UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Transformers Thread

Alpheon

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does Slag mean in the uk?

Slag is a pejorative slang term, primarily used in the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland and Australia, to describe women who engage in casual sex and promiscuous behaviour. Its meaning is broadly similar to the terms "slut" and "skank" but generally considered a harsher term.

I FINALLY found Wave 3 today. They look great! What did you use to add the black to Snarl's club?

I just carefully outlined the area to be coloured with a black permanent marker and then filled it in...

It worked well when i used it to black out my spare MM Aragorn so i thought why not...

Easy to touch up if it gets scratched as well ;)

I am but i'm probably in the minority of people who actually enjoyed the first film :P

Well, the thing made a butt-load of money at both the theaters and on DVD, which suggests to me that a bunch of people at least liked it. Personally, I just hate Michael Bay and the fact that the TFs in the movie looked ugly to me, and I couldn't tell what was going on during the action scenes at the end of the film (when they were rolling around on the ground, etc.). However, I can understand people enjoying the explosions and whatnot.

post-1827-1218292891.gif

--edit: I forgot that I also disliked the story, acting, music, cinematography and editing, stereotypes, and Bumblebee urinating on John Turturro. Otherwise, everything was fine :) I actually really liked Cullen's voice appearing and Megatron's personality. Also, I have to give credit where it is due--no one, and I mean NO ONE, does explosions like Michael Bay. He seems to take great pride in his ability to create explosions, and he deserves recognition.--

Edited by karamazov80

I'm glad you elaborated on why you disliked it, because I manage to hate Michael Bay quite easily while simultaeneously enjoying the TF movie :lol: . I thought it was a LOT better than his typical crap. Less explosions for one, and an actual sense of humor (loved the Autobots "hiding" on the front lawn) -- I mean the first half of the movie with BB was basically a Herbie movie, but funny. Even the action stuff was all done with a sense of humor far beyond the usual Bay fare where nobody could take themselves more seriously. When I saw it I was convinced he must have watched Team America right before making it, and tried to avoid all (well, most) of his usual nonsense out of shame.

That said, I can totally see why a lot of big TF fans wanted the robot characters to be more the main focus, but as a more casual TF fan I enjoyed myself much, much more than I expected going in.

Also I totally agree the fights were done with WAY too many close-ups, making them hard to follow -- that one awesome shot of Prime and Megs crashing through the freeway should have been the way they shot every fight. Although I thought the same about the fights/car chases in the two new Batman flicks, which were shot way too close up.

Anyway, I guess my point is I liked it a lot, and not for love of explosions or Michael Bay. :) Still, I half expect him to screw up the sequel, and "Revenge of the Fallen" would probably seem like a really lousy title if it wasn't for "Quantum of Solace," which takes up all the title-annoyance I have in me.

• 2 weeks later...
--edit: I forgot that I also disliked the story, acting, MUSIC, cinematography and editing...

...you...you didn't like...the music?? I'll admit, I was disappointed at the lack of any allusions/homages to the TF Theme, but besides that, the music was fantastic! Seriously one of the best soundtracks in the history of humankind.

And y'know? They used it for the last Superbowl. :P

...you...you didn't like...the music?? I'll admit, I was disappointed at the lack of any allusions/homages to the TF Theme, but besides that, the music was fantastic! Seriously one of the best soundtracks in the history of humankind.

Sorry, but we must simply agree that the other is wrong :)

I thought the music was horrific. Very pseudo-patriotic and somehow violence-glorifying (how instrumental music can do that, I can not say), but at the same time completely soul-less, redundant, and nausea-inducing. In fairness, I believe that all of Michael Bay's movies use the same soundtrack, so it may just be that I was tired of hearing the same thing in all of his movies. I can not be completely sure.

Then there was the Lincoln Park song on the credits :sick:

Best soundtrack of all times? I should think not!

Edited by karamazov80

The soundtrack wasn't that fantastic...

The Steve Jablonsky score on the other hand...

In my opinion a winner all the way *nods*

Well, that's what I was referring to. The score.

And karamazov--didn't at all mean to sound argumentative. :) But it's interesting to hear your opinion--and I can (kind of) see where you're coming from.

Well, that's what I was referring to. The score.

And karamazov--didn't at all mean to sound argumentative. :) But it's interesting to hear your opinion--and I can (kind of) see where you're coming from.

I didn't think you were being argumentative at all, and I hope I didn't come off that way. :)

On a separate note, my other two Animated Dinobots turned up yesterday...

Swoop is OK but Slag is awesome!!!

ANIMATEDSNARL.jpg

And yeah, i know that Hasbro didn't use the name Slag because of the meaning in the UK but as far as i'm concerned, he's Slag, end of story...

Did you paint his club like that yourself or did it come like that? Cause mine is just pure orange.

TM2, Basically what Deadpool said, i just used a permanent marker, carefully outlined the raised bits and then blacked them out...

Also, my Chelsea F.C 2008/2009 shirt turned up last week...

2008-2009FRONT.jpg

2008-2009BACK.jpg

Quite proud of that although i have had to explain to a few of my football mates who Bruticus was and how it relates to me...

Edited by bruticus

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't gonna pick up Oil Slick as i didn't like the initial pictures of him but last night i broke down and picked him up...

OILSLICKOBIWAN.jpg

"Having lost his Swoop in an earlier battle with Durge, Obi Wan had to resort to desperate measures..."

He's pretty cool actually, a lot better than i expected him to be...

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody pick any of the Universe stuff? How do you like them? I've picked up most of what's been available I've only opened Sunstreaker he's pretty neat I don't really like his head though. I'm I thinking of getting Unicron when I get paid.

I got Sunstreaker, Prowl, and Acid Storm. I like Sunstreaker the best of the 3, as he has a great look in robot mode, and a cool transformation. Prowl is disappointing. He just looks funky to me in bot mode, and as such, is not a worthy update to who is probably my favorite Autobot. Acid Storm is kind of a weird, stupid repaint of Starscream, but that is my favorite Transformer mold ever. So, as long as it is affordable (i.e. not Thundercracker), I will get any figures released with it.

I really want Powerglide, but the Henkei version (who wants a white Powerglide?). However, that is too expensive, so I might not pick it up. I'm most psyched about the forthcoming Hound. He looks terrific, and the Ravage is too awesome. I might also get Cyclonus or whatever his name is at some point. Unicron is too big for me.

My only other recent TF purchase was Animated Soundwave. He sucks. I regret wasting the money.

Edited by karamazov80

I picked up Unicron haven't opened it not sure if I will. I opened Prowl overall I like him more than Sunstreaker but not by much there both pretty good. Hey just a question is the Encore stuff legit? Also what Tfs are knock offs is there anything to look for that would indicate potential knock off?

I picked up Unicron haven't opened it not sure if I will. I opened Prowl overall I like him more than Sunstreaker but not by much there both pretty good. Hey just a question is the Encore stuff legit? Also what Tfs are knock offs is there anything to look for that would indicate potential knock off?

Unless I'm mistaken, the Encore figures are licensed Takara TFs re-released in Japan. Regarding KOs, they are getting really sophisticated, and it is harder and harder to tell a real one from a fake on eBay nowadays. However, if you go to tfw2005 or another Transformers board, you can see threads where people discuss the minute differences between KOs (often boxed) and real-deals. I don't know if the Encore series has a KO problem. It wouldn't seem like it would, since they are re-releases, anyway, and sellers couldn't make much of a profit producing KOs of re-releases.

--edit: just found this:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers...production.html

Edited by karamazov80

The new Universe toys suck. The only thing coming that I'm excited about are Cyclonus, Hound and Inferno. The rest sucks. Acid Storm is great, but look at what he is. Octane is okay, but had serious design flaws.

I'm wondering why there's such a far and away difference between Classics and Universe 2?

Can't wait for new Animated toys! And Robot heroes! Squee!

The new Universe toys suck. The only thing coming that I'm excited about are Cyclonus, Hound and Inferno. The rest sucks. Acid Storm is great, but look at what he is. Octane is okay, but had serious design flaws.

I'm wondering why there's such a far and away difference between Classics and Universe 2?

That's a bit harsh, eh? What's wrong with, say, Sunstreaker? As for Animated, have you found Ultra Magnus, Swoop, or Sentinal yet? I haven't seen head or hair of them. :(

I saw a Swoop in the store, but after being underwhelmed by Grimlock and triceratops (Snarl?), I passed. Then, I bought Soundwave, and posted my feelings in an earlier post. I hate the Animated toys, but dig the Universe ones, largely. I think that Prowl is a disappointment, but any dislike for others is that I just don't like the characters (Galvatron), or I don't remember them from childhood (guy with propeller hand, for instance).

Edited by karamazov80

That's a bit harsh, eh? What's wrong with, say, Sunstreaker? As for Animated, have you found Ultra Magnus, Swoop, or Sentinal yet? I haven't seen head or hair of them. :(

No. Classics served a purpose. it was never meant to be a full line. After the debacle with Botcon and the fans begging, after Alternators and Classics were both canned, they brought it back in Universe 2. The line is just like Universe 1, but with new molds. The new molds, however, are nothing like Classics. They are too far removed, too shottily constructed, too poorly engineered to even be held in the same esteem.

Let's take ironhide, shall we? Did you know Ironhide was meant to be the in the movie line? But the line didn't last long enough to warrant new molds (what? 3 years isn't long enough?) and so they remolded his head and dumped him in universe as ironhide. Yet he's nothing like what he should be.

Universe just doesn't do it for me, so i'm skipping it. That's fine, if you like it, all the more power to you. I just can't stand the fanwonk of "bezt thing evah! hasbro, plz take my virginity! wat? you doez it wrong! NOOOOOOOO!"

Yes. Animated rocks. I love it. haven't seen The new deluxes, nor magnus. Kinda a blessing, wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyways.

No. Classics served a purpose. it was never meant to be a full line. After the debacle with Botcon and the fans begging, after Alternators and Classics were both canned, they brought it back in Universe 2. The line is just like Universe 1, but with new molds. The new molds, however, are nothing like Classics. They are too far removed, too shottily constructed, too poorly engineered to even be held in the same esteem.

Let's take ironhide, shall we? Did you know Ironhide was meant to be the in the movie line? But the line didn't last long enough to warrant new molds (what? 3 years isn't long enough?) and so they remolded his head and dumped him in universe as ironhide. Yet he's nothing like what he should be.

Universe just doesn't do it for me, so i'm skipping it. That's fine, if you like it, all the more power to you. I just can't stand the fanwonk of "bezt thing evah! hasbro, plz take my virginity! wat? you doez it wrong! NOOOOOOOO!"

Yes. Animated rocks. I love it. haven't seen The new deluxes, nor magnus. Kinda a blessing, wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyways.

Where did you hear that about Ironhide?