G.I. Joe Minimates!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Zach, any pics of the finished mates yet or do we have to wait until they are solicited at the end of the month to see them? Also how well did the FCBD set sell? Was it better than expected? This line has me completely invested and I plan on getting every G.I. Joe minimate that is released.

Any idea when we will be getting any Cobra soldiers like Cobra Troopers, Cobra Infantry, Vipers, Red Ninjas, B.A.T.S., Crimson Guard, etc? In other words are you planning on making Cobra's rogues gallery first or will you be mixing troopers in here and there with the waves?

I can chime in on the sales question - this set sold out at the retailer level before the factory even produced it. The last time that happened with a non-SDCC exclusive solicited through Diamond was the Spider-Man Friends and Foes 4-pack from 2010. It might be related to the quantities that Diamond chooses to produce certain sets at, but I would say it is a good indication of this line's popularity. 

If it was a situation like our Multiple Man sets, where since Diamond was already making an army builder, they were able to let us order a lower quantity (500) of an exclusive set, provided that it was produced at the same time as another release, then yes we definitely would. However if we had to meet their usual order requirements for an exclusive set (3000) we would have to pass, as I am not confident we could sell that many sets. 

1 hour ago, luke314pi said:

If it was a situation like our Multiple Man sets, where since Diamond was already making an army builder, they were able to let us order a lower quantity (500) of an exclusive set, provided that it was produced at the same time as another release, then yes we definitely would.

Luke, I know I'm not alone when I say your candor is appreciated. Thank you. ??

(And this is why I've been advocating the addition of army-builders in the 4-packs.)

4 hours ago, luke314pi said:

If it was a situation like our Multiple Man sets, where since Diamond was already making an army builder, they were able to let us order a lower quantity (500) of an exclusive set, provided that it was produced at the same time as another release, then yes we definitely would. However if we had to meet their usual order requirements for an exclusive set (3000) we would have to pass, as I am not confident we could sell that many sets. 

I think you could sell out an army builder pack of Cobra troops. 3000 wouldn't be that hard for this line. G.I. Joe collectors buy lots of Cobra Troopers. Some people buy 10 or more of them for their collections. A 2-pack with a Cobra Trooper and a Cobra Officer would be great. Just change the Cobra insignia from red on the trooper to silver on the officer and you would be set. Maybe also different weapons for each one too.

I collect the G.I. Joe Classified line. I have multiples of Cobra Infantry, Cobra Troopers, Vipers, and Red Ninjas. I will be buying numerous B.A.T.s and Alley Vipers too when they come out. You can't display Cobra Commander without having an army around him. I'm just saying that people love to army build Cobra troopers and I think you could easily sell 3000. 500 would sell out quickly.

6 hours ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

I think you could sell out an army builder pack of Cobra troops. 3000 wouldn't be that hard for this line. G.I. Joe collectors buy lots of Cobra Troopers. Some people buy 10 or more of them for their collections. A 2-pack with a Cobra Trooper and a Cobra Officer would be great. Just change the Cobra insignia from red on the trooper to silver on the officer and you would be set. Maybe also different weapons for each one too.

I collect the G.I. Joe Classified line. I have multiples of Cobra Infantry, Cobra Troopers, Vipers, and Red Ninjas. I will be buying numerous B.A.T.s and Alley Vipers too when they come out. You can't display Cobra Commander without having an army around him. I'm just saying that people love to army build Cobra troopers and I think you could easily sell 3000. 500 would sell out quickly.

I agree with this as well, GI Joe collectors love the army builders just as much as the regular cast of characters. As cool as the multiple man -pack was, I think a two/four pack of cobra troops would blow by those numbers.... of course i have nothing on the line by saying this, lol.

16 hours ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

Hey Zach, any pics of the finished mates yet or do we have to wait until they are solicited at the end of the month to see them? Also how well did the FCBD set sell? Was it better than expected? This line has me completely invested and I plan on getting every G.I. Joe minimate that is released.

I'll wait until end of the month to share the final pics,  including packaging, but we did show Duke and Roadblock at NYCC:

GIJoe-Minimates-Wave-2__scaled_800.jpg

16 hours ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

Any idea when we will be getting any Cobra soldiers like Cobra Troopers, Cobra Infantry, Vipers, Red Ninjas, B.A.T.S., Crimson Guard, etc? In other words are you planning on making Cobra's rogues gallery first or will you be mixing troopers in here and there with the waves?

I am not quite sure. We may see some as early as SDCC, but plans are still up in the air. I know the product managers are huge Joe fans, so I'm sure they'll try to group the figures in ways that benefit collectors -- unless there is an overall theme that requires otherwise.

I hope people like the packaging for Series 1. It is definitely special.

8 hours ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

A 2-pack with a Cobra Trooper and a Cobra Officer would be great. Just change the Cobra insignia from red on the trooper to silver on the officer and you would be set.

I know next to nothing about GI Joe so I'm only guessing that, even in the Joe-verse, troops outnumber officers. Since the 2-pack seems to be a thing of the past, might a 4- or 6-pack with one or two officers respectively do the trick? (And a big "Yo Joe!" to oodles of weapons and accessories!)

4 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

I know next to nothing about GI Joe so I'm only guessing that, even in the Joe-verse, troops outnumber officers. Since the 2-pack seems to be a thing of the past, might a 4- or 6-pack with one or two officers respectively do the trick? (And a big "Yo Joe!" to oodles of weapons and accessories!)

I think a solid four-or six-pack of just one kind of trooper is unlikely, but I'd love to see a mixed set. I'll push for some kind of Trooper (with alt chest block), Viper, Televiper. Crimson Guard set and we'll see what happens. :) Granted, it might not happen until after another round of Cobra top brass (Bludd, Tomax, Xamot, Zartan, etc.), but hopefully it goes for a long, long time. 

I am in definitely in for as long as the line lasts. I think this is a great license for minimates and I can definitely see myself doing some army building if given the chance. Would love to see some vehicles like the Hiss Tank, Trouble Bubble, HAVOC etc. but I am guessing those have a very slim chance of happening.

7 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I think a solid four-or six-pack of just one kind of trooper is unlikely, but I'd love to see a mixed set. I'll push for some kind of Trooper (with alt chest block), Viper, Televiper. Crimson Guard set and we'll see what happens. :) Granted, it might not happen until after another round of Cobra top brass (Bludd, Tomax, Xamot, Zartan, etc.), but hopefully it goes for a long, long time. 

Don't forget Firefly in your list. He is one of my favorite Cobra members. Also will any of these figures include backpacks like a lot of the original 3 3/4 line had?

6 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I have no idea what that means but if it's anything like a Stormtrooper/Snowtrooper/Sandtrooper/Scout Trooper assortment following a Vader/Tarkin/Emperor/Admiral Piett, I'm all for it! ?