UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Transformers Minimates!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These look great imo! And something I will definitely pick up! And also I can't believe no one has mentioned Star Wars as also being under the Hasbro umbrella (or maybe I missed it), but that's also something I'd seriously love to see over any other Hasbro property. Though I'm guessing it would also require some licensing involvement from Lucasfilm as well?

Edited by OvenproofBug6

1 hour ago, OvenproofBug6 said:

These look great imo! And something I will definitely pick up! And also I can't believe no one has mentioned Star Wars as also being under the Hasbro umbrella (or maybe I missed it), but that's also something I'd seriously love to see over any other Hasbro property. Though I'm guessing it would also require some licensing involvement from Lucasfilm as well?

Hasbro does not own Star Wars. It would involve a LOT of licensing from Lucasfilm, and is highly unlikely.

Zach,

Any chance this includes Vinimates for Transformers as well? As much as I love my articulated little minimates I have to admit for a display some Vinimate sized Transformers would look killer along with the Minimate sized Joes for a true GIJoe/Transformers crossover....I would definitely collect both scales. 

34 minutes ago, jettstorm said:

Zach,

Any chance this includes Vinimates for Transformers as well? As much as I love my articulated little minimates I have to admit for a display some Vinimate sized Transformers would look killer along with the Minimate sized Joes for a true GIJoe/Transformers crossover....I would definitely collect both scales. 

Never been interested in Vinimates. But if there were to be a Devastator and Omega Supreme, I'd buy them to go with these mates. This is seriously the best Minimate news in ages. Look how active the board is compared to recently.

16 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

Oh wow this is such a big deal that you woke up AdyCarter. 
That’s insane. 

Always had a soft spot for Transformers, my walls are covered in MTMTE/LL art and signed covers.

License is exciting, masses of repaint potential for DST too, from that first wave alone you've got every random Seeker colour ever, Shackwave, Other emperata victims, Cliffjumper, Bugbite, Nemesis Prime, Magnus san armour, Thunderclash, Pyro etc etc. Transformers was the king of mold reuse and palette swaps, with the benefit that most of them are other characters as opposed to just a blue version of the same bloke.

The Kreon lines had a lot of part reuse without becoming stupid. This site is cool for looking at existing reuses too.

Be interesting to see what else this can open the door to, especially as for a long period recently there was a Hasbro shared comics universe that had GIJoe, Mask, Micronauts, Visionaries etc in, also led to some interesting merging of their lore and the creation of hybrid Solstar/Transformers and all sorts.

On 2/19/2021 at 3:48 AM, buttheadsmate said:

...I accept that this is an homage of Transformers but I personally don't quite get it ?   

As usual i find myself quoting BHM, as he shares my sentiments before i do.

Transformers that dont... Transform has never been a concept that i get.

Bring on the JOES! oh and a Vamp and H.I.S.S. too, maybe even a Rapidfire MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mattallica

3 hours ago, Mattallica said:

As usual i find myself quoting BHM, as he shares my sentiments before i do.

Transformers that dont... Transform has never been a concept that i get.

Bring on the JOES! oh and a Vamp and H.I.S.S. too, maybe even a Rapidfire MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!!!

I know it's a bit more integral to the line in the case of Transformers. But how many Spiderman minimates do we have and how many can transform into Peter Parker?

Optimus Prime's robot form is cool and iconic and I'm psyched to get these mates. I would never have him posed in truck form anyway.

The other thing some of us like about non-transforming figures is that there don't have to be trade-offs in the robot mode appearance for the sake of the transforming feature. I can see where you're coming from though. How can you call it a "transformer"? LOL

53 minutes ago, cylonchaney said:

I know it's a bit more integral to the line in the case of Transformers. But how many Spiderman minimates do we have and how many can transform into Peter Parker?

Optimus Prime's robot form is cool and iconic and I'm psyched to get these mates. I would never have him posed in truck form anyway.

The other thing some of us like about non-transforming figures is that there don't have to be trade-offs in the robot mode appearance for the sake of the transforming feature. I can see where you're coming from though. How can you call it a "transformer"? LOL

its not the same at all,  its spider-man you get what its billed as, it  would be more like getting a MM called Transformable spider-man that doesnt come with removable mask/suit to change to peter parker.   these are literally called Transformers and they dont transform its like buying a pack of batteries that is empty and having that asterisk with the note Batteries not included. on it

Edited by Mattallica

There have been multiple occasions where even main line hasbro transformers haven’t transformed, such as the action master lines.

Yes the original premise of the line was robots in disguise and the transformation part was a large part of the play pattern however as mentioned above that always meant a trade off where either the robot or vehicle mode looked janky and had what was lovingly called kibble all over it.

This led to statues, RED (robot enhance design) figures and all sorts that simply represent one mode and do it without having to accommodate the engineering and parts for both modes.

Oddly it’s not a criticism I’ve seen levelled against Funko Pop Transoformers, is it that people are more accepting of that body?

It’s perhaps a strange one to get your head around but even on the TF focused boards out there no one is surprised/ disappointed they don’t transform, just like people weren’t with the Super7 or Pop figures. 

I ,truly,want to be convinced into 'understanding' these 'mates . Apart from reading up about Transformer history the original toys passed me by , I've kinda enjoyed the movies & I know there is a huge following . 

Minimates ? I think I am capable of holding a conversation about them .

Looking at those pictures I surmised that they were incapable of transforming.  I was however totally sure that they probably suffer in the same way that all Minimates suffer when heavily bulked-up with slip-overs , they become 2 inch Vinimates. 

Edited by buttheadsmate

Generally speaking ,the Minimate 'hand' often spoils an otherwise beautifully designed Minimate , significantly the hands look strange ,IMHO, on these Transformers. The relatively minor addition of sculpted hands/gauntlets/claws would go some way to making these robots  look more robotic .    

Over 10 years ago DST produced what I consider to be the best (technically speaking) minimate ever made , it had its flaws &  was also almost inarticulate but it was superb ....TRU W7 Hulk Buster .   

10 years on & I find myself trying to figure out WTF I can constructively say  but  I'm unsure whether to get my usual case from Luke or wait until these show up at McDonalds .

5 hours ago, Mattallica said:

these are literally called Transformers and they dont transform its like buying a pack of batteries that is empty and having that asterisk with the note Batteries not included. on it

I remember opening my first pack of Walking Dead Minimates....they just stood there and smelled like plastic.  Meh.

Non-transforming Transformers isn't a dealbreaker for me at all. My issue is scale.

The appeal of Minimates to me is that multiple properties can exist in the same scale. Knowing that Optimus Prime is supposed to be the size of a truck makes me more interested in a Vinimate of him. But knowing that Transformers vary in size from cassette tapes to PLANETS has always been enough to keep me away from Hasbro's line let alone forcing the likenesses onto the same 2" frame. That's just my OCD nitpick.

I'm not a GI Joe fan by any stretch but I'm totally on board with those sight unseen as long as they fit in with Marvel, The Walking Dead, Silence of the Lambs, Aliens, Predator, et al.

All that said, this is an exciting property to add to the brand. I hope it does ridiculously well and leads to other Hasbro properties like Micronauts, ROM, and Power Rangers.

15 hours ago, youbastards said:

I remember opening my first pack of Walking Dead Minimates....they just stood there and smelled like plastic.  Meh.

Wow, im generally amazed that many here are so concerned by my opinion of non-transforming Transformers, ive been mocked, and lectured to that they are a legitimate or accepted  form of collectible by the transformer community, that they  have appeared before  etc. not that i EVER said that they weren't or that i was unaware of previous incarnations along the same line, this is just my opinion of the concept folks its not  like i said that DST couldn't/shouldn't make them or that you or anyone else couldn't/shouldn't like them. (oh if i had that power, you would all be in trouble, but i digress)  i don't collect many funkos and definitely never found the need for a non-transforming Transformer Pop so i can't speak to why they have never come under the same scrutiny or their pros and cons in general.

An interesting point id  make is that the Original  "Transformers" were designed as transforming Toys FIRST then adapted to cartoons, comics etc after so the TRUE look of them WOULD be the way they looked as Vehicle and/or robot however "Janky" and "Kibbled" that may be.

anyway as stated this is just my opinion( we are ALL allowed to have one, and if more people would just remember that instead of the knee jerk reaction that seems more and more prevalent in our world today, i think we would all be better off) if you are happy with these new additions to Minimates then i am happy for you, hell, i never even said i wouldn't buy these either just that the concept i always found odd. what might turn me off most is that these look to be about $30 for a 4 pack is that right?!

Edited by Mattallica
typo