UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Direct - shut down

youbastards

2 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Such a gut punch, especially after personally experiencing something similar last year.

My thoughts go out to the folks who are suddenly out of work in a year that's already challenging in so many ways.

Empathy is an admirable character trait, Mr. PL.

Selfishness, less so.

My first thought was maybe DST can go after a minimate license again.

1 hour ago, cylonchaney said:

My first thought was maybe DST can go after a minimate license again.

DST has never held the DC license for Minimates. As a division of TimeWarner, DC Direct never needed a license to make any of its DC collectibles. They tried making it happen but the 2-packs were too expensive ($2 more than Marvel's MSRP) and the release schedule was very tight due to the factory scheduling. (The first three assortments were released a month apart.) DC Direct wasn't the problem.

DC's licensing has been handled by Warner Bros. Consumer Products for over a decade, maybe more, as I recall. It's up to someone there to recognize the value of a toy line that could last as long as Marvel's line of Minimates has, especially without the same restrictions. Imagine a DC Minimates line that allows for vehicles and playsets that incorporate the same mix & match play pattern as the figures. Picture MAX but with a Batwing and Blue Beetle's Bug and Superman's Kryptonian ship and Luthor's battle suit.

Get Todd and Mezco out of the way and give retailers something to get excited about. Hasbro's bringing back MicroMachines. Maybe wee is back.