UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Buffy! Angel and Spike too!

JeffBohn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/20/2019 at 11:57 PM, JeffBohn said:

WHAT KIND OF BULLSHIT IS THIS DST?  Sorry I feel personally trolled with this since I basically have been begging for this for years and don't collect Vinimates except for ones that fit into the standard minimates line like a Dr Manhattan or a dino. This is some f^*%ng nerve.

It's one product. It's not the last Buffy product we'll ever make. Maybe in the future we'll see Minimates, who knows. We're just starting with Vinimates.

To be fair, we were not personally trolling you, since nobody at DST knew you wanted Buffy Minimates, not even me.

57 minutes ago, arnim zola said:

When DST was churning out Buffy figures nonstop we were asking for mates, even before that when MAC was doing figures. This is some trifling Bullsheet.

Seriously. Telling us you don't want to make them or that there isn't a demand or distribution partner or any other lie in your arsenal but don't come here and fucking tell us you didn't know we wanted them when this board, the Facebook group, ASK Chuck, and instagram are filled with images/mentions/and pleading for Buffy mates. It's bullshit.

I just meant thereasonsy, and me personally. I'm sure fans asked for MM when the show was on the air. But I haven't seen much talk or Ask DST recently.

I wasn't around in the DST Buffy days, or the MAC days, so I don't know how long PALZ tied the block figure rights up for, or how long they soured the market for them afterwards. Even if the rights freed up post-PALZ, I can't imagine we would have dove right in.

John Wick Vinis did well, I think. We made a couple of versions. People mock the Pops comparison, but it's an established price and format, and I think we do benefit from that. MM are their own beast, one without a comparable product format/category on the market.

I'm sure there's a strong fan demand for Buffy merch overall, but how much in this media drought remains to be seen. John Wick, there have been three popular movies in the last what, five years? And yeah, retailers take that stuff into consideration. So we'll see how the Vinimates do.

I'm not entirely sure how or why (Buffy) PALz 'soured' the market for other block figures ?   I'd accept that the Buffy PALz were a little naive in many ways but the next licence up...The X-Files....were IMHO superb.   The recent 'token' X-Files Minimates releases would be a perfect example of how not to introduce a new Minimate licence & I am not ready for a second example. 

4 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I'm not entirely sure how or why (Buffy) PALz 'soured' the market for other block figures ?   I'd accept that the Buffy PALz were a little naive in many ways but the next licence up...The X-Files....were IMHO superb.   The recent 'token' X-Files Minimates releases would be a perfect example of how not to introduce a new Minimate licence & I am not ready for a second example. 

Totally agree. 

On 12/25/2019 at 2:28 PM, DSTZach said:

I People mock the Pops comparison, but it's an established price and format, and I think we do benefit from that. MM are their own beast, one without a comparable product format/category on the market.

I think this is an important point that we often overlook. There's not really a market for block figures anymore; Minimates is basically the last survivor of a toy fad that burned out many years ago.

2 hours ago, hellpop said:

There's not really a market for block figures anymore; Minimates is basically the last survivor of a toy fad that burned out many years ago.

With respect , I disagree.  There is a market for block figures it is the marketplace that has diminished to a point where it almost ceases to exist 

Spend 5 minutes on eBay checking out the 'completed' listings for kubricks,PALz &......yes.....Minimates , you'll see what I would consider a healthy demand for all of them. 

1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

With respect , I disagree.  There is a market for block figures it is the marketplace that has diminished to a point where it almost ceases to exist 

Spend 5 minutes on eBay checking out the 'completed' listings for kubricks,PALz &......yes.....Minimates , you'll see what I would consider a healthy demand for all of them. 

DST doesn't sell to the secondary market. They sell to retailers in the specialty market, mass market, and now pharmacy.

Block figures seem to sell just fine as long as they're accessories to something else rather than standalone products like Kubrick and PALz. If it's a construction set like LEGO or Mega Blox Construx or a video game like Roblox, there's still no shortage of them. Even discount and dollar stores have some very affordable incarnation.

DST just needs to reinvent the Minimates brand with an emphasis on the mix & match play pattern and expend to vehicles and playsets. Or sell the brand to a company that can. While the last thing I want to see is C3 2.0 (the brick category is NOT the way to go), accessories that complement these 2" action figures and feature components that can be interchanged with other SKUs would be pretty fun.

DST doesn't sell to the secondary market . No they don't but they are quite happy to sell ( just as a tiny example)  40 cases of the current Marvel Minimates Wave 78 to a well-known eBay seller . Now perhaps I've got that wrong but according to my eBay checkout I would be able to buy that amount from 'him' if I was crazy enough .

DST doesn't sell to the secondary market ............my attorney advises me to agree with that comment because it is of course true. 

......&.....Medicom successfully tried several marketing ploys .......most anything you have seen from DST I have seen similar ,before, in a kubrick packet .