fan clubs and show pics of the Minimates to garner up more interest. I'm sure tons of G.I. Joe fans have no idea that G.I. Joe Minimates even exist. Heck, they even went out and bought those lousy Lego knockoff G.I. Joe sets until people realized that they were complete garbage.

G.I. Joe vehicles would also help sell this line. People are currently 3d printing huge G.I. Joe Classified sized vehicles because the vehicles are just as important as the characters in the line to many. I've stated before that G.I. Joe fans are pretty fanatical and support the products. Unfortunately you can't expect them to support the G.I. Joe Minimates if they don't even know that they exist. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, youbastards said:

Agreed, it's been a few years but I think I finally tracked down enough Aliens to represent each person in Hadleys Hope.

51671-Hadleys-Hope2-1.jpg

I have a minimum of 20 of each Marvel Army Builder, like 30-50 Madroxes, (Madroxi)?  I even Army Built around 5 of those damn Sentinel Max statues.

I would approach GI Joe Army Builders the exact same way. 

If given the opportunity.

5 Sentinel Maxs :ohmy:  

Edited by buttheadsmate

16 hours ago, fwoosheyman said:

not that I don’t find it entertaining but I don’t think a company employee engaging in a “comments war” with customers on a fan board is the best thing. 

It's a discussion. I mean, sure, I flamed out on Thereasonsy, but it's that time of year again, I guess. I seem to have one of these every 12 months or so. Let's get this over with...

14 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

DST used my image without my consent, and I chose to block that too.

What are you talking about? Honestly would like to know. 

If that makes you feel a certain way, last I heard you have a camera, access to the toys, and the logins to the DST account. You can shoot and make content to promote your brand and have it automated—just like me. Since you are a brand account, simply get your posts approved and scheduled into your favorite third-party scheduler or natively in the app. You can do it in batches or every day. Again, it’s your job. You figure it out.

Fans have a lot more freedom than we do. For instance, I can't shoot pictures of Marvel Minimates and post them on DST social media without getting them approved by Marvel. I can't mix Minimates of different brands without getting a stern talking-to from both licensors. That's why I try to work with fans to get content out there, in the form of influencers shooting photos. I have a long list of people who shoot for me, and more and more of them are getting into Minimates. Which is great. We even share them sometimes, as fan work. 

Let’s chat March Of Minimates. I don't need to get the company involved because, frankly, you should have been doing this on your own instead of engaging in back-and-forth on a message board all day.

Believe me, I'm starting to regret it. ;). I do NOT do this all day, just enough that people know I'm here and listening, to the good and bad, passing along ideas and opinions to the powers that be. I just take things a little personally, sometimes, because I'm passionate about it. Which is why, most of the time, I am on here at night.

If you knew how to actually market and how to do a giveaway, you would realize involving DST would have made it have a different set of rules that would have been a change to an already launched activation. You can't change the rules midstream. You didn't reach out until AFTER the first week. There are laws for influencer marketing, and there are laws for giveaways. Just because you don't know them doesn't mean I don't. I followed them to the letter, and it was a very successful month. Thanks for your interest in it. I'm glad to see that you are finally doing it next year instead of having others do the labor.

You're right, I should have reached out before March happened. And I will not do it next year. I will instead coordinate with my social media team and make sure that we do another Minimates photo contest, far away from March. We did one for the 20th anniversary, and I will try to make it annual. 

I don't work for you. I'm not going to give you or DST, a company that makes revenue, a complete promotion that costs over 50K to execute for free so that you can do whatever it is you want to instead of doing your job. If you wanted to hire me as a consultant, no thank you, you wouldn't be able to afford me. I did it for the community of FANS.

Lastly, I don't owe you any explanations as to why I do anything, since you are not my spouse, friend, or employer. The only interaction we have is that you work at a company where I spend a significant amount of money each year. That's it. However, you are a brand representative who has repeatedly spoken poorly about a customer on a public forum. Additionally, you have harassed other people about me even though I have made it clear that I do not wish to have any contact with you. This behavior is not a good look, sir. Seriously, yikes. 

I never asked for an explanation. But a DM after I reached out would have been nice. Even if just to say, "No thanks."

You're right, you put together a great event, that lasted a month, and you spent money out-of-pocket to finance the prizes. We'd probably have to pay somebody a lot of money to do that. I guess I just wanted to be involved in some way, personally (which is why I shot for it) as well as professionally (which is why I offered to supply prizes, late). Sorry to have bothered you, or tainted what should have been a great celebration of Minimates. Still curious about the image thing. DM me if you want.

11 hours ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

The Adventure Team and Super Adventure Team sets should be some sort of con exclusive. Series 3 and 4 should have been released before these were even considered. If DST cares about the sales of the G.I. Joe Minimates why would they not release series 3 and 4 first. They are going to easily outsell the Adventure team sets and shouldn't DST want that? Are others at DST even aware of all this negative feedback over the choices for release? 

I think I've gone over this. We have no idea if GI Joe Wave 3 would outsell the Adventure Team. It's anecdotal. So we are offering these FORMER EXCLUSIVES mainstream, to see how they do. Maybe Series 3 will become an exclusive, who knows. 

99% of us G.I. Joe Minimates collectors can see that, yet DST seems to be blind to that fact. We of course will buy the Adventure Team sets because we are Minimates fans, but you all are really messing up on this line (between the lack of advertising and the characters released so far).

I get it, we duplicated characters, but where are you looking for advertisements? We have advertised to retailers, in Previews; to toy collectors, in ToyCollectr; and to kids, in Archie comics. We also do online ads, on FB and the Diamond family of websites. We can't advertise in Entertainment Weekly for a $40 product we make less than 5000 of. 

The Review Spot is another Youtube channel that would do reviews of the G.I. Joe Minimates if you sent him some sets. I know he has done some Minimate reviews in the past. I think he even reviewed the first G.I. Joe box set. Do a search on Facebook and join the G.I. Joe fan clubs and show pics of the Minimates to garner up more interest. I'm sure tons of G.I. Joe fans have no idea that G.I. Joe Minimates even exist. Heck, they even went out and bought those lousy Lego knockoff G.I. Joe sets until people realized that they were complete garbage.

I sent the MInimates to Review Spot, most likely. I send him a lot of stuff, but he also buys a lot of stuff. I'll see if I sent him Series 2. I also join a lot of fan clubs on Facebook, but I'll see if I can find a good Joe one. I post on the Minimates fan groups, of course.

G.I. Joe vehicles would also help sell this line. People are currently 3d printing huge G.I. Joe Classified sized vehicles because the vehicles are just as important as the characters in the line to many. I've stated before that G.I. Joe fans are pretty fanatical and support the products. Unfortunately you can't expect them to support the G.I. Joe Minimates if they don't even know that they exist. 

Vehicles are a tough sell at the numbers we do. If a major retailer was involved, sure, but I don't know how much a vehicle would cost at specialty numbers. $100? You really have to amortize that tooling.

I wish I could've gotten more enthusiastic about GI Joe ,I really do, but as a non-fan of GI Joe but a massive fan of Minimates they aren't great Minimates . They seem like good likeness's (renditions ?) of the GI Joe characters ,they are in Minimate form but .....that's about it .  I'm not trying to stir anyone up but maybe Minimates & GI Joe just aren't a fit ?

Mass Effect Minimates aren't a perfect example for my observation (but they'll do) of how not to promote a new licence.

A popular licence sold at a video-game store should have been a winner . The Minimates were superb ,beautifully painted & in most respects beautiful renditions of the Mass Effect characters.   But how would a potential new Minimate fan know ?They were blind bagged & even though the 'potential new fan' can see what their faces look like (from the back of the blind-bag) they wouldn't have grasped what they were potentially buying.  I live in the UK but Mass Effect weren't a problem to procure .....with a little help from my US friends!  DST sold them to GameStop .....job done from DST's point of view .            Eventually ME Minimates freed from their bags became relatively cheap & abundant on eBay & I literally pigged out on them . It actually seemed like I was the only person buying them .    Things have changed ,nine years later , Mass Effect Minimates are rare & very interesting . PS I haven't a clue about any video game.   

Lessons were learned but here we are again with a new licence that is beautifully packaged with figures that you can see but IMHO (sorry GI Joe lovers) potential buyers aren't liking what they see!        :blush:                                                               

2 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

...potential buyers aren't liking what they see!        :blush:                                                               

I think many potential buyers aren't seeing them at all. 

It's a problem of exposure, I'm pretty certain. I haven't seen any Joe sites, or general toy sites for that matter, with free review samples in-hand doing features on these. A new line needs a big push!

18 hours ago, elhonez said:

I think many potential buyers aren't seeing them at all. 

It's a problem of exposure, I'm pretty certain. I haven't seen any Joe sites, or general toy sites for that matter, with free review samples in-hand doing features on these. A new line needs a big push!

You can see some of the sites I supplied here:

(121) gi joe minimates - YouTube

And here, if you skip all the Luke videos :) :

Find 'joe minimates' on TikTok | TikTok Search

There are not a ton of active Joe sites, but I have requested product for Hisstank, so they'll be diving in soon. 

4 hours ago, DSTZach said:

You can see some of the sites I supplied here:

(121) gi joe minimates - YouTube

And here, if you skip all the Luke videos :) :

Find 'joe minimates' on TikTok | TikTok Search

There are not a ton of active Joe sites, but I have requested product for Hisstank, so they'll be diving in soon. 

Well, crap. Maybe BHM is right and it's just not the right time for these? I wish there was time to let these breathe and find an audience.

On a tangent, I was in Target the other day for some essential thing, and reflected on how dramatically my toy-buying behaviors have shifted over the last decade. Just stepping into that place with its weird smells triggered all sorts of PTSD from peg-hunting adventures in days past.

I think the last time I was doing that with any regularity was during the era of Walgreens MiniMates, with periodic excursions to any one of the outrageous numbers of WGs here in San Francisco.

Edited by elhonez

Does DST provide anything to Michael Crawford?  That guy is the original toy review site and still gets a lot of views.  He’s started posting videos of his collection, it is insanely cool.  I think he lives like 20 minutes from me, I should try to reach out to him and meet up.

2 hours ago, youbastards said:

Does DST provide anything to Michael Crawford?  That guy is the original toy review site and still gets a lot of views.  He’s started posting videos of his collection, it is insanely cool.  I think he lives like 20 minutes from me, I should try to reach out to him and meet up.

I talk to him, I'm a Poppies judge. I don't think he would do Minimates.  Not really his type of product. But I guess there's no harm in asking. 

a Poppies judge! quite the flex there Mr Oat was psyched to see some mate's represented on the ballot there this year

i adore the Palz reviews on his site, an early block figure exposure (obviously they're a lil old now!)