UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

G.I. Joe Minimates!

On 1/2/2022 at 6:54 PM, DSTZach said:

It's not inexplicable, it's perfectly explicable. Costs are rising. $7.50 per Mate is the current price in a blistered 4-pack. The price per Mate in the upcoming six-pack will be about $8. $10 per Mate is the price of a pretty Deluxe set, but I guess we'll see how it does. Sorry people are not happy. 

so you've said before that the "expensive cardboard" of the upcoming (maybe?) Gi joe set is NOT responsible for the price increase of the set, yet you state here that the going rate for a mate in a blister is $7.50 (and those usually have accessories) seems to me the cardboard of the joe set is costing us $10 seems pretty "expensive" to me

I think this as another(the final?) nail in the Minimate coffin, i really dont see retailers carrying mates that they need to sell at $10 each

Edited by Mattallica

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not that the NBX post in any way belongs here, but I believe the official NBX style guide has changed since the last MM set. 

I think everyone is a little worked up, using epithets and whatnot, when DST is just trying to continue a brand that is undergoing a bit of a transition. I expect even more blowback on Jan. 21, and a big WTF in February. 

7 hours ago, MisterPL said:

With even the lowest shipping rate ($13 US) it still works out to over $10 per figure.

HOWEVER, if I could order it and have it added to an order shipped to my LCS for free, I might be interested. That could generate foot traffic to retailers and demonstrate demand for the Minimates™ brand.

There is actually a way to do that! Go to your local retailer and ask if you can order it. If they already are,  reserve one. Setting up a "ship to store" system is a big job,  especially since each store is a completely different company 

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I knew I should have pre-ordered when the price was cheaper! I'm sure they would have just canceled it anyway, like a few years ago when BossFight accidentally let me order a bunch of stuff at "retailer discount prices" and then prompted cancelled hundreds of dollars of merch because I was just a normal guy. ?

I expect even more blowback on Jan. 21, and a big WTF in February. 

I shudder to think what these announcements might be.

Edited by SCW

16 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I appreciate this line-of-sight, so I can be sure to save up enough righteous indignation to build to an appropriate crescendo in February (I don't want to blow my wad in January).

Will this blowback be primarily indebted to price, character selection, or a mix of both?

9 minutes ago, SCW said:

I shudder to think what these announcements might be.

New or rebooted licenses, I expect. Maybe something else from Hasbro's portfolio (Magic: The Gathering, Micronauts, Dungeons & Dragons) or another licensor (ViacomCBS Consumer Products).

2 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

New or rebooted licenses, I expect. Maybe something else from Hasbro's portfolio (Magic: The Gathering, Micronauts, Dungeons & Dragons) or another licensor (ViacomCBS Consumer Products).

I assume Minimates will now be BAF with each piece packed into a Deluxe Gallery Diorama Statue and only available on DST's new streaming platform DST+Max but that's just baseless speculation.

7 hours ago, MisterPL said:

It's clearly a My Little Pony announcement. That would be a big WTF curve ball and hilarious.

On 1/2/2022 at 9:54 PM, DSTZach said:

It's not inexplicable, it's perfectly explicable. Costs are rising. $7.50 per Mate is the current price in a blistered 4-pack. The price per Mate in the upcoming six-pack will be about $8. $10 per Mate is the price of a pretty Deluxe set, but I guess we'll see how it does. Sorry people are not happy. 

I'm very happy! I Love the G.I.Joe stuff, and will buy all of it. Two of my real world buddies have also bought the 4-pack, and plan on collecting the line. I think this is big for minimates, price change doesn't bother me, especially since its been my #1 franchise that i never ever expected to happen. Close to 20 years of making different Joe/Cobra customs, it feels so awesome to have an official SE and CC at my desk. 

On 1/4/2022 at 12:35 AM, DSTZach said:

Hmmm, look forward to seeing what this means

On 1/4/2022 at 4:39 PM, elhonez said:

I appreciate this line-of-sight, so I can be sure to save up enough righteous indignation to build to an appropriate crescendo in February (I don't want to blow my wad in January).

Will this blowback be primarily indebted to price, character selection, or a mix of both?

First one is probably price, second is license. It's a great license, but not an expected one. 

Edited by DSTZach

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

It's a great license, but not an expected one. 

With the recent addition of a Hasbro item with G.I. Joe........oh snap.......dare I dream......are we getting Jem & The Holograms minimates?   Lol

Although on a more serious note, kinda hoping it will be license for The Witcher be it game, books or Netflix based.

Edited by HellfireSamurai

3 hours ago, HellfireSamurai said:

With the recent addition of a Hasbro item with G.I. Joe........oh snap.......dare I dream......are we getting Jem & The Holograms minimates?   Lol

Although on a more serious note, kinda hoping it will be license for The Witcher be it game, books or Netflix based.

DST's press release about the Hasbro license did state Jem was on that list. I'd say....maybe.

1) The Fantastic Four Wave 82 6 character boxset (7 if you count HERBIE, provided he didn’t get scrapped) will be solicited with a $50 - $55 MSRP price tag and will most likely be the first Marvel wave since 15 that doesn’t make it to production.

2) Knowing DST’s luck with licenses, it will be The Matrix Resurrections.  

Edited by youbastards

2 hours ago, youbastards said:

2) Knowing DST’s luck with licenses, it will be The Matrix Resurrections

Well while not a biggie to myself; if that was the license & they did make it to market then at least all the people that wanted John Wick would be able to finally have him with minor part swapping

Also @Smashmaster12 , while it is off-topic; everytime I see the banner at the bottom of your posts I always wonder "do they not know we now have all those characters as mates or do they still need them to check them off that banner?"

Edited by HellfireSamurai

3 hours ago, youbastards said:

1) The Fantastic Four Wave 82 6 character boxset (7 if you count HERBIE, provided he didn’t get scrapped) will be solicited with a $50 - $55 MSRP price tag and will most likely be the first Marvel wave since 15 that doesn’t make it to production.

I’d actually pay that for a cohesive complete Fantastic Four team with the accessories shown in the art  

not a whole lot of other characters I’d pay that for. 
But I genuinely would for that wave. 

15 hours ago, DSTZach said:

First one is probably price, second is license. It's a great license, but not an expected one. 

Since the dates are apart... Does this mean late Jan we're just going to see another random price hike?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but if the second is a WTF license, but the first is price, it seems like the price is unrelated to the item.

I mean who says "We have a new license, we can't tell you what it is, but expect to pay this much for it when we announce it", ya know?

Zach stated the SDCC exclusive announcement got bumped from Dec so the Jan announcement is probably them. They will be in fancier packaging so that will result in higher prices.

As for the license announcement who knows there’s so much stuff out there. Just hoping it’s something good.

8 hours ago, youbastards said:

1. It'll have 7 characters, counting HERBIE, plus some great new parts for Reed. Price will be $50. Less than the GI Joe figures on cards, but absolutely the lowest price we can go without sacrificing tampo, which was actually discussed and dismissed. We have created some really nice packaging for it -- not related to the price.

2. Nope, it's a TV license. Show is on the air, not going away.

1 hour ago, SCW said:

Since the dates are apart... Does this mean late Jan we're just going to see another random price hike?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but if the second is a WTF license, but the first is price, it seems like the price is unrelated to the item.

I mean who says "We have a new license, we can't tell you what it is, but expect to pay this much for it when we announce it", ya know?

I assume everyone here (except Trekker) will balk at the new six-pack price later this month. But there was no cheaper way to do it without sacrificing product.

I don't know what prices will be on 4-packs going forward, but the new license will be four-packs, I believe. Hopefully it will be close to existing pricing.

And again, none of this is random.

Edited by DSTZach

30 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

1. It'll have 7 characters, counting HERBIE, plus some great new parts for Reed. Price will be $50. Less than the GI Joe figures on cards...

but TWICE the price of the most recent (marvel 81) six figure set, and that had two phoenix pieces which should equal the herbie and reed pieces, Wow thats crazy!

2 minutes ago, Mattallica said:

but TWICE the price of the most recent (marvel 81) six figure set, and that had two phoenix pieces which should equal the herbie and reed pieces, Wow thats crazy!

To be fair, the Phoenix pieces were already tooled, unlike these new Reed pieces that will light up, vibrate, and do your taxes!

37 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

60 Minutes. I'm finally getting that Harry Reasoner Minimate that's made my collection incomplete.

(Notice how I didn't mention Star Trek first? That's how hopeless it seems.)

2 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Do TV licenses include stuff that is exlusively on streaming services or just standard television?

If it is the later; then my new guess is The Simpsons. Pretty sure that show is gonna still be playing when the sun engulfs the planet as a red dwarf.