UA-100768763-1 Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JeffBohn

Buffy! Angel and Spike too!

If the seller is buying directly from DST, that doesn't make it secondary. That makes the eBay seller just another specialty market retailer, especially if they're ordering that quantity.

Even so, DST is far more interested in selling cases by the hundreds, not the score.

DST's most likely not selling directly to that guy, but rather he or she has a Diamond account and order through that.

I don't think it's as easy as "just" reinventing the Minimate brand; they've certainly tried to make vehicles at least with limited success. In some ways I think that Minimates are now a victim of their own modest success. It's a known enough brand that it's hard to get retailers to take a chance on it. And again I'd argue that it's a leftover commodity from a previous time, when block figures were of more interest among the collecting community.

I agree to a certain extent but resting on their laurels isn't helping. Just because something didn't work previously doesn't mean it isn't worth trying again, maybe even differently with the benefit of hindsight. (And in the case of Buffy, learning from the experience of other manufacturers.)

For example, there's a way to make statues of Sentinels that are compatible with Marvel Minimates, a way that is more affordable for collectors than the last attempt and one that could encourage multiple purchases. But I don't see DST even bothering to solicit such a SKU with concept art because there seems to be an unwillingness to take even small risks.

All DST Products are sold through Diamond Comic Distributors and Diamond UK. They have requirements for an account, and online retailers are eligible. There are minimums, and I don't think they are daunting as long as you can prove you are a reseller. I doubt any seller has 40 cases on hand (that may simply be what they can get) but if someone placed that order, that would be fantastic.

i don't know if Palz soured the Buffy market, but I don't think they broke sales records, and was there a series 2? Following it up with another block figure line would have been an odd choice, and further cannibalized our action figure sales.

i don't know if not repeating mistakes is the same as resting on laurels. Not trying something new, sure, but we try new things all the time, just not Minimates. You can Ask DST about Buffy  Mm, but I know we are looking at new licenses.