UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Phoenix Wave (Wave 81)

thereasonsy

The only way I will tolerate Cyclops is if that jacket isn’t painted on. Not a perfect wave imho but a good one. Also I’d reconsider the BAF strategy. I would happen to guess it’s due to manufacturing cost increases and tariffs so getting rid of it will help hold the line on price. Hopefully the manufacturing delays in China will not impact the release of these too badly. 

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Swarm198 said:

Wow. I never thought I’d get a Corsair minimate. Incredible work. The whole wave looks awesome.

So this wave will have a Shi’ar army builder exclusive for Luke’s Toy Store, right? =P

Now that’s a wrinkle I hadn’t thought of. I guess it would depend on how well the Multiple Man did and if DST would agree to the lower production run. It would be amazing if they did though! 

1 minute ago, thereasonsy said:

Now that’s a wrinkle I hadn’t thought of. I guess it would depend on how well the Multiple Man did and if DST would agree to the lower production run. It would be amazing if they did though! 

I can't see a shi'ar army builder being as popular as multiple man. But maybe it's just because I don't really care for the shi'ar 

I'd say it's less artistically interesting, but well-designed and a lot more cohesive with modern 'mates.

The old Dark Phoenix is a really cool figure, but it's so simple and stylised that the only thing it really fits in with is the Cyclops from the same pack. I'm glad we're getting a new one.

Bomberclops getting an optic blast does a lot to make it feel more worthwhile, although I'm sure it'll be just a shade off the last version...

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

Dark Phoenix a very apt reuse of the Avengers 1,000,000 BC Phoenix effect. I'm glad DST found a worthy place to get some mileage out of what was a very specific piece.
3 brand new, much requested characters, and 3 re-do's that are gorgeous looking and with serious value-adding accessories. Can't say I'm mad about any of this.
This wave, and wave 80, are what excited me about Minimates to begin with. Diverse, deep, roster-building characters. Bright, comic book designs. I'm looking forward to ordering this series from Luke's.
Sidebar: I hope this does well and opens up the chance for the rest of the Starjammers & key Shi'ar to appear.

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

If that Cyclops is supposed to be an homage to the cartoon, he'll need a more authentic torso, legs, and flesh hands. I'm guessing he might come with an alternate set of arms so folks can display him without the coat.

tumblr_omk4jgtIAN1qc63ooo2_250.jpg

Yeah, I don’t think the idea is to make a perfect recreation but more of a nod to. If so they would have to paint the cross X-holster onto the figure and he’d be out of the theme. Adding the jacket gives people what they have asked for: an X-Jacket. I hope there are extra hands but it looks like all of the accessories were shown with the figures. 

4 hours ago, Nessex said:

Dark Phoenix a very apt reuse of the Avengers 1,000,000 BC Phoenix effect. I'm glad DST found a worthy place to get some mileage out of what was a very specific piece.
3 brand new, much requested characters, and 3 re-do's that are gorgeous looking and with serious value-adding accessories. Can't say I'm mad about any of this.
This wave, and wave 80, are what excited me about Minimates to begin with. Diverse, deep, roster-building characters. Bright, comic book designs. I'm looking forward to ordering this series from Luke's.
Sidebar: I hope this does well and opens up the chance for the rest of the Starjammers & key Shi'ar to appear.

I agree 100%.  Everything from the character choices to the character designs is pretty perfect.  I think wave 80 is a better showing off the beauty of vanilla and near-vanilla minimates, but this wave shows what a themed, sculpt-heavy and sculpt-specific wave can do.  And it does hearken back to older waves in all the right way.

Really glad to get a Gladiator! The others aren't a must need for me but I'm going to be buying every wave going forward. Not sure if this line is in trouble or not but there are so few releases nowadays that I want to make sure I'm doing my part to prove there's still interest in Marvel Minimates.