UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

MCU Centric releases

bofox

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly due to time differences I may have missed the bunfight although there may be time left to pour some gasoline  water onto the fire. 

This zombie-pack ,for me, came from out of nowhere, a complete surprise . A disappointment ? I guess it was but as somebody has implied, any product in this current climate is welcome IMHO . Ultimately even I have to get down from sitting on the fence.

IMHO = in my humble opinion.  

I am not a moderator despite what it might say in the 'Moderator's list' . I have had more than my fair share of jousts with fellow-members , DST officials & moderators for that matter .  I am therefore not casting any stones at anyone .

The 'cost' of Minimates ,the 'price rise' ? On the face of it is substantial but as someone who has recently built a house, price rises have been the highest this 67 year-old has ever seen .  People are exploiting this but I ,personally don't think DST is . They are however 'preparing the way' by touting a 'recommended selling price' . Forgive my use of  '....'  but I have learned long ago that what I type in British gets confusing for some colonials .   ;) 

"When I was a child ,I spoke as a child ,I understood as a child,I thought as a child : but when I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of repaints ,packaging & price rises "  

.....with apologies to C.S.Lewis

Some of you all have are acting like cult members. The Kool-Aid is strong here.

Imagine going to a public forum and telling people to stop posting their thoughts and opinions because they are "harassing" someone with *checks notes*... valid criticism and a meme... while implying they're drunk and calling them a "miserable cunt".

@MattallicaThat meme was funny.

What is happening here? I think we need to all step back a bit and recognize what we are arguing about. Certainly, we can disagree without personal attacks. This is the kind of toxicity that kept me out of many other boards. I’m sure others feel the same. Collectors are a passionate group for sure but let’s not implode because we’re disappointed in a product. 

Echoing BHM, the cost of everything is skyrocketing right now. I’ve dropped all collecting except for Minimates as a result. Do I love every design? No. No one has to. Buy what you like. Don’t buy what you don’t. 

4 hours ago, Swarm198 said:

Some of you all have are acting like cult members. The Kool-Aid is strong here.

Imagine going to a public forum and telling people to stop posting their thoughts and opinions because they are "harassing" someone with *checks notes*... valid criticism and a meme... while implying they're drunk and calling them a "miserable cunt".

@MattallicaThat meme was funny.

It wasn't the criticism, it was the form. I don't agree with the criticism, because as someone who worked in the toy industry, in retail, I understand that with the cost of licenses, plus rising scarcity of materials, rising cost of production, global shortages and fewer storefronts for distribution, prices need to go up for the line to stay profitable and continue to be made. It is just reality.

If someone disagrees with that? Fair enough. They don't need to flood a bunch of angry messages and memes and be rude to and pester the guy, though.

Edited by Navaan

2 hours ago, Padrino said:

What is happening here? I think we need to all step back a bit and recognize what we are arguing about. Certainly, we can disagree without personal attacks. This is the kind of toxicity that kept me out of many other boards. I’m sure others feel the same. Collectors are a passionate group for sure but let’s not implode because we’re disappointed in a product. 

Echoing BHM, the cost of everything is skyrocketing right now. I’ve dropped all collecting except for Minimates as a result. Do I love every design? No. No one has to. Buy what you like. Don’t buy what you don’t. 

This. This is all I want.

for the record all i did was state my opinion Zach chose to "debate" me and others here so we had a friendly back and forth(i made 3 replies to Zach) no names no swears, only facts and opinions.  others felt the need to "police" OUR conversation and names were called swears were used all one sided, of course.

and so there is no confusion,  I do  like the mates offered, I dont think the price is where i will be purchasing them at, I have no ill will towards Zach(never have) I can have a conversation/debate about opinions and facts with out resorting to calling names/ swearing or holding it against the other person, I cant speak for others here.

Edited by Mattallica

I have gotten MANY reports on this thread.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and expressing it in a straightforward or pleasant way is all good.  Call me biased if you like but I know Zach and some of the other long time DST folks.  They price things as they can with the fans in mind and they come here, often on their own time, to give us free information.  I seriously doubt any one of them would come here to debate economic stability and recession/inflation, for any reason other than trying to help us understand the behind the scenes costs passed on to us consumers.  These guys are fans and I know this for a fact because I have seen them geeking out at Cons, just like we do.

Be civil in your conversations with everyone and agree to disagree.

I guess it's mainly disappointing since we've had a drought of MCU minimates and this the first thing we're getting. So many characters we are missing from 2021-2022 that I'm sure many would prefer over this particular release, but its a neat set.

I could see the Dr. Strange being a good starter custom for an Undead Strange from Multiverse of Madness.

I have resisted saying anything, waiting til things cooled down a bit -- but I have thoughts.

On price, it is what it is. I don't believe DST is trying to make a mint and cackle all the way to their Scrooge McDuck vault full of gold coins. I'm sure raising the prices on a line that's hanging on by a thread was the last thing they wanted to do, and further it's because of that "thread" (i.e. not a lot of volumes produced) that they couldn't better temper the inflationary impacts to price point.

[trigger warning: I am assuming the line (Marvel) is, in fact, "hanging on by a thread," as evidenced by the skeleton crew that hits these boards, the loss of TRU and Walgreens as retail distributors, and the overall reduction in available product. I would be very happy to be wrong, so please tell me if you know something I don't.]

So, I'm happy that the line (Marvel Mates, specifically) is still around, and that they're still putting stuff out, full stop. I'll continue to pay market rate for the stuff I like.

However, I think there is some fair critique here on the character selection. It is really, really unfortunate that price increases are hitting in tandem with a set like this. Let's be real here: it's a five-pack with a head and a cape. It happens to be a head and a cape that I would really like to have, but I can understand how this admittedly supposed-to-be-quick-to-market set is tough to accept as the ambassador of yet another price hike.

If I hadn't seen this thread, and you told me MiniMates was doing a What If? box set, I'd probably say, "Wow!! Ultron?? Watcher?? Captain Carter??" Admittedly I might have also said, "Zombie Cap??" But I would have expected something that reflected the diverse character offering of the original content. The designs in this set are great, as they always are. The Marvel team does great work, and I'm sure everything has to have licensor approval so I know there is a lot of rigor applied and attention to detail. Just saying that when it appears that we have fewer and fewer shots to get characters out, and the price is increasingly becoming a deterrent, you need to make your shots count.

2 hours ago, elhonez said:

I have resisted saying anything, waiting til things cooled down a bit -- but I have thoughts.

On price, it is what it is. I don't believe DST is trying to make a mint and cackle all the way to their Scrooge McDuck vault full of gold coins. I'm sure raising the prices on a line that's hanging on by a thread was the last thing they wanted to do, and further it's because of that "thread" (i.e. not a lot of volumes produced) that they couldn't better temper the inflationary impacts to price point.

[trigger warning: I am assuming the line (Marvel) is, in fact, "hanging on by a thread," as evidenced by the skeleton crew that hits these boards, the loss of TRU and Walgreens as retail distributors, and the overall reduction in available product. I would be very happy to be wrong, so please tell me if you know something I don't.]

So, I'm happy that the line (Marvel Mates, specifically) is still around, and that they're still putting stuff out, full stop. I'll continue to pay market rate for the stuff I like.

However, I think there is some fair critique here on the character selection. It is really, really unfortunate that price increases are hitting in tandem with a set like this. Let's be real here: it's a five-pack with a head and a cape. It happens to be a head and a cape that I would really like to have, but I can understand how this admittedly supposed-to-be-quick-to-market set is tough to accept as the ambassador of yet another price hike.

If I hadn't seen this thread, and you told me MiniMates was doing a What If? box set, I'd probably say, "Wow!! Ultron?? Watcher?? Captain Carter??" Admittedly I might have also said, "Zombie Cap??" But I would have expected something that reflected the diverse character offering of the original content. The designs in this set are great, as they always are. The Marvel team does great work, and I'm sure everything has to have licensor approval so I know there is a lot of rigor applied and attention to detail. Just saying that when it appears that we have fewer and fewer shots to get characters out, and the price is increasingly becoming a deterrent, you need to make your shots count.

I think this is all accurate and fair, personally.