UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

G.I. Joe Minimates!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a massive GI Joe fan... I have absolutely no interest in these. Like... my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Everyone here asking for troop builders, Flint, Lady Jaye, Firefly, Zartan, Dreadnoks, Serpentor, Gung Ho, Tunnel Rat, et all.

I saw no one asking for the Adventure Team.

I hope this sells well so the GI Joe line continues but... I'm not convinced this won't be a misstep causing the end of it, instead.

This is certainly a choice but I don’t know if it’s a good one. Between 4 box sets we have only 9 unique characters and 56% of the figures we have are Snake Eyes, Scarlet, and Storm Shadow. Retro 70’s Joes feels like it would be a fun SDCC set once the line has gotten through the main ones. Maybe it was something Hasbro wanted, but I’m going to be frustrated if this line goes the way of Kingdom Hearts with a strong start and then nothing but bad picks for the rest of the line. 2 Joes and 2 Cobras was such a great foundation

Edited by Smashmaster12

I'm so disappointed in this reveal. It's like your taking a baseball bat to it's knees before it this line even has a chance to stand and run. As mentioned above, maybe releasing these as a SDCC set down the line would be OK, but this early in the line is huge disappointment. A Dreadnok 4-pack with Torch, Ripper, Buzzer, and Zartan would sell insanely well, same with a Cobra troop builder pack. 

It's already reminding me of the DC Minimates where they were releasing obscure characters like Ma Hunkle and Ambush Bug instead of concentrating on fan favorite and well established characters. 

I'm not pointing a finger at you Zach, I am sure you were probably as shocked as the rest of us when you saw that these were being made. Is there some behind the curtain reasoning why these were decided on over the popular 80's G.I. Joe line?

Whippersnappers! LOL

I had a bunch of the originals and love these. Hopefully there's a lot of us "old man" collectors. I expect bhm will like Bulletman.

Next wave will be the same but with Kung-Fu grip. :) I'd love to see DST try that with a minimate hand.

Edited by cylonchaney

Seems I'm totally the other way prob being English. GI Joes with all the colourful characters never really made it over here, especially in my youth but some of those new Joes did branded under the Palitoy Action Man line which I think was the UK 12" original Joe stuff before it went star wars figure size.

So I remember playing with Commander Power, Bulletman, and Sheild with my Mego Superhero figures. So for me this is a big thumbs up! Especially Bulletman I played with that figure to death it had bald silver spots from being handled that much.

I Had to google the other charcters as didnt know them but all in all very happy.

37 minutes ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

I'm not pointing a finger at you Zach, I am sure you were probably as shocked as the rest of us when you saw that these were being made. Is there some behind the curtain reasoning why these were decided on over the popular 80's G.I. Joe line?

Nobody is buying the '80s Joe line. Blame character repeats if you like, but it doesn't change the situation. I am still pulling for Series 3/4, hopefully we can figure something out. Con exclusive, VHS set, what have you. 

13 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Nobody is buying the '80s Joe line. Blame character repeats if you like, but it doesn't change the situation. I am still pulling for Series 3/4, hopefully we can figure something out. Con exclusive, VHS set, what have you. 

I think the biggest pain is availability. These need to be in stores. I have three comic chains in my area, with six locations, and none of them knew about these until I requested them, directly, which got set 1 ordered.

The loss of Toys R Us has been such, such a blow to Minimates. I really, really hope that this new vendor pulls through, it can only help.

I'll buy them, because I support Minimates and because I might be able to use some stuff for customs but...man...

That's not what I was hoping for at all, like, I'm extremely disappointed and now upset that my feelings on this line underperforming were true. I've bought 4 of each set so far released to keep 1 set on card and open the others with duplicates for customs and tweaks. I've convinced a couple of my friends to buy some and even my brother.

Here's hoping that this major retailer comes through because I'm gonna be stuck customizing a hell of a lot of figures if this is how it ends. Just like I did with DC and Star Trek.

30 minutes ago, jettstorm said:

I'll buy them, because I support Minimates and because I might be able to use some stuff for customs but...man...

That's not what I was hoping for at all, like, I'm extremely disappointed and now upset that my feelings on this line underperforming were true. I've bought 4 of each set so far released to keep 1 set on card and open the others with duplicates for customs and tweaks. I've convinced a couple of my friends to buy some and even my brother.

Here's hoping that this major retailer comes through because I'm gonna be stuck customizing a hell of a lot of figures if this is how it ends. Just like I did with DC and Star Trek.

I bought six of the first con set, three of the second, three of set one, two of set two. 

I'm with you. I'm trying.

But I don't even know what I would do, with these. I can't even think what custom I would do with any of them.

1 hour ago, Navaan said:

I think the biggest pain is availability. These need to be in stores. I have three comic chains in my area, with six locations, and none of them knew about these until I requested them, directly, which got set 1 ordered.

The loss of Toys R Us has been such, such a blow to Minimates. I really, really hope that this new vendor pulls through, it can only help.

We offer them to retailers every month. If they order toys, then DST is the first retailer they see in the Previews catalog. If they look at what is shipping each week in toys, DST items are at the top. Unfortunately, the new retailer is online, but I think it would still boost visibility.

1 hour ago, Chooch said:

I'll get these for the oddity factor alone, but would have preferred the ARAH stuff kept going. Are these Con exclusives?

At this time, I do not believe they are con exclusives -- we just showed them to retailers in their private Showcase, so I assume they will be in Previews soon. We tried not to show any exclusives there. They are definitely not for SDCC as far as I know. 

Instead of doing things like simplifying the packaging to reduce the price of gijoe boxsets to be in line w other sets, stop releasing the same characters over and over or an army builder boxset the decision was to do not one but two older/more obscure boxsets. 🤯

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again DST management makes horrible choices time and time again when it comes to minimates (Trek, KH, DC)

I sure hope this works or the retailer comes through. GIJOE mates have been my favorite of the hasbro lines and the one w best potential to last a long time.  As others have said this is a total disappointment and sure looks like a death blow. 

4 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Oh no! I didn’t realize they weren’t selling. The 80s Joe minimates are my favorite current minimate line so that is definitely disheartening. I actually thought they would sell real well especially with the retro packaging. 

I definitely didn’t see the Adventure Team coming. That was before my time so I have no attachment to them. Hopefully the future of the Joe line does not rest on how well these sell.

Man those really have to be the most dead on arrival sets I’ve ever seen, I can’t possibly envision these making it past the preorder stage, why you take a line which is already underperforming and elect to follow it up with the one of the most obscure and unloved corner or the property is beyond me

Has Hasbro acknowledged Minimates on their social media? It would be great if they could have given shout outs to the lines when their properties were getting released/promoted. 

will these sets be on the retro cards at $10 a mate? Or will they at least be in the more palatable/affordable box format?

How can the ReAction G.I Joe figures that are warming the pegs at Targets be on wave 6, yet the G.I. Joe Minimates be struggling to get wave 3/4 released? I'm wondering if it is due to lack of awareness/no advertising for them. G.I. Joe Minimate fans need to start posting pics of them on any G.I. Joe Facebook fan pages that you are a part of. Help get the word out.