UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

G.I. Joe Minimates!

7 hours ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

Don't forget Firefly in your list. He is one of my favorite Cobra members. Also will any of these figures include backpacks like a lot of the original 3 3/4 line had?

He's a good one! We'll see!

13 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

How obscure or unlikely-to-be made are Road Pig, Thrasher, and Wil Bill? I'm not familiar with the characters, but the first two would make great Fallout/Mad Max wastelanders, and Bill looks like he'd be a headswap away from Robert Duvall's character in Apocalypse Now.

Two of those are vehicle drivers, so I'd say less likely than characters not inextricably linked to vehicles.  Vehicles are a long shot unless this line REALLY takes off. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i second Firefly.  my favorite joe figure of all time (followed by duke and hit n run for some reason).

i remember meeting a hasbro rep and he was all proud to show me the new 12" firefly that came in shorts for some reason.........i think he saw the dissappointment in my face (this was around 2001 at sdcc).

https://www.yojoe.com/12inch/02/firefly.shtml

10 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Two of those are vehicle drivers, so I'd say less likely than characters not inextricably linked to vehicles.  Vehicles are a long shot unless this line REALLY takes off. 

That's fair enough, I hadn't realised they were only drivers.  It'd still be cool to see Road Pig, although I imagine other Dreadnoks would come first.

• 2 weeks later...

so I think I mixed up what this line is, so just to be clear:

We are getting: 

two box sets. 

and then a series that is the same figures of those box sets but on their own individual/retro-inspired cards. Is that correct?

3 hours ago, undeadpool said:

so I think I mixed up what this line is, so just to be clear:

We are getting: 

two box sets. 

and then a series that is the same figures of those box sets but on their own individual/retro-inspired cards. Is that correct?

Here's my interpretation of what the line is ....

Two box sets - one for the good guys, and one for the bad guys. Within each box/package, there will be four individually carded minimates ...

The FCBD box set is a stand-alone set. Currently, we don't have a plan for another set like it. 

Series 1 is four Joes on cards, in a footlocker. 2 redecos, 2 new figures

Series 2 is four Cobras on cards, in something. 2 redecos, 2 new figures

SDCC is something completely different. (Cue Monty Python music.)

There is not currently a Duke/Roadblock/Destro/Baroness set planned, they are only in Series 1 and 2. That may change in the future, but they would definitely look different somehow. 

Well, Series 1 are up on BBTS for $40 for the carded set of 4 in a cardboard box.

I know prices/logistics/etc are going up, but at $10 per Minimate, I think I’m officially out of the Joe game.  It doesn’t help that they are bare-bones too.  No helmets, backpacks, and Snake Eyes doesn’t even come with Timber.

I love the license, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and $10 a pop is over my line.  The single carded figures should have been limited convention exclusives, with standard box sets being the primary form of release for people who don’t want to pay extra for packaging.

Good luck, DST.

Edited by youbastards

I love Minimates and was prepared to go all-in on Joe despite not being a fan. The cards are awesome but I can't justify paying that much more for what amounts to packaging.

I'm guessing the license isn't cheap so I understand but this is actually pushing me back toward collecting Star Wars.

Seems to be BBTS's usual markup. $35 on EE. Even then, that's still a bit much for a 4-pack. I think I remember Zach talking about Minimates being a low profit margin product, but these feel really empty for that price. I guess the packaging is supposed to feel deluxe. It's super neat in concept, but I can't help but feel underwhelmed

Also, DST *really* needs to get better prototypes when they solicit Minimates. They always look so much rougher than the final product, and I think people seeing those mock-ups makes them think the final product looks like that.

hmmmm.....as cool as that packaging is, i'm hoping this goes back to something less wasteful/cheaper.

cool packaging like this should be reserved for special releases.

it does look awesome though and i'm still excited as heck about this line!

https://toynewsi.com/168-41246

Edited by nandoninny

I preordered it from Luke. Hopefully after wave 2 they move away from the specialty packaging to get the cost down a little bit. Don’t get me wrong I love the look but since I will be opening mine I would rather save a few dollars in the long run.

If we are stuck at $10 per mate regardless of the packaging then I say keep this look. 

Not sure exactly how the footlocker will open and close, but it may end up being closeable. 

That said, please do not believe that this price increase comes entirely from the packaging. Product costs are rising across the board, and the days of a $5 Minimate are pretty much over. Hopefully some of you will hang on, but I guess we'll see how this set does. 

On 1/12/2018 at 1:22 PM, buttheadsmate said:

I have a hankering for some single packs , I should however stress that these should only be used for some 'special' Minimates . I could define which 'mates I would consider 'special' & I'm pretty sure other members would have their own opinion of what they consider to be special .  Luke's current customs could be considered as a foray into a hitherto untapped 'single' minimate market & I genuinely wet myself if he decided to package future offerings .

'Shopko' singles were  IMHO magnificent  ( see MMDB,Hail Ivan ) .............. now I'm a packaging completist but even a die-hard opener surely sees the beauty of these things ? 

..............also I'm told that a singly packaged 'mate was available at a recent convention ?:devil:

Oh yeah ......vinimates are singly packed.

I am therefore generally in favour of this new promotion & it seems to be aimed at the completists amongst us . 

I have a few reservations & the main one would be that these may ultimately become more & more exclusive & that's where the bubble may burst.

The inevitable DST super-excluding-exclusives at conventions will exacerbate this . 

Edited by buttheadsmate

17 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

I am therefore generally in favour of this new promotion & it seems to be aimed at the completists amongst us . 

I have a few reservations & the main one would be that these may ultimately become more & more exclusive & that's where the bubble may burst.

The inevitable DST super-excluding-exclusives at conventions will exacerbate this . 

Isn't your whole collection already in crates? Same same for you.  ?

13 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

I am not sure why these would become more exclusive. While we have an exclusive planned for SDCC 2022, it will be orderable by everyone, like most Diamond Comics shared exclusives, so I do not anticipate it being hard to find. Unless orders come in REAL low, and that affects how many we make. But that's the case with anything we make.

I will say this: If Minimates are more expensive due to increased costs, then based on standard percent mark-ups for wholesale and retail, they will be more profitable for distributors AND retailers. (Not price gouging, just simple math.) Which means they may actually become MORE widely available. At the old MM price, two-packs were impulse items, and that is not always in everyone's business model.