UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Do kids still play with toys etc?

MiniFiend UK

before I start this is a post I'm writing drunk. Ive just read/scanned the post about Toy sales still being down since TRU closed, But do younger kids still play with toys as we did at their age?

I myself will be turning 50 the end of this year and I have 2 kids in there mid to late 20's and 2 grand kids one of 7 an the other just about to hit 2, also nieces  an nephews 10 an up.

Now I admit to being a nerd/geek well before Stranger Things brought DD back but now its super trendy. With being older and having the expendable income we look back on what we couldnt afford we go backwards.

It just seems to me that kids now dont play with toys as we did. toy adverts dont get across the imagination of doing your own thing, even lego isnt a box of bricks now. Every piece has its place and once built dont you dare take it to bits..  A Solider figure or a nurse doll isn't something that kids seem to look upto now as thats a great thing to do.

Even the other day was video chatting with my daughter an granddaughter and i was gobsmacked when trying to keep my grandaughter locked on the screen so she could see me as soon as the end came and My daughter said ok hit the button to end it my granddaughters finger was like a bullit click and gone. she knew the layout of a mobile phone before she is out of nappies

I  am rambling but from what I can see kids arent being tactile or physically engaged with toys unless someone older shows them what to do.

My nieces play with toys. 
They showed a keen interest in toy cars (Matchbox, HotWheels and the like) at a young age, so their Nana bought them lots.
I've often bought them creative gifts where they get to make something (craft kits, art supplies), but I've also bought them lego and action figures. They play with the action figures the way kids do... give them voices, send them on adventures, zoom them around the living room.
I'm pretty sure kids still play with toys if you let them. 

I don't think most kids play with toys these days but not by any fault of their own.  I believe its because they don't have the same environment and up-bringing we did.   I don't know if it's parents being too busy or wanting their kids to be independent but I think some of it is peer pressure and society making kids think they have to "grow up" too fast. 

I agree. The sensory experience of playing has gotten less tactile and more virtual.

Minimates are really fun toys with an easy to use mix & match play pattern that have struggled to stay in the mass market. Roblox exist just fine because they're avatars, gateways into a virtual experience of world-building. Even LEGO has evolved beyond construction sets, maintaining their superiority with games, home videos, and feature films.

DST needs to partner with a game developer.

I base my opinions on my grand-children who are variously aged between  'just walking/talking' & 7 years old . They have tons of toys & whenever I see them they enthusiastically play with toys of all shapes & descriptions. They also embrace 'screens' but are not encouraged to spend too much time doing so.  I live on a farm & I can say quite categorically that when they are with us they play outside (with & without toys) as often as they can/when its not raining........it rains a lot where I live.  It can be no coincidence that toy-farms /tractors & animals are numero uno playthings ..... & jigsaws !!

Kids that I know play with toys........but not mine .