UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Do wave numbers make collecting hard?

I had an interesting conversation about how the high wave numbers make Minimates feel unapproachable to new collectors as opposed to Marvel Legends that just calls the wave by the build-a-figure  or by the theme. Thoughts? 

Honestly, I think high numbers are scary for adult collectors who don't want to feel like they missed out.  It's the same reason why comics feel like they need to restart at a new #1 all the time.

Personally, I think it's character selection and proper fanbase management that attributes more to sales than a dumb wave number.  If someone wants to buy a figure, the wave number probably won't stop them; they might say it does, but I don't believe it.  High wave numbers (or issue numbers) is an easy excuse to not buy something, but if it wasn't there, I think they'd just find a different excuse.  

This is a great question. As someone who happened upon minimates around a decade ago at this point I had no idea there were wave numbers when I first picked up the X-Men Origins: Wolverine wave. And after seeing the inner pamphlet with almost every marvel minimate released to that point (which I personally think was brilliant, and should be brought back maybe including the last few years of mates) I was blown away, and at first found it somewhat overwhelming that there were so many, but quickly transitioned to excitement thinking about the entire 2 inch Marvel universe that could be sitting on my shelf.

It wasn't until I picked up more at TRU that I then happened upon Ivan's Database (which I think would go a long way in being advertised my DST themselves, and compensating Ivan of course). This is when I first learned that there had already been 30-something waves of Marvel minimates on top of numerous box sets, exclusives and TRU exclusive waves. That I would say is when I was both scared for my wallet but also invested in collecting.

So the simple answer is probably yes, but I find it might depend on interest in certain characters and definitely after-market availability, which is supported by Luke and plentiful eBay listings.

Edited by OvenproofBug6

With a large line like Marvel, this is why "Greatest Hits/Best of" assortments are critical to providing a jumping on point for new collectors. If the most popular characters are always available in their most iconic looks, it'll draw in more consumers. And the Marvel line is massive. No other line of Minimates comes close.

21 hours ago, MisterPL said:

With a large line like Marvel, this is why "Greatest Hits/Best of" assortments are critical to providing a jumping on point for new collectors. If the most popular characters are always available in their most iconic looks, it'll draw in more consumers. And the Marvel line is massive. No other line of Minimates comes close.

I agree. I think there needs to be a way to access the line that doesn’t seem daunting. I’m experiencing this with my dip back into Marvel Legends. There are so many that were made in the 15 years break that I took that it’s a bit overwhelming and costly. Having an access point (like the recent three pack of Scott/Jean/Logan) made it easier for me to justify getting back in.

I think there is a way of getting both sides to agree by having DST make a Marvel Legacy line that could have Two redos or updates with a lot of accessories that had an insert that should the breath and depth of the line with a call out to Luke and the Database. I’m picturing a baby Mezco almost with different hands, heads, and such. Paired with an enemy. Wave One being a Spidey/Doc Ock, Cyclops/Magneto, and Invisible Woman (matching greatest hits Reed) and Silver Surfer.

1 hour ago, AugieWargo said:

I think if you're a completist then it can really be, but I think DST does a really good job revisiting hard to find, most wanted, or popular characters more than other toy companies. 

I think they have gotten better at it, but they have a long way to go. Especially since the 90’s X-men are some of the most in demand and very hard to get. Paying over 20 bucks for a minimate is a bit of a challenge for a new collector imho. There are others that are challenging like the FF. 

5 minutes ago, thereasonsy said:

I think they have gotten better at it, but they have a long way to go. Especially since the 90’s X-men are some of the most in demand and very hard to get. Paying over 20 bucks for a minimate is a bit of a challenge for a new collector imho. There are others that are challenging like the FF. 

I agree the 20 dollar price point would be a bit of a turn off for new collector but I don't think I've ever paid 20 bucks for a 2 pack let alone a single minimate. I've seen some priced that high by certain people but to me that's just insane.

If you have the 'completist' gene in you & you are a new fan then it must be daunting when you see "wave 80' being announced .  

If you have the 'completist' gene then there is no advice I or anyone else can give you .

I have a particular fondness of early Marvel Minimates but there is little doubt in my mind that a new collector could 'begin' from Wave 23/24 which corresponds with the launch of the TRU Marvel waves .

Then there are the box-sets.

I'm not helping am I ?:confused:

On 2/22/2020 at 4:16 PM, funkguerilla said:

If someone wants to buy a figure, the wave number probably won't stop them; they might say it does, but I don't believe it.  High wave numbers (or issue numbers) is an easy excuse to not buy something, but if it wasn't there, I think they'd just find a different excuse.  

I agree with this. The only real obstacle I can see is important characters you want not being available and that's less a problem with minimates than most lines.

8 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Keep in mind that the lack of X-Men and Fantastic Four Minimates can be directly tied to the whole Disney vs. Fox situation. Now that the acquisition is a done deal, I'm expecting more of both, especially if a Fantastic Four feature film gets announced anytime soon.

*Allegedly* either way we did get X-men waves during the “embargo”. We just haven’t seen several of the more “popular” things like X-Men TAS. I think people’s discovery of the line is an issue more so than a number but then again excluding three Minimates, Galaxtus Max, and the Thundercats Lair/Tank- I own every released minimate that I want. Based off my previous rant there isn’t buzz off of this brand. Hopefully that changes soon. 

7 minutes ago, stack32 said:

I agree with this. The only real obstacle I can see is important characters you want not being available and that's less a problem with minimates than most lines.

I’m feeling this with Marvel Legends Rogue. It drives me nuts though and the only reason I did jump in was because I needed accessories for my Minimates. If you wanted the Jim Lee era, those Minimates would cost you over 100. Want a Hercules? Good luck. Not to mention the Warpath that was packed with X-Factor Angel -both of which have a high price tag. I honestly don’t know the answer. All I do know is people aren’t talking about Minimates and to me that generally means a lack of awareness not preference. If there was a preference issue we would see chatter and it would have a negative sentiment score. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would say if you really want to be a completest then the fact that the waves weren't numbered wouldn't make a difference to the issues mentioned. I have often wondered if there was a reason that straight up reissues couldn't be released outside of the regular waves.

A long time ago, DST was asked why they wouldn't simply reissue certain Minimates. As I recall, the answer was that they don't like to repeat themselves. This was at a particularly frustrating time when a popular character like Spider-Man in his popular black costume variant had only been offered once as a chase figure.

Since then, DST has offered the Best of/Greatest Hits assortments as gateway drugs entry points but only through the specialty market. It seems those series would have been ideal for checkout lines in the mass market, especially with an insert illustrating the most recent specialty assortments. Just direct them to ComicShopLocator and the Minimates Database.

If there was one Minimate pack that started off my obsession of buying multiples it was the Black Spidey pack ....... I'm not particularly proud of it but over the years I've possibly created several ......er....shortages of ....er.....certain Minimate packs .   Sorry :blush:   

Black Spidey was produced just once & when you consider that the contemporary Spider-man minimate was seen in 8 or 9 differently packaged versions..... that is quite incredible .

• 1 month later...