UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

2020 NY Toy Fair

MisterPL

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would actually be cool with that. I liked how they varied the heights in that line, but it makes it odd when I consider my LotR ‘mates with most other properties.

The thing that I would be worried about is DST’s latest trend of releasing a box set or two, then stopping because the sales aren’t there. So we end up with a few characters we want and a large number conspicuously MIA

On 2/25/2020 at 10:17 AM, MisterPL said:

I was referring to Minimates. I'm sure plenty goes on behind the curtain but when DST shows John Wick statues and action figures but not the long-delayed Minimates box set, the whole brand starts to feel like it's sliding into Star Trek territory.

I was referring to Minimates, too. 80% of our booth was non-Marvel, and not everything was shown, but we are working on new Minimates properties everyone will be quite happy with. John Wick may have finally given up its last breath, so I expect more doom and gloom, but a rainbow is on the horizon. 

I'm also wondering if DST still has the Star Trek license and if so why?

Yes. We are still working on two electronic ships and a TNG phaser. Not sure any more figures are in the offering. Minimates are not being discussed. 

I was referring to Minimates. I'm sure plenty goes on behind the curtain but when DST shows John Wick statues and action figures but not the long-delayed Minimates box set, the whole brand starts to feel like it's sliding into Star Trek territory.

I was referring to Minimates, too. 80% of our booth was non-Marvel, and not everything was shown, but we are working on new Minimates properties everyone will be quite happy with. John Wick may have finally given up its last breath, so I expect more doom and gloom, but a rainbow is on the horizon. 

I'm also wondering if DST still has the Star Trek license and if so why?

Yes. We are still working on two electronic ships and a TNG phaser. Not sure any more figures are in the offering. Minimates are not being discussed. 

23 hours ago, MisterPL said:

No mention of Marvel Minimates hitting a milestone 80th assortment.

I'll be honest, standing in one place and trying to remember everything around the booth we need to talk about can be a bit difficult. Most of the time we walk and talk. I should have mentioned them. 

I absolutely loved the LOTR Minimates and was super excited when they launched. I remember stalking my lame TRU for weeks until they finally showed up.  I welcome another shot at the line if it happens and will track down the larger figures. I like them.

Also, that Storm is beautiful.  Just sayin...

Lord of the Rings Minimates were not really on my radar in my early days of collecting , in fact I just got them for 'completion' but over the years I have been won over by them . I'll say now that I'm not sure whether a new line would be a good idea but I'd buy them if they were made.

The original 2-packs are fairly scarce on eBay although they never seem too expensive when they do appear . It should be noted that Wave 2 is far scarcer than Wave 1 & the box sets are common .

5 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I'll be honest, standing in one place and trying to remember everything around the booth we need to talk about can be a bit difficult. Most of the time we walk and talk. I should have mentioned them. 

It did have the feel of an Oscar speech, where there's a finite amount of time, you're trying to thank everyone but you know you've forgotten someone, the orchestra is playing you off, you wave to the crowd as you walk off stage and there she is: MOM. ?

7 hours ago, DSTZach said:

John Wick may have finally given up its last breath, so I expect more doom and gloom, but a rainbow is on the horizon. 

Well, I guess it's better to pull the plug and have a merciful death than keep waiting for it to never happen.   Looking forward to seeing what (aside from Marvel) is next.

DST hasn't garnered any good will among its core consumer base with a move like this.

I understand that pre-orders get canceled due to low sales. Shipping dates change. We're talking about a SKU that was solicited last spring for a late summer release that kept getting pushed back without explanation all the way to the following summer and it's only now, here, that we're finding out John Wick 2 Minimates have been canceled.

If DST has any non-Marvel Minimates announcement, I hope they understand any skepticism it's met with. 

Yeah, I just don’t really like preordering. Most of the time I’m good with money, but I don’t like buying something and having the money drafted from my account at a random far off time in the future when I have no idea what my financial status may be.

I just had to pay off a vehicle and buy a new one unexpectedly and it left me living paycheck to paycheck for a couple weeks. Having $30 pulled out because DST decided to randomly ship figures is a “no” from me, dawg.

Like - It's crazy... I've seen a few people comment on this wave potentially hitting Wave 100, but when you think about the TRU & Wallgreens waves (even if you discount the duplicate figures), they've got to be up over 100 waves by now. 
When they do "officially" get there, I hope the marketing machine goes into overdrive to celebrate. 

On 2/25/2020 at 1:20 AM, DSTZach said:

Just because all we had on public (press) display was Marvel doesn't mean that other non-Marvel lines weren't' shown and discussed in private, with licensors and retailers. Because they were.

No. There is a specific reason we aren't allowed to do BAFs anymore. As to why we do three packs and not four, I think that has to do with tooling amortization, but I could be wrong.

The only specific reason that matters is money. Your answer for the 3/4 leads to the money as well.