UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Transformers Thread

Alpheon

There's no way anyone can look at that head sculpt and not tell me they had plans on a Rhinox repaint.

I think there's still something to the idea it started off as a Magnaboss figure, and then quickly evolved for the Predacon Wars.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

MP Bumblebee has arrived, and he is awesome (as is Wheeljack!). More MPs, please.

19d70f1a-fa52-492d-9ee7-ae910f2b8688_zps

DSC_0325_zps76381f00.jpg

DSC_0324_zpsbbb11ce0.jpg

Also, a very excellent looking 3rd party Megatron is coming out soon in the MP style, if anyone here missed it. Blows Hegemon clear out of the water, and I have a hard time imagining Takara improving much on the design.

0KFgwcm.jpg

Yeah... If I had MP10, this would be happening in a MILLISECOND.

As is, I'm glad I got 01 and never replaced him. It's kept me from buying everyone else. 10 is too tall for the Auto-cars, IMHO, and 01 would straight up tower over them.

Edited by Mnemosis

This is one thread that you're fairly safe from me but I was wondering if you're aware of Kinder Egg Transformers . T'other night I was in a local pub & I couldn't help but notice that there were some plastic guys sat on a shelf ? I engaged in quiet conversation with the bartender & he showed me a couple ........they are quite dreadful but I just thought I'd let you know that they exist ....although I guess that maybe you've all been talking about them for months !

Edited by buttheadsmate

He looks great, but I got a bit wary of the third party stuff when the paint started flaking off my 3P Huffer a few months after I bought him. From reading about that and QC issues on other figures, it seems like some of the factories they work with don't have the experience/standards to produce this stuff properly. That said, I'll probably still pick up that MP-scale Snarl because I don't see Takara ever making one, but I figure an official Megs will show up at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If you avoid the variants, and don't get sucked into the non-G1 stuff, you're usually looking at around 2-4 figures a year. Not too bad!

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

freaking awesome k80. That guy's done a ton of great stop motions. How's your Apollyon?

Not great, unfortunately. I just printed out the return shipping label to send him back to BBTS for a refund, as they wouldn't replace him or the damaged head he had. His eyebrows look like they were dragged over the cement, and there's a chip below his eye.

DSC_0803_zpsvlgnjej1.jpg

I pre-ordered one from the next production run, however, so hopefully I'll have better luck then. Of course, he looks fantastic, but he also feels pretty cheap, and had lots of loose/flimsy bits on him, including his shoulders and panels on the legs. But, growing pains of a new, smallish 3rd party company I guess.

• 2 years later...

I have not been impressed with a lot of Hasbro's stuff from the last few lines, but when I was out at Walgreens looking for Marvel Legends & Minimates, I found Chromedome on sale for $12.99, and his robot mode looked good enough that I picked him up. He's amazing. I love him. I'm even going to sell my Fansproject one (which was always too big for my preferred scale), because this is totally my default now.

I thought the "Evolution" aspect of Leader Power of the Primes Optimus with the Deluxe Orion Pax which was part of it, so I took an expensive change, and he's amazing. One of the best Primes I've gotten (I have a decent red/blue Optimus collection), despite his kind of loose ankles. 

Then I started seeing the new Dinobots at Target/Walmart/TRU, and thought they looked cool enough, but still wasn't going to get them. Until I found them on sale at Target for $12.99 (apparently, it's my gateway price, haha), so I snagged Snarl & Swoop. Upon opening them up, and being very impressed by them, I saw they combine with the new Grimlock that I definitely thought was cool, but ultimately felt like I didn't need, as my Masterpiece Grim is my default (yes, even for Classics/Generations/etc. - he's a dinosaur! He should be huge! I'm definitely not a "GeeWun Cartoon Scale" person, obviously, haha). But I liked the idea of a Dino-Gestalt enough that I ran back out and grabbed him.

I started seeing others either in store or online that I definitely though were cooler than others that turned me off so much (all of the Combiner Wars stuff was just awful in my opinion - definite steps down from my current collection of C/G/etc). Like, I prefer the Generations Blurr & RTS Jazz infinitely more than Titans Return or Power of the Primes. But I definitely went on a little spree, and got the most Hasbro Transformers I'd gotten in a long, long time.

0djjihf.jpg

Those look awesome! And d'oh! I meant Slug & Swoop. I was stuck on Transformers: Animated calling Slag "Snarl." If they won't call him "Slag" anymore, I do at least like "Slug."

The Power of the Primes Snarl & Sludge are supposedly hitting stores, so I hope I can find them after I get paid next week.

Good luck!

I kept hemming and hawing about going after nice, third party, masterpiece-styled dinobots.  And when I finally decide to track them down, some are really hard to find at a remotely reasonable price.  But apart from shiny gold vs. yellow, these Fanstoys figures look like they jumped off the TV screen in the way that other MP figures do.  I really dig them.  I've got Stomp (Sludge) and Perfect Fusion Cesium (Slag) on the way.  And I've also got a scaled up, MP-08 Grimlock on pre-order, which should be a nice stand in until/unless Fanstoys Grinder gets another re-release.

Here is my display from a week or so back (before I got Sever/Snarl).

6028a7496fb1958b5d84f30c91f5e361.jpga26f2651cad6b16c9ab204c0bdbd042d.jpg6056244d7304c3818b87ffc0bd6ab616.jpg2a9834899a0c9c8b0b882e9fb688cee9.jpgf49867dd1f09f53aec04203818ddf2ed.jpg

Edited by karamazov80