UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

G.I. Joe Minimates!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can concur about the Halo Mega stuff ,there is some good stuff available albeit not cheap . I am not an avid block-builder but in the past I have modified several 'cockpits etc.' to fit Minimates ...simply & successfully.  Mega Blok figures however make good firelighters . There are 2 Mega Blok Pro tanks that are kinda scale but they are BIG but then again so are tanks :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

So yesterday I was in Ollie's Bargain Outlet, looking mostly for cheap graphic novels, but of course I also took a look at the toys. While there I found a set of GI Joe Lego knockoffs; it wasn't Kre-O but something else they released. This set included Snake Eyes and a little vehicle. It looks pretty small, but I figured it was worth the eight bucks to see if it would fit in with Minimates. Unfortunately, this is undoubtedly the shoddiest Lego wannabe that I've ever seen. The design has none of the structural support safeguards that a real Lego release builds in, which is especially problematic in this case as the bricks do not lock in as they are supposed to. I had the thing mostly built but the roof wouldn't stay, and while I was fiddling with that the front assembly fell off. I ended up just boxing the whole thing back up. The sad thing is that it does look like a Minimate would fit in rather well, better than a Lego, but I'll never know. Anyway, if you see one of these sets in the wild don't bother, unless you want to glue the set together or something. At least I got an official Snake Eyes minifig out of the whole thing!

19 minutes ago, hellpop said:

So yesterday I was in Ollie's Bargain Outlet, looking mostly for cheap graphic novels, but of course I also took a look at the toys. While there I found a set of GI Joe Lego knockoffs; it wasn't Kre-O but something else they released. This set included Snake Eyes and a little vehicle. It looks pretty small, but I figured it was worth the eight bucks to see if it would fit in with Minimates. Unfortunately, this is undoubtedly the shoddiest Lego wannabe that I've ever seen. The design has none of the structural support safeguards that a real Lego release builds in, which is especially problematic in this case as the bricks do not lock in as they are supposed to. I had the thing mostly built but the roof wouldn't stay, and while I was fiddling with that the front assembly fell off. I ended up just boxing the whole thing back up. The sad thing is that it does look like a Minimate would fit in rather well, better than a Lego, but I'll never know. Anyway, if you see one of these sets in the wild don't bother, unless you want to glue the set together or something. At least I got an official Snake Eyes minifig out of the whole thing!

The entire line is horrible and not really a good fit for our Mates. It was heart breaking. 

23 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

So are we getting wave 3 or 4 or is it safe to assume we should start back up the Joe customizing journey? 

It remains to be seen. We're showing off two unusual Joe sets at the mid-April Showcase. Not 3 and 4. Hopefully people dig them, because we will probably offer them first,  unless the new retailer comes in and 3 gets moved up. 

ah man,

you know how excited we all are for these characters to come out.  i'm not sure if its the whole 'watched pot never boils' thing but i feel like everytime something is to be announced something happens on the back end where we just gotta wait more.

oh well.

still hoping we get a pretty big tigerforce box set sometime

he was super nice and was more worried about fitting his signature on there.  not sure if he thought they were custom or what but he didn't ask anything about them.

i also got comics and regular old joes signed too plus got a sketch from him.  he didn't really say much but was smiling the entire time and thanked me after i thanked him for coming to houston.  

he had a decent line of folks everytime i walked by so i think he was happy in general.

i'd met him about 20+ years ago when devils due was doing thier gi joe line so i really didn't have any new questions or anything so maybe i should have been more engaging but i didn't want to hold up the line

5 hours ago, funkguerilla said:

Did you know there actually is a Larry Hama figure?  A six inch guy from Fresh Monkey Fiction.

i did, thanks!  love it but i'm not really into 6" figures.  got a few but prefer minimates.

thanks though!  i did get the simpsons matt groening and stan lee figures.  was lucky enough to get the matt one signed but missed out on stan.  

On 3/27/2023 at 2:03 PM, DSTZach said:

It remains to be seen. We're showing off two unusual Joe sets at the mid-April Showcase. Not 3 and 4. Hopefully people dig them, because we will probably offer them first,  unless the new retailer comes in and 3 gets moved up. 

Oh man, now you've got me worried about the future of this license. GI Joe Minimates is a dream line for me and it feels like its just barely gotten started but that statement makes me feel like maybe these aren't doing as well as we hope they are for you guys. I hope I'm reading it wrong but I guess past history with Minimate licenses I loved the most dying prematurely (DC, MAX, Star Trek, Rocky) have me concerned. I really hope there is more life left in this line because I still have some pretty significant needs to feel even slightly fulfilled...especially some army builder Cobras.

23 hours ago, jettstorm said:

Oh man, now you've got me worried about the future of this license. GI Joe Minimates is a dream line for me and it feels like its just barely gotten started but that statement makes me feel like maybe these aren't doing as well as we hope they are for you guys. I hope I'm reading it wrong but I guess past history with Minimate licenses I loved the most dying prematurely (DC, MAX, Star Trek, Rocky) have me concerned. I really hope there is more life left in this line because I still have some pretty significant needs to feel even slightly fulfilled...especially some army builder Cobras.

Army Builders. Make a set with Trooper, Viper, Crimson Guard and BAT and it will sell like crazy to Joe fans.

On 4/5/2023 at 4:46 PM, nandoninny said:

i did, thanks!  love it but i'm not really into 6" figures.  got a few but prefer minimates.

thanks though!  i did get the simpsons matt groening and stan lee figures.  was lucky enough to get the matt one signed but missed out on stan.  

FWIW the Hama figure is 3 3/4 (actually 4" as most modern 3 3/4 actually are) and not 6".