UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

G.I. Joe Minimates!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually Minifiend that’s exactly what happened. I remember being there for the first Yay Shot but I cannot remember what it was of or who requested them but they misspelled “tray shot” and it just… felt right. 
I feel like I should pin it on @hellpop regardless of who actually started it though. Him or @NerdyTrev

On 8/29/2021 at 2:48 AM, buttheadsmate said:

"Never say never" would be the saying (yaying?) that has never made sense . 

:thumbsup:

Never say "Never say never" has never made sense.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:14 PM, buttheadsmate said:

I recall one particular member who ,anal about spelling, became extremely frustrated as members continually mispelt :thumbsup: the name of the DC villain Darkside (sic) .

Who knew ? :blush:

I recall a particular member who seemed constantly amused by the constant misspelling of a certain X-(wo)Man's name, which implied rosy cheeks rather than a tendency to go her own way. :)

I believe said member also used this to his advantage picking her up cheaply on eBay by being the only bidder on misspelled auction names.

Bidding on misspelled auction names ?   Sounds like a dastardly chap .

I've also heard that the same scoundrel picked up on the fact that TRU Marvel Wave 7 brought with it a notable character with a very notable space between the word 'Buster' & 'Hulk' ....big red armoured guy . Hulkbuster would almost always go (on ebay) for more $$ than Hulk Buster :yes:  .....quite simply because the ebay search engine failed to pick up the nuance . Who knew ? 

There has (according to Ivan & DST packaging) been just the one Hulk Buster Minimate although several Hulkbusters. 

-buster hulksmate 

BTW My recent passion has been tracking down old dalek toys . You'd think that a D-A-L-E-K toy  would be easy enough to list on ebay ....not so...there are always dozens of listings on UK ebay for DARLEKS....they often sell cheaply . 

Edited by buttheadsmate

Between discovering the etymology of the 'yay shot' and learning these wonderful eBay search tips this thread is the most fun I've had with typos in a very long time indeed, jolly good stuff. Not only entertainment but edutainment :P 

glad to hear there's at least one fellow Doctor Who fan here buttheadsmate, and a treat to hear the mangled misspellings that've led you to Dalek discoveries; on a similar note to the Hulk Buster/Hulkbuster spacing, I've found some buried treasures adding a space between Cyber and Men when looking for Cybermen on AusBay.

Smashing to hear that those 'Darlek' listings go for a song on eBay UK...I can't help but be reminded of Sidney Newman mispronouncing the omnicidal pepper pots as "Doorlocks" in that docudrama. Happy Kaled hunting BHM; I hope some some Dalek, or Darlek, rolykins glide your way

Fantastic choice of interests SC , palz & kubricks being passions of mine.

Re: Stanley K. The Shining features in bizarre stuff I collect ,I recently purchased an Adler typewriter nigh on identical to Jack's & nothing would give me more pleasure than to see some Stanley Kubrick ....er...Minimates .....awesome licence IMHO . Imagine having several identical Spartacus Minimates ( much like the existing Star Trek Minimate line:sarcasm-1:) .....all declaring that they are Spartacus ?!  It could even be a scene from Toy Story 5 *

I am not an avid fan of Dr.Who despite my love of daleks . This in't as odd as it may seem especially when you read up about the daleks' creator Terry Nation . 

Bearing in mind I am on vacation ,having little to do , I have just checked out ebay listings for 'Docter Who' .....sure enough there are a few there :rolleyes: Sadly Dr.Hugh items are thin on the ground although Dr.Wu  (Jurassic Park ) is there.

These GI Joe 'mates best turn up soon otherwise Hugh knows WTF we'll be talking about?

* Check out "Shining references buried in Pixar films" 

They posted two pics on Facebook. The  packaging looks great. I love that they include file cards. My only tiny gripe is that they stuck with the grey strap on Storm Shadow when it should be black. Easy enough fix though. Zach can you show us tray shots now that the other pics have been released?

240947779_10162493438234572_4711473494307012054_n.jpg

241234702_10162493438149572_2314486323274471048_n.jpg

On 9/4/2021 at 5:56 PM, buttheadsmate said:

Fantastic choice of interests SC , palz & kubricks being passions of mine.

Re: Stanley K. The Shining features in bizarre stuff I collect ,I recently purchased an Adler typewriter nigh on identical to Jack's & nothing would give me more pleasure than to see some Stanley Kubrick ....er...Minimates .....awesome licence IMHO . Imagine having several identical Spartacus Minimates ( much like the existing Star Trek Minimate line:sarcasm-1:) .....all declaring that they are Spartacus ?!  It could even be a scene from Toy Story 5 *

I am not an avid fan of Dr.Who despite my love of daleks . This in't as odd as it may seem especially when you read up about the daleks' creator Terry Nation . 

Bearing in mind I am on vacation ,having little to do , I have just checked out ebay listings for 'Docter Who' .....sure enough there are a few there :rolleyes: Sadly Dr.Hugh items are thin on the ground although Dr.Wu  (Jurassic Park ) is there.

These GI Joe 'mates best turn up soon otherwise Hugh knows WTF we'll be talking about?

* Check out "Shining references buried in Pixar films" 

Cheers BHM, always good to see interests in common. I laughed at your Spartacus/Star Trek comparison there, very apt haha and I'm thrilled to hear about the Adler, though I have to wonder if it's in grey-blue or light tan? Either way, all work and no play... :P Excited to potentially hear your thoughts on the Joe mates packaging, I noticed in the (block-figure) Kubrick thread it seems like you're no stranger to graphic design and layout :) 

disclaimer It's not that I'm not looking forward to these it's just that I know little about GI Joe .

That said I am intrigued by the packaging .

Over the years (I believe) DST has been restricted by licensors in the way that Minimates are 'shown' in their packaging....it still seems incredible to me that (for example) Marvel Minimates have yet to be 'shown' in a format as we are seeing with GI Joe. 

The art on the Joe package may work well for 'us' Minimate fans but ....& I might be being obtuse......does it work well for first time buyers ?  Artwork (however good) does not beat seeing the toys in their yays (sic).

On the other hand maybe the flap cover may well be the new answer to an old licensing restriction ? 

6 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

disclaimer It's not that I'm not looking forward to these it's just that I know little about GI Joe .

That said I am intrigued by the packaging .

Over the years (I believe) DST has been restricted by licensors in the way that Minimates are 'shown' in their packaging....it still seems incredible to me that (for example) Marvel Minimates have yet to be 'shown' in a format as we are seeing with GI Joe. 

The art on the Joe package may work well for 'us' Minimate fans but ....& I might be being obtuse......does it work well for first time buyers ?  Artwork (however good) does not beat seeing the toys in their yays (sic).

On the other hand maybe the flap cover may well be the new answer to an old licensing restriction ? 

Which restriction? 

6 hours ago, youbastards said:

They can only show a percentage of the Marvel figure in the package, hence the window style packaging, where most other Minimates lines were full bubbles.

Explained perfectly :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, youbastards said:

......the glued on blister bubbles have completely separated from the card due to the weak/little amount of glue used at the factory.  

Probably .....although I think it is more likely that the adhesive used was incompatible with the surface of the card which had  been 'varnished '. The card part of the packaging is undoubtedly UV varnished which IMVHO ( 30 years a printer) can create problems if a non-compatible adhesive is used . In my day ( & it is a mere rumour that I drank with Gutenburg & Heidelberg) we would not varnish the areas on the card that would  (ultimately) take the adhesive , we would thereby reduce incompatibility between surface of the printed sheet & the adhesive between the blister.  

-boringheadsmate

I ,generally, have nothing but praise for the printing & packaging of Minimates but my observation (above) was a very basic mistake which went on for far too long & became ridiculous.