UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

2020 NY Toy Fair

MisterPL

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Wick 2 Minimates are noticeably absent, as are Minimates from any other license.

While Minimates based on other licenses in DST's portfolio are certainly a possibility (depending on the agreements, of course), it couldn't be more obvious that the brand has become exclusive to Marvel.

2 hours ago, OvenproofBug6 said:

I'd be completely on board for a 2 inch Lord of the Rings, that's the only part of my minimates collection that really stands out like a sore thumb because of the size.

I can’t tell you how much I would flip for an updated take on the LotR mates. I absolutely love the ones we got, but the tampos feel a bit dated. And of course there’s the issue of scale.

I don't want to get my hopes up, though...

15 hours ago, DSTZach said:

BAF cessation has nothing to do with cost. No plans to change price, and accessories are just how they shook out for character selection. 

So you are saying that the strategy is to offer fewer characters and cut the waves by 3 characters just because? 

BAF must be adversely affecting sell through somehow. 

It's a catch-22; you can offer BAFs in the hope that everyone will want that figure enough to buy the whole assortment OR you'll still get folks who only buy part of an assortment, ruining it for those BAF collectors.

Sales must indicate the latter.

I have to say, AA/DST often does a shit job of launching a line. For me it started with the Star Trek figures with the rubber pants. Talk about a marketing fail. Nowhere on the packaging did it indicate that the figures had any articulation below the shoulders. As far as the casual consumer was concerned, they had head and arm articulation and that was it. "Why bother including chairs if they can't sit?"

Marvel Minimates launched with one of the most requested figures being a chase. It took DST almost two dozen series more five years later to offer Symbiote Spidey again. A main character in one of his most popular costumes shouldn't be so hard to get.

Then there's Lost in Space. Can we get Minimates? "Sure! Here's two in black & white, just like the TV show!" Um, can we get more? This time in color like most of the TV show? "Sure! Here are the same two in color!" Okay, I guess we're getting somewhere. Now, can-- "Sorry! Sales suck! No more!" You mean we're never going to get the main characters of the show? No Space Family Robinson? "Ask DST!"

Then BAF is finally introduced in a what's ostensibly a Netflix Defenders assortment and the BAF is Quake? A character that should be part of an Agents of SHIELD assortment is shoe-horned into a Marvel Knights wave. Don't get me wrong. I love Quake. I'm happy to have her in my collection. Do people who watch Marvel's Netflix shows know who she is? Would Hellcat have been more appropriate?

And let's launch John Wick Minimates by soliciting a box set from the second flick during the release of the third movie. Then we can claim "box sets aren't selling."

?

I'm trying to stay positive but much of what you say MisterPL is damned hard to argue with.

BAFS . I'm ambivalent , I buy a full wave anyway but TBQH I like toys not bits of toys .

Regards packaging .........does anybody really understand why the packaging on Marvel waves 4 to 22 didn't even allow you to see the toys you were buying ?  

Chase figures .  Custom cases (3 variants enclosed) have been around for around 10 years ......yet chases are nigh on always price-hiked when sold separately. Why? 

Lost in Space.........I could cry.  Check out a B9 Vinimate with its smaller Minimate brother .........one is a particularly nice interpretation of B9 & the other has bendable knees ..........:D   

We must look forward not backwards.

Edited by buttheadsmate

1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

BAFS . I'm ambivalent , I buy a full wave anyway but TBQH I like toys not bits of toys .

I'm an opener so I put them together but I can understand why MIP collectors wouldn't care.

1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

Regards packaging .........does anybody really understand why the packaging on Marvel waves 4 to 22 didn't even allow you to see the toys you were buying ? 

At some point after the line launched, someone at Toy Biz said, "Hey! They can't show action figures on blister cards! That's our schtick!" And Marvel said, "Hey, you're gonna have to not use a blister card. It's gotta be a box." Fortunately, some time later, someone said, "Okay, you can put a window in the box but it can't show more than 30% of the actual product." 

Keep in mind this was all while Toy Biz was pulling the strings, the same folks who said, "Professor X's wheelchair can't have rolling wheels anymore because that makes it a vehicle and they don't have the vehicle category!" I sincerely doubt anyone at DST has bothered to revisit the terms of the original agreement for fear of upsetting someone who probably isn't even there anymore and losing the license entirely.

Personally, I like the closed boxes because they show how dynamically the figures can be posed. The trays just hold them in place like little plastic corpses. At first glance they look like LEGO figures but are SO much more fun. Packaging has never been AA or DST's strong suit. Packaging was part of the reason this hot mess was among the last assortment of Alien Minimates.

16 hours ago, MisterPL said:

John Wick 2 Minimates are noticeably absent, as are Minimates from any other license.

While Minimates based on other licenses in DST's portfolio are certainly a possibility (depending on the agreements, of course), it couldn't be more obvious that the brand has become exclusive to Marvel.

Just because all we had on public (press) display was Marvel doesn't mean that other non-Marvel lines weren't' shown and discussed in private, with licensors and retailers. Because they were.

11 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

So you are saying that the strategy is to offer fewer characters and cut the waves by 3 characters just because? 

No. There is a specific reason we aren't allowed to do BAFs anymore. As to why we do three packs and not four, I think that has to do with tooling amortization, but I could be wrong.

11 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I'm an opener so I put them together but I can understand why MIP collectors wouldn't care.

At some point after the line launched, someone at Toy Biz said, "Hey! They can't show action figures on blister cards! That's our schtick!" And Marvel said, "Hey, you're gonna have to not use a blister card. It's gotta be a box." Fortunately, some time later, someone said, "Okay, you can put a window in the box but it can't show more than 30% of the actual product." 

Keep in mind this was all while Toy Biz was pulling the strings, the same folks who said, "Professor X's wheelchair can't have rolling wheels anymore because that makes it a vehicle and they don't have the vehicle category!" I sincerely doubt anyone at DST has bothered to revisit the terms of the original agreement for fear of upsetting someone who probably isn't even there anymore and losing the license entirely.

Personally, I like the closed boxes because they show how dynamically the figures can be posed. The trays just hold them in place like little plastic corpses. At first glance they look like LEGO figures but are SO much more fun. Packaging has never been AA or DST's strong suit. Packaging was part of the reason this hot mess was among the last assortment of Alien Minimates.

Regards the blister packaging......I had an inkling but I appreciate your reiteration .

BTW ,DC Minimates  showed off the 'mates entirely & 13 years on I honestly don't think that packaging has been surpassed. 

BAFs & MIPs  ......acronyms, where would be without them?   I know a MIP collector who actually buys up fully built loose BAF figures  when they appear on eBay , he feels that it completes his MIP collection .....it also completes his loose collection ,he  claims that you can always become an 'opener' but it's not so quite easy to go back.            Guy's fucking weird ,he's got that weird guy's stuff .....ambivalence.

.....& Zach.... "we aren't allowed to do BAFs anymore" invites the question ...........why?  

Edited by buttheadsmate
sp.

8 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Just because all we had on public (press) display was Marvel doesn't mean that other non-Marvel lines weren't' shown and discussed in private, with licensors and retailers. Because they were.

I was referring to Minimates. I'm sure plenty goes on behind the curtain but when DST shows John Wick statues and action figures but not the long-delayed Minimates box set, the whole brand starts to feel like it's sliding into Star Trek territory.

I'm also wondering if DST still has the Star Trek license and if so why?

11 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

By God a revival of Lord of the Rings minimates with modern Minimate techniques would be so nice. 

Modern...... & perhaps innovative......like a more flexible knee joint.:other_beatingA_DeadHorse:

"There is only one Lord of the Ring ,only one can bend it to his will his knees & crouch."   -Gandalfsmate.

Find me just one picture of Gollum not crouching.  buttheadsmate now waits nervously .