UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Transformers Minimates!

They're not production samples, no. They're prototypes. They're being shown for the first time. Rarely do we make an announcement, prior to pre-ordering even opens, with factory samples. Pre-orders open Oct. 22.

And yes, sorry, he is still respected, I just don't see him post very much any more.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got my set the other day from Luke, and MAN is this a great one. Maybe the single best Minimate box set ever? It's way up there. The care that went into each one of these is outstanding. As I said in the NYCC thread the other day, I know from talking with some of the DST folks that there's a lot of Transformers fans on TeamDST, and you can tell what a labor of love this is. I hope this sells like gangbusters, and we get many more box sets!

On 10/8/2021 at 5:59 PM, fwoosheyman said:

Got the 1st box set today and they are quite nice. Packaging is very sharp as well. I did find that Optimus looks better with Bee’s face underneath the helmet. The eyes are better proportioned and it gives him his nose ridge. 

I tried this and I agree! 

Gm5CdCF.jpg

I am so looking forward to the next wave as Soundwave is my ultimate favorite Transformer.

I am likely going to get a fourth set of the first set as I want to make some of the other jets and a Nemesis Prime. and I do feel that Bumblebee's head is better looking for Optimus Prime than but likely will not do the swap as I don't like the look of Bumblebee with any other available head.

However, I am stoked about this series and I hope they can continue for a long time to come.

I just placed my order for the second wave of Transformers Minimates.  I am really liking these and my only negative about them is the fact they can't transform into their vehicle or non-robot items they represent.  But non the less I am loving the detail given to them for what they are.  I do think Optimus Prime's face could have been better but I do like the looks of Soundwave and Blaster in the second wave and to get Grimlock and Megatron helps complete a simple line-up if we do not get any more.  But I would like to see Rachet, Jazz, Ironhide and Prowl at some point or even Arcee.

I didn’t mind the non transforming figures so much. There are plenty of transformer figures available that don’t transform. These are cooler than most (yes, I’m biased). I’m pretty excited about this series. I was meh about it when they were announced but the finished products look great! 

Hasbro is making non-transforming Transformers with the R.E.D. Series,  and Super 7 is making Transformers Reaction figures. While there are tiny transforming Transformers, I think making Minimates transform and still use the base body would be very difficult. 

I am not aware of any vehicle versions in the future,  and I am not even sure our license includes it. But Jada Toys makes a "nano" three-pack of Optimus, Bumblebee and Starscream that might make a nice companion set. 

https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-3-Pack-Die-cast-Toys-Adults/dp/B08DWWN5L1/ref=mp_s_a_1_10

Edited by DSTZach

Nemesis Prime

lL50S9T.jpg

Here is a Work in Progress, This is my take on Nemesis Prime.

I used a War Machine chest block, hip piece and legs then I painted the chest piece, helmet, arms and boots with a black nail polish and I used Starscream's head.  There are still some touch-ups I need to do but overall I am satisfied with him.

Only I could not get the windshield to be red and transparent so I left them blue.

Next, I am going to attempt to make a different colored jet out of Starscream but at a loss for what customs I can do with Bumblebee and Shockwave.

On the note of transformed versions, and indeed transforming Minimates the central body could probably never allow for that level of intricacy.... but, the whole interchangeable bits could. With a nosecone waist piece for starscream say, and then you could fold in/remove his arms and put him face-down and there's jet mode. Obviously this won't work for many vehicle modes but one's better than none...

Also, looking at the comic con pics I must ask if that blue boombox lookin accessory is soundwave in alternate mode? If so, then we've got a set with a transformed transformer in the pipeline.

Who knows, maybe it's early days and they'll pack in a minimate scale Megatron, making for two transformed transformers ? 

What is shockwave meant to turn into? It's kinda hard to get a straight answer with a quick google image search but is it at some points also a firearm? If so, that could be another transformed transformed represented...

Fill disclosure though I think it's wild to expect to make minimates into cars and cabover trucks lol unless a torso peg and like, a pack in matchbox car style chassis you can plug it into, maybe store the arms and legs in a little cardboard trailer? that'd be quite cool actually lol I'm kind of convincing myself. maybe a deluxe two pack of bits and bobs to transform say, Optimus and bumblebee/starscream into genuine lil vehicles.

Idle thoughts, to be honest I have no real stake in having minimates transform, and its not a property I've ever had much experience with outside of osmosis, but thinking about the actual mechanics of such an endeavour (making minimates transform) is a problem I often mull over in idle moments lol anyways if you've made it this far thanks for coming to my ted talk

No alt-mode Soundwave planned, only alt-mode Blaster (red boombox). Soundwave had no handle as a tape player, and was smaller, so he'd be difficult to do. 

I doubt we'd ever be allowed to make Megatron in gun mode, they don't really have him turn into that anymore. He's mostly tanks nowadays. 

Shockwave was originally a laser gun, but I think nowadays he's a spaceship?

Cheers for the clarification Zach, I very much enjoy discovering all these 'everyday object' transformers :) I think they most live up to the creepier end of the robots in disguise moniker lol as with far too many properties, I'm only becoming more and more versed in TF as a symptom of the minimates and the more 'deepcover' household item Transformers fascinate me most.

Both from an Transformers 'outsider' perspective and growing up in post-Port Arthur Australia, I find the whole Megatron/Toy gun thing to be wild, not the least of which the way the concept must upset the scale among his fellow bots in-universe and on the shelf (as I imagine all these stereos must also). I can think of no way you'd be able to, as I think some propose, transform the actual Megatron mate into a whopping big pistol lol

Just to take a little walk on the wild side of hypotheticals though, I could perhaps imagine some alternate reality where we'd all be clipping coupons and mailing (perhaps with proof of age..) in to say, mail-in heavyweights/lovable rogues Toyfare to get like, Megatron and a shockwave sized minimate hands and maybe even a little Soundwave that no one can hold... ? 

We'd mail-in those coupons with the doll-hairs and someone'd set aside time to chucking three tiny accessories in postage paid envelopes and addressing them. One can dream lol I'm not really that knowledgable about gun makes and models, but I'd imagine there's a similar enough style of pistol among guns already released for those who really want him to be wielded by whoever uses Megatron when he's being a weapon...

Anyway, thanks again for the enlightening response Zach, and please don't take this to be me pursuing the Megatron issue at all, any questions I posed are 100% hypothetical/rhetorical/delusional :P I mainly just came here to say that I'm absolutely stoked that I'll be able to pick up Blaster in both robot and boombox modes, more so now that I'll be able to accurately name him when prompted :) 

Yeah, there are replica weapon sites that make G.I. Joe sized Megatrons complete with scope and rifle stock. Not 100% sure they'd fit in Soundwave or Starscream's hand, but:

P38 Walther Automatic Pistol "Modified" BLACK Version - 1:18 Scale Weapon for 3 3/4 Inch Action Figures (marauderinc.com) 

Not sure why they don't make Soundwave or Blaster! 

The variety of Japanese toys that were combined to make Transformers is fascinating. The ones you like, the ones that turn into household objects (Cassette Man, Gun Man), were a segment of Microman (a.k.a. Micronauts), called Microchange (although they also included toy cars, like Bumblebee):

Microman Forever - New Microman Series (microforever.net)

• 2 weeks later...

If there's anyone still looking for the first box set, or looking for extras for customizing, the set is part of Dorkside Toys Black Friday sale for a great price:

https://dorksidetoys.com/collections/black-friday-2021/products/minimates-transformers-series-1-set-of-4-action-figure-pre-order

I picked up an extra set to do the Prime/Bumblebee head swap and will probably turn Starscream into either Thundercracker or Skywarp. Now I'm wishing I bought another set! Ah well.

• 2 weeks later...

The bad news about an Omicrom variant genuinely made me think that it sounded ( potentially ) like a name for a Transformer !

Sadly it is a name for a transformer. 

'Omicron' has been a DC comic villain & also a base for Hydra in the Marvel comicverse. 

Keep safe people.

Edited by buttheadsmate