UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Phoenix Wave (Wave 81)

thereasonsy

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

I think so far you’re the only person I’ve seen who actually liked it. Maybe design-wise a missed opportunity but as far as marketability goes its a dodged bullet. 

As someone who values a good nap, I thought it was a home run. The designs were ideal for Minimates. X-film continuity has been all over the place for a while. Odd that they chose to remake the franchise's most successful installment.

On 3/23/2020 at 1:42 PM, MisterPL said:

As someone who values a good nap, I thought it was a home run. The designs were ideal for Minimates. X-film continuity has been all over the place for a while. Odd that they chose to remake the franchise's most successful installment.

I'm with you. I couldn't stand it but those uniforms were aces.  Maybe we will get New Mutants similar to how Marvel Legends did it with Moonstar.

10 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Thor Ragnarok was a train wreck?

Watch the three Thor movies back to back and you'll see what I'm talking about. Ragnarok was largely a big-budget SNL skit that often ignored the script and allowed improv, even when actors broke character. Takes that should have been reserved for the blooper reel were left in the final cut.

I'm all for silly moments and humor borne out of ridiculous situations as long as the characters react the way the characters would react. Good stories require balance. But when Odin's death carries no weight? That ain't right.

For a movie that had the death of Thor's father, three of his closest friends, and his HOME, it was far too silly. I understand wanting to balance all that drama with humor but it favored the satire well over the storytelling. 

This is the kind of tone that was needed after the events of Infinity War/Endgame. I'd have no problem seeing Thor going into that deep funk after being defeated by Thanos, secluding himself and spending years immersed in self pity and the distraction of Midgardian pop culture. He redeems himself in Endgame and, spirits high, moves on to his next adventure with a lighter, less burdened attitude.

I really think Kevin Feige dropped the narrative ball here.

On 4/6/2020 at 6:33 AM, thereasonsy said:

The entire thing was a train wreck.

You are correct... but I was also pointing out how silly it was to end such a bad film with a fight scene that occurs on, and literally wrecks, a train :P

giphy.gif

The entire MCU Post-IM2 is a trainwreck with some okay flicks here and there. IM2 is better than the majority of later releases, and I'll take that to my grave. Whoever disagrees is a Pleb with bad, awful, terrible taste, and whoever agrees is a Patrician versed in the high arts. It's not even up for debate.

source.gif

:rolleyes:

I always thought your were a mass debater Kostis ?

Not everything in the MCU has been perfect but if you are actually telling me that " The Avengers " (post -IM2) is a train wreck or an OK flick then you are a Pricktician . 

Edited by buttheadsmate
I may have spelt Patrician wrong.

Kostis! In spite of that damning statement, it's good to hear from you.

Wow. Lots of hate here, I thought the strong box office of Thor 3 was a reflection of how many people enjoyed it. Although I guess Captain Marvel made a LOT of money for what it was. (Not a fan of that one.)

I will admit to not being a Thor fan BEFORE the movies ( I never read the Thor comics, really), but I thought the third one was the best. Silly, sure, but just as entertaining as the first two, if not more so. They didn't really have time to mourn their father before things went sideways. Anyway, I always liked the funnier Marvel Comics the best, and didn't Thor have an arc where he was turned into a frog? I guess most of my Thor love comes from Twisted ToyFare Theatre. 

But I guess I have bad taste, I enjoyed IM3, Avengers 2, Ant-Man, Ant-Man and Wasp, Cap 3, Infinity War, Endgame and Black Panther. 

Dark Phoenix was not great. I forget how it even ends. I may have fallen asleep. 

55 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

:rolleyes:

I always thought your were a mass debater Kostis ?

Those days are long gone. Now I just call everyone who doesn't agree with me "Cringe", and whoever agrees with me "Based". It's surprisingly efficient.

giphy.gif

55 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

Not everything in the MCU has been perfect but if you are actually telling me that " The Avengers " (post -IM2) is a train wreck or an OK flick then you are a Pricktician . 

Well, I did say "with some okay flicks here and there". And that's what it is; okay. It's an okay flick. It's basically a tv movie given a theatrical release. Sure, it's not the CW shows, but let's not pretend the MCU has actual films in it. If these flicks are more than "okay" then the rating scale gets all screwby. For example, "The Comformist" is a 7/10 movie to me. What grade do you think I'll give to "Civil War" or "Black Panther" ? Sure, I can give both a 6/10 if I judge them as flicks made for toddlers and people on their night out before they go out to have drinks, and of course to make the studios tons of cash. But if I judge them as proper movies, well, I can't give them that...

tumblr_mkytcu9XS51qgk3oho1_500.gif

48 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Kostis! In spite of that damning statement, it's good to hear from you.

Ghost and those good ol' shiny X-Mates brought me here. You best go on releasing those goshdarn Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom and Comic Book Iron Man mates now, or my Lordship shall leave once again... I don't really collect the line anymore (I stopped colelcting everything bar comics, and even those I'm just waiting for some indie series to finish, but I'm getting back into 1/6th with some POs) but I want to finish my TNBCM Collectin, and those Phoenix Saga figs look ace. So I'm here. For now...

giphy.gif

Edited by Kostisfire

You have to respect a man who walks into a forum, calls Avengers a made-for-TV-movie, Black Panther a movie made for toddlers, and uses gifs that make him out to be either Don Draper or the Pope. You don't have to LIKE him, but you have to respect him. :) 

I've longed shared your sentiment about marvel movies, Kostis. I was especially floored by all the recognition Black Panther received. I'm all for what it represented and I'm glad that people felt heard and noticed by it, but as a movie??? Not what I would consider "cinema" my good sir. 

In my book, the first wave of movies they put out are by far the best (barring the Hulk, but we can't win em all). Each of those movies had a distinctly different visual style, tone, and unique photography that made the task of putting them all together in one picture all the more daunting. Once they proved that it could be done, they abandoned all sense of artistic style and started popping out popcorn flicks like it was a family reality show on TLC and shoving them in our faces doing a poor imitation of the bully from a John Hughes film. 

Thor Ragnarok is funny and I enjoy laughing at it, but so is Step Brothers and I don't expect to see that movie being granted a Criterion Collection release in this lifetime. 

Marvel movies lack the emotional maturity depth they started out with. 

32 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

You have to respect a man who walks into a forum, calls Avengers a made-for-TV-movie, Black Panther a movie made for toddlers, and uses gifs that make him out to be either Don Draper or the Pope. 

l just preach the truth. Somebody has to save the Plebs from their tastes... And it's not my fault that my Chadness is only rivaled by people like Don Draper and the Pope.

35bdwf.jpg

32 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

You don't have to LIKE him, but you have to respect him. :) 

Of course! I'm brilliant and great and never, ever wrong; just like Doctor Doom!

tumblr_mmf3ekLXP11qko4x4o1_500.gif

16 minutes ago, NerdyTrev said:

I've longed shared your sentiment about marvel movies, Kostis.

Good to hear. You're hereby declared a Patrician.

tumblr_nd5z6d7hNu1qbar1do1_250.gifv

18 minutes ago, NerdyTrev said:

I was especially floored by all the recognition Black Panther received. I'm all for what it represented and I'm glad that people felt heard and noticed by it, but as a movie??? Not what I would consider "cinema" my good sir. 

Well, I fail to see what it represented bar- Hm, I think it best to refrain, in this case, lest I utter words, unfit for these boards.

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, NerdyTrev said:

In my book, the first wave of movies they put out are by far the best (barring the Hulk, but we can't win em all). Each of those movies had a distinctly different visual style, tone, and unique photography that made the task of putting them all together in one picture all the more daunting. Once they proved that it could be done, they abandoned all sense of artistic style and started popping out popcorn flicks like it was a family reality show on TLC and shoving them in our faces doing a poor imitation of the bully from a John Hughes film. 

Thor Ragnarok is funny and I enjoy laughing at it, but so is Step Brothers and I don't expect to see that movie being granted a Criterion Collection release in this lifetime. 

Marvel movies lack the emotional maturity depth they started out with. 

Until IM2, they actually felt like real films. TFA & Thor weren't half bad, but the "style" had started cementing itself. By Avengers, they were merely "joints". I can dislike the ST of SW as much as I want, but they are actual movies. From the way they're shot, edited and presented. The MCU is merely a series of TV Mvies given a theatrical release. IW came kind of close to being a real movie, but nah. Doctor Strange and the GotG movies had pretty good cinematgraphy, so I consider them movies too. Not great or anything, but good enough for what they are. But the Avengers ones, Ragnarok and the others; nope.

...see above...

"until IM2 they actually felt like real films "    

There were only 2 fucking films made before IM2 &...... & I am really trying to be patient ......you were at least 11 years old when you saw  the both of them . Would this be a factor?

For the record ...until this week*......I never bothered with **watching 'another 'Star Wars movie since I saw the first movie when I was your age (22). I am a lonely man in that it never got under my skin..... like it seems to with nigh on everybody else.  

**That has been my choice . 

You really ought to ......you must.....ask yourself "Why have I watched the next 20 MCU movies (after IM2) to decide that they are not for you? 

* isolation with my 6 year old grandson Involves sacrifices.......truth be known , ESB is  now under my belt & I quite enjoyed it:ohmy:

Edited by buttheadsmate

3 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Wow. Lots of hate here, I thought the strong box office of Thor 3 was a reflection of how many people enjoyed it. Although I guess Captain Marvel made a LOT of money for what it was. (Not a fan of that one.)

I will admit to not being a Thor fan BEFORE the movies ( I never read the Thor comics, really), but I thought the third one was the best. Silly, sure, but just as entertaining as the first two, if not more so. They didn't really have time to mourn their father before things went sideways. Anyway, I always liked the funnier Marvel Comics the best, and didn't Thor have an arc where he was turned into a frog? I guess most of my Thor love comes from Twisted ToyFare Theatre.

Agree on Thor on all counts. Gave up after the 2nd film and waited for the home release for the 3rd because I didn't want to waste my money. Was pleasantly surprised by the 3rd film. It was really well done.

I happen to like Captain Marvel a lot, but I'm a big CM fan so I'm biased.

I'll happily be a pleb in this context: I dug Thor 3. Super fun to watch. I appreciated that it wasn't afraid to poke fun at itself. Was it Godfather II? Some ponderous Terrence Malick affair? Gaspar Noe? Haha, no, of course not. Sometimes I want to eat brunch at that new trendy fancy place that has a line out the door, and sometimes I want a bowl of Lucky Charms. I'm not going to rate the Lucky Charms against a gosh-dang grilled peach & burrata salad; I would find that to be an invariably unreasonable and ultimately disappointing exercise. Different scales entirely, and appropriately so.