UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 80 for Marvel's 80th? Anyone? Anyone?

elhonez

Problem with the Sentinel is that no matter how army-build able it is theyre always gonna be the wrong damn size. 
Hydra and SHIELD are probably the right answer but I also find them to be a somewhat boring answer and I’d like to find something that is a bit more dynamic and interesting even if it’s not as prevalent in the universe. 
And if it’s something where we’re choosing just one single enemy I think it kinda has to be a villain. Because where’s the fun in seeing the heroes go into a fight as an overwhelming force where the villain stands no chance?

I think the answer is the Hand. 
1. It fits over two major branches of the Marvel Universe: X-Men (because Wolverine) and the Street Heroes

2. Fuckin ninjas, man. Collecting a bunch of foot clan was a hell of a good time for Turtles. 

3. It’s neat to kit them out with a Buttload of Ninja Weapons instead of just guns. 

They’re not necessarily the right answer. That’s probably Hydra. But they’re the coolest answer. 

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you're right.  i think my original idea was the hand but i couldn't remember so i just thought of something quick.

not likely to happen regardless though so.....

i think a more doable idea would be a generic red ninja, a generic yellow scientiest, a generic green terrorist, and a generic special agent.  the problem with that is it would be less likely to get made since no one cares about generic non-licensed rando's.

I think a 4 pack of Hand, AIM, Genoshian Solider, Hydra could work but I still think the StarTrek 4 pack would kill it. Also would love a new mutant X costume and Hellion 4 pack with both male and female chests. Sadly I do think those days have passed.

22 hours ago, MisterPL said:

What's a good evergreen army-builder for Marvel? 

I'm thinking about the kind of army-building character that either you can never have too many of or that should always be available for new collectors. Star Wars has stormtroopers, Alien has xenomorphs. Is there a single army-builder that a retailer could keep in stock for years, the kind of cart-topper that a shopper might say, "Yeah, I'll grab another one of those"?

It could be a single pack (in a box or a bag). It could be a 2-pack or the same figure or opposing figures (good vs. bad). I also considered a 4-pack of four different army-builders but I'd be afraid that collectors might favor some over the others and not order as many.

Who's the best candidate?

Daleks . 

Not universally realised,  'daleks' were once a separate licence from Doctor Who & the ability to sell 'daleks' without even mentioning Doctor Who is still a very grey area.

After nearly 60 years daleks, of nearly any description, are still fantastically popular . Maybe not so much in the US but in ol' blighty they most definitely are. 

I'm actually not a Dr.Who 'nut' but I have never really beaten off my adoration of the daleks & I am far from being alone.

Daleks 'fit' with just about any licence going . Daleks are the nastiest ,most violent,pitiless , merciless cyborg aliens of all .

Kirk ,Vader ,Stark & Batman  would collectively shit themselves confronting a single dalek . 

Daleks work well with nigh on anything ( any toy) as they themselves are so alien (to anything else ).

I have some minimate-scale daleks & they look bloody superb with almost any minimate from any licence . 

Daleks .

Panini has just released 'The Daleks bookazine'. The stories aren't new to me but I just had to have it . It is something that any SF fan must have . Forget 'Doctor Who' this graphic novel has no reference to him whatsoever.  Superb artwork & just an awesome addition to your collection ,

Available in the US soon.

-buttexterminimate

Edited by buttheadsmate

For what it's worth, I think the move would be to make ''Versus" box sets.  So like, Hydra v SHIELD, Kree V Skrull, SWORD v... Brood?, err.. you get where I'm going:  Instead of a big mixed bag of various henchmen, or a straight set of the same figure (like the crazy 88s set), you'd have a bit of variety and a built in play structure along with your army building.

I still doubt it would fly off the shelves, but it would be worth a shot.

On 12/12/2020 at 4:32 PM, funkguerilla said:

For what it's worth, I think the move would be to make ''Versus" box sets.  So like, Hydra v SHIELD, Kree V Skrull, SWORD v... Brood?

That's where I'm leaning as well. Whatever it happens to be I'd like enough parts to allow for some variety. Alternate helmets, weapons, armor... stuff like that if it's appropriate.

But I do like the idea of a 4-pack of Hand Minimates. Bring on the bad guys. 

On 12/12/2020 at 7:08 AM, buttheadsmate said:

Daleks . 

Not universally realised,  'daleks' were once a separate licence from Doctor Who & the ability to sell 'daleks' without even mentioning Doctor Who is still a very grey area.

After nearly 60 years daleks, of nearly any description, are still fantastically popular . Maybe not so much in the US but in ol' blighty they most definitely are. 

I'm actually not a Dr.Who 'nut' but I have never really beaten off my adoration of the daleks & I am far from being alone.

Daleks 'fit' with just about any licence going . Daleks are the nastiest ,most violent,pitiless , merciless cyborg aliens of all .

Kirk ,Vader ,Stark & Batman  would collectively shit themselves confronting a single dalek . 

Daleks work well with nigh on anything ( any toy) as they themselves are so alien (to anything else ).

I have some minimate-scale daleks & they look bloody superb with almost any minimate from any licence . 

Daleks .

Panini has just released 'The Daleks bookazine'. The stories aren't new to me but I just had to have it . It is something that any SF fan must have . Forget 'Doctor Who' this graphic novel has no reference to him whatsoever.  Superb artwork & just an awesome addition to your collection ,

Available in the US soon.

-buttexterminimate

Marvel actually created a Dr. Who knockoff, and Dalek knockoffs, in the pages of Heroes for Hire.

His name was Professor Gamble, and the Dalek-alikes were "Incinerators." And in a shameless plug, I'll share a pic here of a mostly-quick custom I did:

21142928922_bb2198f567.jpg

Edited by elhonez

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MisterPL said:

It's almost like they lost a major mass market retailer and there was a global pandemic affecting production and sales.

Honestly, talk to Trek collectors about how long they've been waiting for the Enterprise C to be solicited.

You forgot a tariff war but solid burn on the Enterprise C. 

I think the worst part about it is how lackluster a wave this is for me. 
All I see when I look at 80 is an obstacle between me and the incredible looking 81/82. 

That being said I’ll probably get Ghost.