UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 80 for Marvel's 80th? Anyone? Anyone?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like a missed opportunity for a Deathlok through the Ages box set:  a red-eyed, American flag brandishing Luther Manning, a terrible AoS-inspired Henry Hayes, an energy-clawed X-Force Deathlok Prime, and (the forgotten one) the long-haired sewer dwelling aged Luther Manning.

It would be a super rad set that would haunt shelves for a lifetime.  But I would buy the heck out of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

I wonder if it it too late for a Luke variant? Maybe a Spider-Woman in her new duds and X-Force Deadpool two pack?

For a variant like that we would have to commit to 3000 sets, which is far higher than we could ever sell. For any exclusive nowadays it would have to be 1000 sets or less in order for us to be able to sell through, and DST can't justify a run that low at the factory. We have worked with them on different options, and the numbers just don't work. The only reason we were able to get 500 of the Multiple Man sets is because it was the exact same figure as in the full wave. I wish things were different, but it looks like the only way we are getting another Marvel exclusive is if it was an army builder 2-pack of a figure that is already in the wave. And unfortunately DST doesn't seem to be putting army builders in waves anymore, with Multiple Man being the lone exception across many recent series. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, luke314pi said:

For a variant like that we would have to commit to 3000 sets, which is far higher than we could ever sell. For any exclusive nowadays it would have to be 1000 sets or less in order for us to be able to sell through, and DST can't justify a run that low at the factory. We have worked with them on different options, and the numbers just don't work. The only reason we were able to get 500 of the Multiple Man sets is because it was the exact same figure as in the full wave. I wish things were different, but it looks like the only way we are getting another Marvel exclusive is if it was an army builder 2-pack of a figure that is already in the wave. And unfortunately DST doesn't seem to be putting army builders in waves anymore, with Multiple Man being the lone exception across many recent series. 

if and when, sign me up for 3-2 packs!  :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, luke314pi said:

For a variant like that we would have to commit to 3000 sets, which is far higher than we could ever sell. For any exclusive nowadays it would have to be 1000 sets or less in order for us to be able to sell through, and DST can't justify a run that low at the factory. We have worked with them on different options, and the numbers just don't work. The only reason we were able to get 500 of the Multiple Man sets is because it was the exact same figure as in the full wave. I wish things were different, but it looks like the only way we are getting another Marvel exclusive is if it was an army builder 2-pack of a figure that is already in the wave. And unfortunately DST doesn't seem to be putting army builders in waves anymore, with Multiple Man being the lone exception across many recent series. 

That's a solid response. Thank you. Can we give Luke a big round of applause for his transparency? It's quite refreshing.

Honestly, so many of us would jump at the chance for an army-builder at this point, Marvel or otherwise. Bonus points if it came with parts for alternate looks like the Heavy SHIELD Agent. Good lord, you'd sell out so fast.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Padrino said:

Shi'ar soldiers

Skrull Soldiers

Shield Soldiers

Amazons (generic figures to not antagonize DC)

Brotherhood of Raptors (in different colors)

The list goes on..., I would be on board for all of them

I'll take those & a quick easy way for army builders would be a re-release of previously made characters. No new tampos or tooling needed. AIM, Hydra, Hellfire Club, Vault Guards etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Padrino said:

Shi'ar soldiers

Skrull Soldiers

Shield Soldiers

Amazons (generic figures to not antagonize DC)

Brotherhood of Raptors (in different colors)

The list goes on..., I would be on board for all of them

I’d like to see updated AIM and Hydra soldiers the most. The old ones are kinda expensive and hard to find

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a proponent of a Hellions "army builder" -- it would just have the alternate heads & gear to do Jetstream, Empath and Thunderbird (Warpath).

Pack that with a female version of the costume with alt heads & gear for Roulette, Catseye & Tarot. 

Catseye would need another figure for her cat form, but the above would be drive the hardcore x-collectors to buy 3x each.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nessex said:

The what now.. ?!?!
giphy.gif

https://cmro.travis-starnes.com/groups_members.php?group_name=1322
 

sorry, fraternity of raptors. The original series had other darkhawk armors in different colors 

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Charles_Little_Sky_(Earth-616)

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Kistur_(Earth-616)

 

 

Edited by Padrino
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Padrino said:

Man I’d do anything for a Portal minimate, I’ve been trying to figure out how to do a custom or have one commissioned especially now that we have the Darkhawk head piece

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, luke314pi said:

For a variant like that we would have to commit to 3000 sets, which is far higher than we could ever sell. For any exclusive nowadays it would have to be 1000 sets or less in order for us to be able to sell through, and DST can't justify a run that low at the factory. We have worked with them on different options, and the numbers just don't work. The only reason we were able to get 500 of the Multiple Man sets is because it was the exact same figure as in the full wave. I wish things were different, but it looks like the only way we are getting another Marvel exclusive is if it was an army builder 2-pack of a figure that is already in the wave. And unfortunately DST doesn't seem to be putting army builders in waves anymore, with Multiple Man being the lone exception across many recent series. 

Could you do a kickstart for an army pack, Luke? Get the funds secured ahead of time and then order? If you offered incentives for supporting like sticker kits to make alternate characters or females, etc. I think you would encourage folks to order more.

Something like a Shield vs Hydra pack, where each characters has an alternate look and a weapon or accessory.

  • If you ordered 6 packs you would get a sticker kit with alternate faces
  • If you ordered 12 packs you would get an additional sticker kit that included female torsos and faces
  • If you ordered 24 packs you would get an additional assortment of weapons
  • 36 packs would get you a backdrop
  • etc.

Is this something that would even be feasible? I would be in for a lot of these, especially depending on the bonus incentives.

I know kickstarters are taboo here, but some sort of pre-order might work for this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Darkhawk said:

Man I’d do anything for a Portal minimate, I’ve been trying to figure out how to do a custom or have one commissioned especially now that we have the Darkhawk head piece

I started one with a guardsman minimate and vulture wings. the helmet almost passes. Then maybe gold pieces from the red king's armor?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, elhonez said:

I've been a proponent of a Hellions "army builder" -- it would just have the alternate heads & gear to do Jetstream, Empath and Thunderbird (Warpath).

Pack that with a female version of the costume with alt heads & gear for Roulette, Catseye & Tarot. 

Catseye would need another figure for her cat form, but the above would be drive the hardcore x-collectors to buy 3x each.

this would be amazing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

Could you do a kickstart for an army pack, Luke? Get the funds secured ahead of time and then order? If you offered incentives for supporting like sticker kits to make alternate characters or females, etc. I think you would encourage folks to order more.

Something like a Shield vs Hydra pack, where each characters has an alternate look and a weapon or accessory.

  • If you ordered 6 packs you would get a sticker kit with alternate faces
  • If you ordered 12 packs you would get an additional sticker kit that included female torsos and faces
  • If you ordered 24 packs you would get an additional assortment of weapons
  • 36 packs would get you a backdrop
  • etc.

Is this something that would even be feasible? I would be in for a lot of these, especially depending on the bonus incentives.

I know kickstarters are taboo here, but some sort of pre-order might work for this. 

This is a great idea, and I wish something like this could work. However the first hurdle is that in the past DST has not let us pick the contents of an exclusive, even when we had the full funds available and were willing to buy 3000 sets. We had to accept whatever they offered and had ready, which I can understand as it is their brand. 

The second hurdle is that if DST did agree to an army builder 2-pack, they likely would not design the sets unless we had the funding available, which we currently do not. And we would not be allowed to design the sets ourselves. So people would have to contribute to a Kickstarter without even seeing designs of the final product. 

The third hurdle is that DST would have to be ok with a Kickstarter happening - we couldn't do this without their permission as it involves their brand and products. The previous Kickstarter from he-who-shall-not-be-named could only happen because of his contract with Diamond, and the Dave School one got permission from DST. They might not want to allow a kickstarter after how the infamous one ended up. 

And finally, even if all of that worked out, I would still have my doubts that we could move 3000 sets to the current Minimate fanbase, even with many people buying larger quantities. Based on our sales projections, if we had bought more Multiple Man sets, we would have only sold about 600 total. Even if you tripled that amount based on a more popular army builder and multiple purchase incentives, you would still only be at 1800 sets. I am sorry for being so negative - I am normally a very positive and optimistic person. But I don't think this particular type of exclusive is in the cards right now. :(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, elhonez said:

I've been a proponent of a Hellions "army builder" -- it would just have the alternate heads & gear to do Jetstream, Empath and Thunderbird (Warpath).

Pack that with a female version of the costume with alt heads & gear for Roulette, Catseye & Tarot. 

Catseye would need another figure for her cat form, but the above would be drive the hardcore x-collectors to buy 3x each.

I'd buy 6 each just to have extras... :( I honestly would just take one of the males and one of the females in a two pack and buy like 10 of them and make customs at this point.

Edited by Chigarillo
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, luke314pi said:

This is a great idea, and I wish something like this could work. However the first hurdle is that in the past DST has not let us pick the contents of an exclusive, even when we had the full funds available and were willing to buy 3000 sets. We had to accept whatever they offered and had ready, which I can understand as it is their brand. 

The second hurdle is that if DST did agree to an army builder 2-pack, they likely would not design the sets unless we had the funding available, which we currently do not. And we would not be allowed to design the sets ourselves. So people would have to contribute to a Kickstarter without even seeing designs of the final product. 

The third hurdle is that DST would have to be ok with a Kickstarter happening - we couldn't do this without their permission as it involves their brand and products. The previous Kickstarter from he-who-shall-not-be-named could only happen because of his contract with Diamond, and the Dave School one got permission from DST. They might not want to allow a kickstarter after how the infamous one ended up. 

And finally, even if all of that worked out, I would still have my doubts that we could move 3000 sets to the current Minimate fanbase, even with many people buying larger quantities. Based on our sales projections, if we had bought more Multiple Man sets, we would have only sold about 600 total. Even if you tripled that amount based on a more popular army builder and multiple purchase incentives, you would still only be at 1800 sets. I am sorry for being so negative - I am normally a very positive and optimistic person. But I don't think this particular type of exclusive is in the cards right now. :(

 

I've been burned on a couple of kickstarters and am not backing any more.

However, if it was Luke, I would break this rule as I would be confident in getting my product at the end.

There's some positivity for you. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's a good evergreen army-builder for Marvel? 

I'm thinking about the kind of army-building character that either you can never have too many of or that should always be available for new collectors. Star Wars has stormtroopers, Alien has xenomorphs. Is there a single army-builder that a retailer could keep in stock for years, the kind of cart-topper that a shopper might say, "Yeah, I'll grab another one of those"?

It could be a single pack (in a box or a bag). It could be a 2-pack or the same figure or opposing figures (good vs. bad). I also considered a 4-pack of four different army-builders but I'd be afraid that collectors might favor some over the others and not order as many.

Who's the best candidate?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

What's a good evergreen army-builder for Marvel? 

I'm thinking about the kind of army-building character that either you can never have too many of or that should always be available for new collectors. Star Wars has stormtroopers, Alien has xenomorphs. Is there a single army-builder that a retailer could keep in stock for years, the kind of cart-topper that a shopper might say, "Yeah, I'll grab another one of those"?

It could be a single pack (in a box or a bag). It could be a 2-pack or the same figure or opposing figures (good vs. bad). I also considered a 4-pack of four different army-builders but I'd be afraid that collectors might favor some over the others and not order as many.

Who's the best candidate?

my suggestion was a shield agent, hydra agent, aim agent, sentinel or hellfire club.

make it a 4-pack and have it available for a long time.  i bought a ton of the crazy 88 packs but over the course of like 2 years.  i think it was 2 at a time every six months.  problem now is you gotta get it when its new or you miss out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...