UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Phoenix Wave (Wave 81)

thereasonsy

Series 81 won't be solicited for a while yet, maybe once 79 is out, and our timeline has shifted a little.

...and yeah, I find myself agreeing with BHM. (Wait, what?) For Kostis to say that the problems began in the first Cap and Thor movies, well, that's all of them. If you don't like Marvel movies, that's fine, but I certainly can't see your line of distinction any more.

That you grew up with them and hate them is baffling to me, but when I was 13 I hated the X-Men cartoon because it wasn't like the comics. I studied film in college, and when Iron Man 2 hit I was working as a professional film critic -- I know they're not great art, but they are an art form, and I don't think they're made for young kids.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

...see above...

"until IM2 they actually felt like real films "    

There were only 2 fucking films made before IM2 &...... & I am really trying to be patient ......you were at least 11 years old when you saw  the both of them . Would this be a factor?

What's with the language ? 

JointExhaustedGoat-small.gif

And no, age is not really a factor. For example, I was really hyped for Ghost Rider back in 2007. Me and my pals spent a whole party one time playing the game over and over on the PS2. I've watched the film about 10 times or more. It doesn't mean that I consider it good. It's an "alright" 2000s Capeflick. It's not good, or even average, but it's got Nic Cage, a flaming skeleton riding a motorcycle and a nice "Satan" (who's not really on part with say, Viggo or DeNiro), so coupled with "nostalgia", it's just a run of the mill average capeflick. Emotional investment plays a role, but there are tons of Capeflicks I watched as a kid that I feel no attachment to. I've watched XMO:W I can't remember how many times now, and I absolutely love the videogame. I barely consider it a flick.

On the flip side, I used to hate Constantine for not being a faithful adaptation, but I'm warming up to it. So all in all, no, I'm capable of critical thinking, and don't just like and dislike things based on some vague emotional attachment due to the age I watched them.

8 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

You really ought to ......you must.....ask yourself "Why have I watched the next 20 MCU movies (after IM2) to decide that they are not for you? 

TFA & Thor I watched because I was curious to see what they'd come up with. Moreover, they were films I watched with friends on a Saturday night out, not things I caught on the first screening. The same as many other films that I ended up not really liking. I watched Momoa's Conan like that, for God's sake... And you know what, I was not that dissapointed. They were of a more watered down quality but they still had a movie feel. Thor could've been more Mythological & Epic, but they were good enough starts. Not IM-Tier, which is a legitimately great film, but not too bad. It was Avengers that solidified the MCU as a long series of TV movies given theatrical releases.

Avengers I watched because of the Hype and because I'm an Iron Man Fan.

Thor: TDW, to this day, I've only seen a screener of.

IM3 I watched because, like I said, I'm an Iron Fan, and I like Shane Black. Honestly, that felt like a proper film, so twists aside, I still don't hate it. I like the entire Iron Man Trilogy. If I judge them purely as an Iron Man Fan, they're awful representations of the character which ruined the comics. But as movies, they're good.

GotG I watched because I used to be a fan of the 2008 DnA Vol and I like Sci-Fi. And sure, I like the film. It's one of the good ones I mentioned. It's not going to show up in my Top 20 anytime soon, but it's a solid and proper movie. TWS I watched because I used to like Brubaker's Cap run, and I like Espionage stuff. Plus, Robert Redford. I watched it about three times at the cinema because finals were approaching and I wanted to get out and relax.

Then there was... Ant-Man ? I can't remember if I watched that on the Big Screen or not. I think I just downloaded it.

AoU I watched because of Iron Man and Ultron.

Then there was CW which again, I watched because of Iron Man, and it's one of the most TV-Like MCU flicks, especially the horrendous airport scene.

Doctor Strange I watched because I was a big Strangefan as a kid, and I was promised some true Metaphysical concepts and effects. Which I didn't really get, but it's a nice enough movie because it's shot as one. Not shaky cams, no overeliance on green screens for every single thing, proper cinematography and a tighter script, which would've been better if only that dimwit from Reddit & Memey wasn't brought in to add cringy jokes. Nevertheless, it was the movie that finally made me give up on the MCU as a whole, so take that as you will...

And that was it. The rest I downloaded, and apart from IW & EG, which I watched again, only for Iron Man, the others I barely managed to sit through them on 2.5x speed. Hell, I think AM&TW, CM, SM:FFH & BP I merely skipped through. And even that was unbearable... As for what's in store, I don't plan on watching anything at the theatre. I never even finished the Netflix shows past Daredevil. I stopped caring about the MCU long ways back. Now all I'm interested in is DOOM, and maybe some X-Men, if the casting is good. I'm not a huge fan of the Muties these days, but I like the general concept well enough.

My problem isn't that they're "lowbrow", and I'm such a stuck-up snob that I only watch Hungarian Arthouse. I like Blockbusters just fine. But the MCU isn't a collection of Blockbusters. It's a bunch of tv movies with a higher budget. From the acting to the scripts, the none-existent cinematography and personality, they're all just hollow clones devoid of any soul. Snyder's DC Movies, regardless of your views on them, had Soul and identity. 

6 hours ago, elhonez said:

I'll happily be a pleb in this context: I dug Thor 3. Super fun to watch. I appreciated that it wasn't afraid to poke fun at itself. Was it Godfather II? Some ponderous Terrence Malick affair? Gaspar Noe? Haha, no, of course not. Sometimes I want to eat brunch at that new trendy fancy place that has a line out the door, and sometimes I want a bowl of Lucky Charms. I'm not going to rate the Lucky Charms against a gosh-dang grilled peach & burrata salad; I would find that to be an invariably unreasonable and ultimately disappointing exercise. Different scales entirely, and appropriately so.

That I can agree with, since it's basically what I'm saying. You wanna like the MCU ? Go ahead. It's got some legitimately okay movies here and there, like GotG. But don't ask me to rank the majority of them as proper movies. 

And you know what, I'll take the Bayformers over the MCU any day of the week. Now those are some real Blockbusters. The first 3 anyway. The last two became too corporate. But the first three are fun Blockbusters and you'll never get me to say otherwise.

5 hours ago, DSTZach said:

...and yeah, I find myself agreeing with BHM. (Wait, what?) For Kostis to say that the problems began in the first Cap and Thor movies, well, that's all of them. If you don't like Marvel movies, that's fine, but I certainly can't see your line of distinction any more.

My line of thinking is that up until IM2 they were actual films. Yes, 3 films is plural, hence "they". TFA & Thor had problems, but they showed promise. Then Avengers came out and it all went to Hell. I don't see what's peculiar about my line of distinction.

5 hours ago, DSTZach said:

That you grew up with them and hate them is baffling to me, but when I was 13 I hated the X-Men cartoon because it wasn't like the comics. I studied film in college, and when Iron Man 2 hit I was working as a professional film critic -- I know they're not great art, but they are an art form, and I don't think they're made for young kids.

Growing up with something doesn't mean you have to like it. And I wouldn't say I "grew up" with them. When I was a kid I watched 90s Spider-Man and X-Men, Disney's Recess, stuff like that. Toy Story (1 & 2), Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Tarzan, A Bug's Life and Monsters Inc are the Disney/Pixar videotapes I used to watch all the time. My Capeflicks were the Raimi and FoX-Men Trilogies. My comics were Ultimate Marvel, Civil War Era Marvel, Morrison X-Men, those things. On the evenings I watched House MD. By the time the MCU started, I was already past associating things with childhood memories. And even then, it doesn't really affect me, as I haven't cared about Spider-Man in about a decade, when I used to be a HUGE fan as a kid. I consider Half-Life, Counter Strike, GTA: SA, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, LOST and even BSG part of my childhood more than I do the MCU. That came out during my teen years, which I don't feel any real attachment to. If you want to make me nostalgic, remind me of MGS and DOTA, not the MCU.

As for who they're made, they're not made for kids. They're made for "everyone", meaning consumers. I simply don't think high enough of them to call them films. They fail at having an identity, they fail at translating the comics, they fail at being blockbusters, they fail at everything, at least in my book. I'd sooner watch "Benny & Joon" than Captain Marvel.

Edited by Kostisfire

6 hours ago, Swarm198 said:

Yes please. The “film” and “cinema” snobbery are getting unbearable.

I'm English (& old) & I have only adopted the word 'movie' here ,it is not in my daily parlance , neither is 'cinema' .....in Merry Olde England I "go to the pictures" & rarely.:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Dannii said:

Is Lilandra coming with her scepter? Is that the right word to describe what she usually holds?

What Lilandra comes with is unknown to me . I thought a sceptre would have been like a small, mainly ,ceremonial mace but from the pictures of Lilandra that I have referenced she seems to be holding a five-pronged spear , much like Aquaman's quindent (?) . However according to MMDB ,Loki (TRUAv) has a longish 'sceptre' accessory ......so what would I know?

Forgive my language earlier , not good , sorry ! 

Edited by buttheadsmate

Finally!

I would call Lilandra's staff a staff, just due to its length. A sceptre always struck me as being shorter. I might even call it a quindent. Regardless, she is currently slated to come with it, along with an alternate hair piece. 

Edited by DSTZach

• 2 weeks later...

Series 79 is not out yet, but should be soon. Series 80 went up for pre-order a month or so ago, so I would say late summer/fall for them.

Series 81 has not been solicited yet, but should get offered this summer. Late 2020 is possible, but it might be around the new year. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...