UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 82

OvenproofBug6

My only disappointment here is that Johnny doesn’t have a hairpiece. But I’ve got enough Captains Americas that I can spare a blonde. 
It’s an FF in consistent costumes with the exact accessories I wanted with them. Nobody’s half translucent or 100% on fire. And I love these black and blue outfits. Plus a solid variant for Surfer and Doom. 
yeah I’m okay with the $50. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/24/2020 at 6:22 PM, buttheadsmate said:

I love the look of these apart from the same ol' thing .

Why oh why can't we get a Thing with a one-piece moulded head ?  Get your paint brushes out , hunt out your parts bin for Thing parts & sharpen your sharpies. Same ol' problem I'm guessing.

Check out the art on the packaging & then check out the figure :rolleyes:

I try to be a positive person.  I've been with Minimates since the beginning and will ride with them until the end, but even I fear the longevity at $50/ 6-Pack.  The timing is really bad too as the Hasbro licenses were maybe giving us some momentum that we haven't had in a long time.

i like it a lot.  i always hated seeing the wasted packaging of the two packs when i'd open multiple at once.

with regards to this packaging, i know its just a sample but i'd have made the logos bigger for both Fantastic Four and for Minimates.

my only fear is that random one off characters won't have a way to get released anymore.  

I like the new boxset design and I’m ok w the $50 price. Hopefully this does well and we can get back to a consistent flow of Marvel minimates.

The whole 1-2 waves per year doesn’t come off as a line that’s doing well. 3-4 big box sets w a few 4packs per year sure would be nice.

6 hours ago, youbastards said:

DST needs to step up the quality control for $50 boxsets.  I just got an email from Customer Support this morning stating they don’t have replacements for the missing pieces I reported from the Dark Phoenix wave.

Message me.

6 hours ago, elhonez said:

Will DST still be counting these as "waves" or will we be abandoning that language now?

For marketing purposes, we felt that advertising them as Wave 82 was an unnecessary barrier to purchasing, for retailers and consumers. That said, they will have an 82 on the package somewhere.  

39 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Message me.

For marketing purposes, we felt that advertising them as Wave 82 was an unnecessary barrier to purchasing, for retailers and consumers. That said, they will have an 82 on the package somewhere.  

Unfortunately for MM fans, the 82 will be preceded by a $.

I kid, I kid.

I actually find this price easier to swallow than the $40 for 4 figures in the Joe line. Much more value here overall.

Some QQs (and thoughts) as I digest this:

• Is that a new/refreshed logo for Minimates?
  • I like the book-spine look. 
  • Was using one of the many comic fonts for the "Fantastic Four" title off the table?
  • What's on the back of the box?
Edited by elhonez

I've been out of the game for a while, but 50$ or not, I'm getting these for sure. I'll probably not get two though; 50$ (plus shipping) is too much for me to buy another set just for Franklin/Val customs and end up with extras that I'll have no use for. Still, I'm excited for this set; the packaging looks great too.

2 hours ago, elhonez said:

• Was using one of the many comic fonts for the "Fantastic Four" title off the table?

Regards the Minimates logo I have always considered it to be more of a burden to the line than a benefit . Maybe some might consider that I'm being too lofty but the logo is wrong in almost every way . 

This would be the time to change it.

Edited by buttheadsmate

7 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

Regards the Minimates logo I have always considered it to be more of a burden to the line than a benefit . Maybe some might consider that I'm being too lofty but the logo is wrong in almost every way . 

This would be the time to change it.

luckily the figures themselves bring me enough joy to overlook the crayon font after all these years. glad i’m not the only one who thought it could be better.

I like the new big box design. As a collector I more often then not display my figures loose (a few exceptions like for promos etc.)

For me the book cover design gives a more premium look to the figures so if that's the future for our favourite plastic crack it looks like staying in box going forward.

10 hours ago, elhonez said:

Yes, courtesy MM designer Barry Bradfield.

We made it the same dimensions as a comic, although it will be smaller. We were inspired by Marvel's Essentials trades. 

We're going to standardize the box set names across the line, so they'll all be that same font. 

Head shots and names of the characters, and a few details about what Minimates are, including POA, although I'm not sure we can mention interchangeability for licensor reasons. 

I actually like the box design. I could honestly see myself putting them on a bookshelf if they look good in person and if I have room (normally packaging goes straight into the trash and recycler).

While I would always prefer to not have price increases, I understand them. In the scheme of things one “wave” of minimates costs about the same as two Marvel Legends figures. That feels about right. I am a little concerned that the switch could doom the random non-themed mates and unless Diamond does an entire boxes of army builders I don’t see being able to build any armies even small ones of two or three. That hits me hard let with the Cobra from GI Joe than Marvel.

this new box art, and indeed direction, is awesome. It's all the joy of a wave but in one convenient package. With the standardised fonts and comic book sized packaging, it feels like this is an exciting new direction for minimises, with more focused waves and denser (in minimises, accessories and fun) executions of characters united under one banner.

Fingers crossed we'll stocking our shelves with all manner of box sets in the new style, and all their spines will be a delightful (and uniform!) summation of who's inside.

I think I'll leave it at that but I will add that the new minimal font is rather lovely and nostalgic.

Thanks again Zach for all the gory details!