G.I. Joe Minimates!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

I hope Snake Eyes comes with the sword in the pic above and not the normal generic sword that has been around forever now. Also Zach will we be seeing another 4 pack or will they be switching to just 2-packs after this first 4-pack is released? 

Yes, the sword in the picture. And we'll see!

11 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I see that there is GI Joe Retro range , are the vehicles, Minimate compatible ?

The figures in that line are 3.75 inches tall so the vehicles would be a bit too big. There was  G.I. Joe Kreo line a few years back that had playsets and vehicles. Im not sure how close they were in scale to minimates, but they gotta be close.  I am pretty sure Nervous Rex used to collect them and may know if they are minimate compatible. 

7 hours ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

The figures in that line are 3.75 inches tall so the vehicles would be a bit too big. There was  G.I. Joe Kreo line a few years back that had playsets and vehicles. Im not sure how close they were in scale to minimates, but they gotta be close.  I am pretty sure Nervous Rex used to collect them and may know if they are minimate compatible. 

i just packed mine away (we're moving) but KREO was closer to lego in scale so it could work but not perfectly.  i bought the joe ones for use w/ expendables and minimates in general.  i think its close enough for a cool display

It took a few days for my Diamond rep to get official confirmation, but he just got back to me, and this box set will not be allocated - production numbers have not been set yet, and retailers can preorder as many as they want for the next 30 days or so. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was hoping to see if there was any news about the next wave of GI Joe MiniMates.

I am working on a few simple customs to act as place holders. Duke, Flint, Baroness, Destro.  I am going to tinker with a Lady Jaye and Breaker or Rock 'n Roll.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn it. I go without checking the site for some time & I come back to this news. Needless to say I have now sent my money to Luke's store for 3 sets. 

Easiest army builder for this would be the Red Ninjas since all they gotta due is just re-use the tampos from the Hand Ninjas we got already. If we don't Red Ninjas the I gotta scrounge me up some Hand Ninjas.

Would anyone be LESS interested in GI Joe Minimates if DST showed us designs for the next two assortments?

Back in my day, I'd pick up a cool toy at retail and flip it over to see what else was in the line. Sometimes they'd show stuff that was "COMING SOON!" I don't recall ever seeing what might come next and deciding, "Oh, they're going to offer even more cool toys for this line? No, thanks!"

On 4/19/2021 at 6:22 PM, MisterPL said:

Would anyone be LESS interested in GI Joe Minimates if DST showed us designs for the next two assortments?

Back in my day, I'd pick up a cool toy at retail and flip it over to see what else was in the line. Sometimes they'd show stuff that was "COMING SOON!" I don't recall ever seeing what might come next and deciding, "Oh, they're going to offer even more cool toys for this line? No, thanks!"

i think its a lose/lose situation -- either they announce stuff way in advance and people get upset at waiting so long or they wait and people get upset they're not announcing anything.  it could be the second series isn't decided yet or things are still in development.

my thought is just give us a tease of what's coming and that should be enough to get folks excited.  they've kinda done a little of that but nothing in an official capacity.    but i am in the same boat as you.....i'm dying to see what else they've got coming up!!

8 hours ago, nandoninny said:

i think its a lose/lose situation -- either they announce stuff way in advance and people get upset at waiting so long or they wait and people get upset they're not announcing anything.  it could be the second series isn't decided yet or things are still in development.

my thought is just give us a tease of what's coming and that should be enough to get folks excited.  they've kinda done a little of that but nothing in an official capacity.    but i am in the same boat as you.....i'm dying to see what else they've got coming up!!

When it's this early in the line, I don't see how they could lose by showing concept art for the next couple releases, even if those series aren't set in stone. Just show the art without assigning them series.

I'd just like to see something to build consumer confidence, to get collectors off the fence because the manufacturer doesn't seem committed to delivering more than four of the big players in a line brimming with popular characters. If they can launch Marvel that way, why not GI Joe?

Imagine launching a line of Star Wars figures with just Boba Fett and Darth Maul.

Oh, wait... ?

What's wrong with launching a toy line with the big guns? Many a toy line has started with a mix of A- and B-list and never gotten to the other A's.

I'm pretty sure the promo art teased two more Joe characters. And two more A-list Cobras are a lock.

Heh ain’t that just the way [stares wistfully at the spot on my Godzilla shelf where Minimate King Ghidorah should be]

but really though this is a great lineup. I am guessing people want to see the kind of confidence that makes you think we won’t be missing King Ghidorah again. 

On 4/25/2021 at 6:42 AM, buttheadsmate said:

Imagine being offered an X-men First Appearance box set at LCSs without Angel & then finding its being offered as the variant in a contemporary wave.

Imagine being offered a Yeoman Rand Minimate five years before Captain Janeway.

On 4/25/2021 at 12:39 AM, DSTZach said:

What's wrong with launching a toy line with the big guns? Many a toy line has started with a mix of A- and B-list and never gotten to the other A's.

I'm pretty sure the promo art teased two more Joe characters. And two more A-list Cobras are a lock.

I have no problem launching a line with big guns but when your line is made up of an arsenal of big guns, it doesn't hurt to build some consumer confidence by teasing more than half a dozen in a promo piece.

GI-Joe-Box-Set-Comic-Cover-v1.jpg

Starting a box set with some big characters is good, but I think what most people are looking for is confidence in the brand instead of a "wait and see" approach to Minimates. I think some folk would be more likely to pre-order one set knowing that it'll be a full range instead of a one-off set. Even just a few sneak peaks here and there at an upcoming figure would be cool. Hasbro does that from time to time, releasing a pic of a figure that's part of an upcoming wave and then later revealing what the full wave is.

I just pray that they give us a 2-pack of Cobra troopers (Cobra Infantry and a Cobra Viper). A second pack could Be Crimson Guard and a B.A.T. G.I. Joe collectors army build them and they will sell like crazy. Just look at the prices on Ebay for the G.I. Joe Classified Cobra Viper and Cobra Trooper. I have seen pics of people having 10 or more of them in their collection and they extremely hard to find at retail. Maybe Luke could get an exclusive 2 pack of Cobra troop builders.