G.I. Joe Minimates!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, WookieFodder said:

Cobra Commander looks especially pretty. Nice helmet bro!

what about Sgt Slaugter and Refrigerator Perry? Are they off limits?

Honestly not sure. Would probably require additional licensing, and the margins are pretty slim on these. 

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Does this mean if the line continues we are looking at it probably being a Walgreens exclusive line? While I will take Joe minimates any way I can get them and be thankful for it I was really, really hoping they would be nice and easy preorders from Luke’s. 

If this set does well, it will continue to be offered at specialty, no reason to take it away. But if they do well at Walgreens, they will continue to be offered there, as well, and there will likely be exclusives. 

2 hours ago, Smashmaster12 said:

Netting Hasbro as a distributor for these would be huge, and I think they could really help push the line into a greater spotlight. Would getting these up on Hasbro Pulse be an option? Obviously I got mine from Luke but I think there’s a lot of Joe fans who would probably pick these up with the rest of their Pulse orders. 

I do not think that is an option. 

1 hour ago, Chooch said:

Sounds good.  Thanks for your part in making this happen.

I had zero to do with it, but I will pass it along!

While these look great, just from the solicitation picture, Cobra Commander is the only one that is perfect.

Storm Shadow’s gear needs to be black.

If you have to, just reuse the Walking Dead crossbow tooling for Scarlett and the Sin City Big Fat Kill Uzi or Pulp Fiction Gimp boxset MAC-10 for Snake-Eyes.

the Sin City boxset is $10 on Amazon if anyone wants to score an Uzi before this is released.

Edited by youbastards

These are incredible.  Like, I knew they would be cool, but they somehow exceeded my expectations.  I can't wait to see this set explode and become a whole new line of amazing Joes.  Fingers crossed for the big army builder exclusive four set and the dreadnocks.

2021 is looking up!

49 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

If this set does well, it will continue to be offered at specialty, no reason to take it away. 

Solicit the next set before this one is released, show consumers you have confidence in the line and they will buy in.  The wait and see approach with months of no new product is hurting Minimates as a brand.  Try to have new product in consumers hands every 2-3 months to keep people interested.  By the time this set is released, there should be 1-2 other sets available to preorder.

1 hour ago, youbastards said:

Solicit the next set before this one is released, show consumers you have confidence in the line and they will buy in.  The wait and see approach with months of no new product is hurting Minimates as a brand.  Try to have new product in consumers hands every 2-3 months to keep people interested.  By the time this set is released, there should be 1-2 other sets available to preorder.

i agree w/ this 100%

2 hours ago, DSTZach said:

If this set does well, it will continue to be offered at specialty, no reason to take it away. But if they do well at Walgreens, they will continue to be offered there, as well, and there will likely be exclusives. 

Okay good and also thanks for answering. I thought maybe the free comic book day was a loop hole that let you sell them there. So if they sell well we may end up with two outlets for Joe mates; comic shops and Walgreens. When you say that there likely will be exclusives would that be entire waves or maybe just one two pack in a wave, or it’s so far in the future that it has  not discussed yet.

Also I really hope you make the army builders sets one that can be preordered.

1 hour ago, youbastards said:

I also want to echo this. I’m not even a real ‘Joe fan, but if you give me reason to look forward to more sets, I will preorder them all

3 hours ago, youbastards said:

Agreed.

Remember when Marvel Minimates were announced with that lone 4-pack? ?

Fuck no.

Art Asylum went balls first. There was a promotional poster featuring two dozen character designs. 

It's sad enough that Marketing apparently has "zero to do" with bringing a franchise like this to DST. Promote the latest licensed property the way it's worked in the past. At least put an ad in IDW's comics.

Marvel Minimates were a DST line from day one, so technically DST went balls first. Although that line is either incredibly sexist (can women not also be daring?) or indicative of how big a risk it was to go so big. I would never put my balls first, in any situation.

And nope, I did not pick the license or the lineup or the outlets. Luckily the people above me have excellent taste and business sense. My job is to let people know about it and to help it get to Series 50. Although this press release was handled by the FCBD team. I'll make my push later this week.

That said, we'll see when we solicit Series 2. 

9 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Does Walgreens carry other GI Joe product? I haven't noticed.

Any additional sales are great for the Minimates brand but, as someone who's found it more and more difficult to get Marvel Minimates at Walgreens, I share Strider's preference for preorders. 

They sell the G.I. Joe Classified figures but they sell out immediately. I posted a pic and info of these on a G.I. Joe Classified group on Facebook and almost everyone that responded wants these. G.I. Joe collectors don't just buy one set either. They always buy multiple so I see these selling out and them being hard to find at Walgreens when they start showing up there.

16 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I believe any store can order them, not sure if the Free Comic Book Day aspect requires an additional purchase of comics or how you need to be connected to FCBD.

Also not sure why the image is not showing up, so...

G.I.JoeMMSeries1BoxSet.jpg

Currently I know almost nothing about GI Joe ....bear that in mind as I begin my quest to acquaint myself .

So my 'search engines' are in warp drive trying to figure out (for me) what we actually have here (above) & from what I am discovering I am becoming confused. Can someone help ?

These are based on Hasbro GI Joe figures , correct ? I am aware that there are various versions of each character but I, the  uninitiated, can't pinpoint immediately which Hasbro version each is based on ? It would seem that Scarlett & Storm Shadow are possibly based on the '25th. anniversary' figures ? Then there's Cobra Commander ?

I am amongst knowledgable people ,please bring me up to speed ....in a kindly way. Thanks.

-buzzer?headsmate

As one Of The Johnny Foreigners of this board our/my knowledge of GI Joe Can be limited. I do know back in the mists of Time GI Joe and UK's Action Man where tied together which then morphed into Action Force in the UK with the move to smaller figures. After that I really know nothing much of GI Joe outside the live action movies.

All that said the figures look great and I will be picking them up from Luke along with the Transformers ones as well.

I look at Cobra Commander and my first thought is that's a good base for someone who does customs to do Darth Vader.

BHM, IMO these designs contain a mix of the 80’s animated series, the original RAH toy line, and the 25th anniversary toy line.

Most old timers consider the original 80’s toy line looks to be the definitive, but Hasbro is intent on making unique designs for almost every new toy line.

even the recent ‘Retro’ line strays far from the original 80’s versions despite being on 80’s style cards.

the designs for scarlett and storm shadow look like the originals from the cartoon.  i hope scarlett comes w/ a smiley face too though.

Snake Eyes is the V2 and cobra commander looks like a hodge podge of various designs but the classic elements are there and i think he looks fantastic.

when i first moved to the states my earliest memories were getting the jeep, the tank, the bad guys jeep and duke and major blood and the mail away cobra commander.  

what i love about this line is that i'm currently getting rid of all of my toys except for my minimates and i've found the joes to be the hardest ones to part with.  i had a guy make me an offer for some and i turned it down b/c i just didn't want to get rid of them.  now seeing these i'm thinking of reaching back out to him to see if he is still interested (though i may still keep my tiger force figures and a few baddies for them).

Really like this new GI Joe set.  I do hope we get lots more of GI Joe minimates.  I would like to see Duke, Breaker, Wild Bill, Snow Job and the whole gang.  Also all the Cobra ranks as well, Destro, Baroness, Major Bludd, Zartan and his groupies and so forth.

I already want to make a Amalgam of DC and GI Joe as I think Snake Eyes and Batman would be a cool blending. Wonder Woman and Scarlet, Superman and Duke, and so forth.  I can't wait.