UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 80 for Marvel's 80th? Anyone? Anyone?

elhonez

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

I plan to do make a big deal of Series 80, but I do wonder if hearing a toy line is at 80 series would make people more or less interested in starting a collection. Availability and all that. Celebrating the 80th Birthday of a universe or character is different. Comics have omnibuses.

thoughts?

I’m probably going to toe this line solo but I would make a bigger deal out of 80 years of Marvel and not 80 waves since that number could be argued and isn’t too friendly for new people. I do think character selection is more crucial and personally I would pull a Disney and celebrate 80 years for a year. 

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

80 at 80 would be a catchy gimmick. 80 on it's own not so much. 100 is a celebration. I don't think it would cause people to shy away. It's a round number and it's so many that no one would worry about having to catch up. I have a friend that got into Magic rather than a new card game precisely because he wouldn't feel the need to get them all.

5 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I plan to do make a big deal of Series 80, but I do wonder if hearing a toy line is at 80 series would make people more or less interested in starting a collection. Availability and all that. Celebrating the 80th Birthday of a universe or character is different. Comics have omnibuses.

thoughts?

I think while it depends, as a newer minimate enthusiast (as in, if I look at it and it has a character I want/need, I'm going to buy it) I'd say make a big deal out of it.  Wasn't the old adage with comic books that any issue will be someone's first?  Same thing goes with these - people who fall in love at Wave 80 will love to be part of the fun.  

14 hours ago, DSTZach said:

thoughts?

It's funny, it's one of those things that illustrates how collecting has changed. It used to be that having a long-running series was a sign of stability, but now it's seen more as an impediment. Anyway, in this case I think 80 for 80 would be a good hook, and a great way for Marvel Minimates to say "hey, we're still out here!" to the wider collecting community.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:39 PM, DSTZach said:

thoughts?

Wave 80 with a tie in with Marvel 80th then yea I can see that 80 by itself not so much.

I'm not thumbing the idea down just 80 seems like a weird number. 50, 75, 100 I can understand. As for if the wave number and back catalogue would stop somebody start collecting I would say no if someone sees a figure they like they will buy it no matter what comes before. Minimates of the core marvel figures are available or being cycled back into production in new ways (Last Hunt Spidey.)  In my eyes there is only small percentage of early exclusives that are hard to get and maybe they now could be revisited seeing as even the stores they where exclusive to no longer exist.

In the end promote the hell out of wave 80 as there is no thing as bad publicity or so they say.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:27 AM, Polarboy said:

Maybe if they did a wave 80 celebration it might be good to note on or in the packaging about the best of waves and make sure they are about if new people happen along and want a Loki and a Wolverine they are easy pleased.

THIS! And just make them available on the online store, Luke's and Amazon..

On 8/19/2019 at 7:39 PM, DSTZach said:

thoughts?

DST can select most of the A-list characters and a few B- list, even a couple of C-list, all in classic outfits, like first appearances or drawn by renowned artists in the golden age.

Or, instead of the Best of / Greatest Hits wave, select the most wanted minimates, new or redo, whatever.

Or do a mix of new Greatest Hits characters together with the most wanted.

9 hours ago, AFMcGill said:

This seems like 3 pages of hoping for something that's probably not going to happen.

My read from Zach is that regardless, they'll trumpet the 80th series as a milestone. 

To answer his prompt though: no, I don't think highlighting the longevity of a series is a deterrent to new collectors. But you do want to toe that line, and have folks spend less time on eBay, and more time in LCS and Walgreens buying new product.

Devil's Advocate thoughts:

1) Zeroing out the count with a big re-launch could be an interesting push for the line.

2) Exploring different form factors would be cool - I love the BAF model, but what about singles in the form of "Ultimates" - marquee characters with multiple heads, bases, all of the accessories from the past. I'm thinking for example: Spider-Man with half-mask head, Peter head, stressed expression, web wrap base, web grab hand, thwip hands, camera, backpack, web lines, web shooter accessories, etc. Or a totally gonzo Mr. Fantastic with tons of limb accessories. Punisher with an insane armory. This could also be a sub-line rather than a formal re-launch.

I’d buy the hell out of an Ultimate Mr Fantastic but only if I knew I’d be getting the rest of the FF in that costume as well. [glares at Best Of Mr Fantastic]

Ultimate Venom with tentacle attachments, exploding symbiotic base, and an unattached symbiote accessory as well as a Spider symbol chest and a blank chest? Plus the ability to make him hella buff or a skinny boy. 

It's my understanding that DST abandoned the Best of/Greatest Hits assortments. Zach can correct me if I'm mistaken.

Either way, if Series 80 offers a way for newbies to jump in and for veterans to gladly add to their ranks via alternate looks (Baghead Spidey, I'm looking at you), that'd be ideal.

On 8/30/2019 at 11:41 AM, elhonez said:

Yessir, I like it. 

"Marvel MiniMates: Ulti-Mates"

If it meant extra hands so I don’t have to have so many Jesus and Puck fodder I am beyond in. Thinking about it, I would love it to be like the DST select sets but a Minimate. Like if you gave me an ulti-mate Psylocke that came with part of a danger room, that martial arts thing, multiple hands, the butterfly effect, her psi blades, and another head (maybe 2 with a Crimson Dawn Effect) and I would be in Heaven. 

Edited by thereasonsy

• 1 month later...

With 80 apparently being street themed I know it’s not gonna be X-Men related but not gonna lie I’d really like a House/Powers of X Wave 

Xavier/White Queen

Magneto/Cypher

Apocalypse/Sinister

Moira X/Goldballs

BAF of Nimrod

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Hellcat, Kate Bishop, and Hawkguy would all be great to see.

Yeah I am going to swing big here and go with:

Hellcat

Kate Bishop

Mockingbird

Shang Chi

Scarlet Spider

U.S. Agent update.

Night Thrasher

Sons of Serpent Villain.

and Misty Knight for the BAF

On 10/12/2019 at 3:10 AM, Trekker 42 said:

With 80 apparently being street themed I know it’s not gonna be X-Men related but not gonna lie I’d really like a House/Powers of X Wave 

Xavier/White Queen

Magneto/Cypher

Hide contents

Apocalypse/Sinister

Moira X/Goldballs

BAF of Nimrod

YES, I like the lineup, Only others I would like to see would be...

Spoiler

Cardinal, Rasputin, Xorn as Death, Exodus

And if we're getting Goldballs, I'd also like the other members of the 5 that we don't have yet; Elixir, Proteus and Tempus